It's time to buy a new TV

Thats why mate if you have invested in a top end set, spend the time and learn how to manually set every single aspect of the picture up.

I have a Sony Bravia W905 which cost me a small fortune a few years back but after spending a few hours on the net reading up from the experts, using tools like THX optimiser and then an hour configuring, the picture is a thing of beauty.

You have to do a little bit of work but if you can be arsed, you get a magnificent picture.
I had a Sony Bravia, fucked after 5 years so I tipped it and bought a 47" smart 3d LG. I'll never buy Sony again mate, yesterdays TV technology. LG and Samsung are global market leaders, and there's a good reason as to why.

Thats why mate if you have invested in a top end set, spend the time and learn how to manually set every single aspect of the picture up.

I have a Sony Bravia W905 which cost me a small fortune a few years back but after spending a few hours on the net reading up from the experts, using tools like THX optimiser and then an hour configuring, the picture is a thing of beauty.

You have to do a little bit of work but if you can be arsed, you get a magnificent picture.

Do you have to mess with it everytime you watch something different?
ie: Sports - movies - t.v shows etc..?

Do you have to mess with it everytime you watch something different?
ie: Sports - movies - t.v shows etc..?

No mate. I set up each one separately, movies day/movies night, sports, gaming etc and then just switch between the modes on the remote for what im watching.

Seriously the TV you have paid a small fortune for really is top quality if you can be bothered to just do a little bit of research and work.

Whenever I read online or go to a shop they always say LG and Samsung. I never see plasma for sale anymore, do they sell them in England much?

Couldnt agree more my friend.

Any calibration disc is likely to improve the picture but my point refers to the white point being incorrect on most TV sets.
You may be lucky and it is at D65 (6500 degrees Kelvin) but most are not, in fact mine on receipt was a ridiculous 9000 K. Improving the picture via any calibration disc (most are free downloads that you can burn to disc) is worthwhile and as long as you turn off the smart settings on your TV (eg dynamic, ambient etc.) your picture should improve.

Sure I could just use any calibration disc to set the basics but the overall picture would be wrong because my mix of red green and blue at the white point (its datum point) is wrong compared with the source material. If you are not bothered about it reproducing the source accurately then no problem and enjoy.

Unfortunately adjusting this white point temperature upsets all the other colour settings and they are non linear so they require calibration with a light meter and software such as Chromapure or light Illusion but that is beyond where most of us want to go.

I had a Sony Bravia, fucked after 5 years so I tipped it and bought a 47" smart 3d LG. I'll never buy Sony again mate, yesterdays TV technology. LG and Samsung are global market leaders, and there's a good reason as to why.

Not saying for a moment i would go Bravia again but my W905 is an incredible set even to this day and the reviews it received are outstanding.

Should be given its price at the time lol.

Have to admit to really wanting to go 4k but honestly i sit here looking at my set and think how can it be any better?

Not saying for a moment i would go Bravia again but my W905 is an incredible set even to this day and the reviews it received are outstanding.

Have to admit to really wanting to go 4k but honestly i sit here looking at my set and think how can it be any better?

What about this Sony offering.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-bravia-kd-65zd9-zd9-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-tv-review.12797

Even at that price the calibration was not perfect as you may read in the dialogue.

If you're happy with it then fine mate. I went in to Currys when I bought mine as a friend recommended a Samsung, and I went in the shop thinking I was going to buy a Samsung. The sales advisor pointed to the LG for the spec and price, and the picture quality was excellent.

I bought the TV there and then 42".When I got home I price matched it on Google and saw I could of bought same model and 47" for £50 extra online from co op electrical. Took it back to Currys, got a refund and bought online.

Although it's not 4k, I've heard that it has 4k capability and can be upgraded. Can anyone confirm If true?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.