I've got a drink problem.

Ducado said:
andyhinch said:
Good luck it's a battle

I don't like that term, a battle implies a struggle, which to most people is hard work, when in fact not drinking is very easy you just don't drink for one day, one hour, one moment, it becomes quite easy when people stop fighting it, it's the same for most things in life, resistance is counter productive, acceptance of the problem is the starting point

I know you are a mod and I risk a ban but that is fucking baloney.

Ducado said:
citysquire said:
Ducado said:
I don't like that term, a battle implies a struggle, which to most people is hard work, when in fact not drinking is very easy you just don't drink for one day, one hour, one moment, it becomes quite easy when people stop fighting it, it's the same for most things in life, resistance is counter productive, acceptance of the problem is the starting point

It's different if someone is physically addicted to something, though. It's the viscious circle of continuing having a drink to make sure you don't get ill which, in turn, perpetuates your drinking. If it was as easy as just not drinking then addictions wouldn't exist.

Do people get physically addicted to alcohol? It's more a mental addiction and habit, sure some alcoholics suffer withdrawal symptoms most don't though and there are drugs that can help, we get into the mindset that something is difficult, we tell everyone it's difficult and it becomes difficult, it's just a story, we tell ourselves, it makes us feel better, it's a good excuse for another round of self destruction, it's difficult.

I appreciate what you're saying but alcohol is 100% physically addictive if it's abused; you said yourself that there are drugs to help minimise withdrawls - because alcohol IS physically addictive.

Like any foreign substance that you CONSTANTLY put in to your body over a period of time, it changes your physiology. If someone abuses alcohol their body adapts to function with this new chemical. If, then, an abuser suddenly stops putting the foreign substance into their body, their modified chemistry is no longer correct; this is what leads to the withdrawl syptoms that many people suffer.

citysquire said:
Ducado said:
citysquire said:
It's different if someone is physically addicted to something, though. It's the viscious circle of continuing having a drink to make sure you don't get ill which, in turn, perpetuates your drinking. If it was as easy as just not drinking then addictions wouldn't exist.

Do people get physically addicted to alcohol? It's more a mental addiction and habit, sure some alcoholics suffer withdrawal symptoms most don't though and there are drugs that can help, we get into the mindset that something is difficult, we tell everyone it's difficult and it becomes difficult, it's just a story, we tell ourselves, it makes us feel better, it's a good excuse for another round of self destruction, it's difficult.

I appreciate what you're saying but alcohol is 100% physically addictive if it's abused; you said yourself that there are drugs to help minimise withdrawls - because alcohol IS physically addictive.

Like any foreign substance that you CONSTANTLY put in to your body over a period of time, it changes your physiology. If someone abuses alcohol their body adapts to function with this new chemical. If, then, an abuser suddenly stops putting the foreign substance into their body, their modified chemistry is no longer correct; this is what leads to the withdrawl syptoms that many people suffer.
That is very over simplified, it is a physical addition in its self but that is only part of the problem and that bit is very diverse

Kun Aguero said:
Ducado said:
andyhinch said:
Good luck it's a battle

Why would you be banned for disagreeing with me, your allowed to you know!

The problem is the story is self perpetuating, it's difficult when you don't want to stop doing something sure because you are splitting yourself in two, the trick is wanting to do something, if the desire is there a problem drinker will stop drinking, I can show you millions of sober alcoholics around the world to prove my point, I can also show you ex smokers, ex drug addicts and ex lots of other social ills, it's all about the desire

andyhinch said:
citysquire said:
Ducado said:

That is very over simplified, it is a physical addition in its self but that is only part of the problem and that bit is very diverse

I'm hardly going to go in to an in-depth essay about the complexities of alcohol addiction, am I? Books and papers have been written about that! I'm merely stating that alcohol, if abused, is physically addictive. That's all.

citysquire said:
andyhinch said:
citysquire said:

I'm hardly going to go in to an in-depth essay about the complexities of alcohol addiction, am I? Books and papers have been written about that! I'm merely stating that alcohol, if abused, is physically addictive. That's all.
That's the thing it's not simple, you can come off it Librium etc but its also how your brains wired

andyhinch said:
citysquire said:
andyhinch said:

That's the thing it's not simple, you can come off it Librium etc but its also how your brains wired

I completely agree with you. What works for one might not work for another. Everyone's wired differently (excuse the pun). Which is why I disagreed with the original comment that ''it's easy to not drink, you just have to not drink''.

citysquire said:
andyhinch said:
citysquire said:

I completely agree with you. What works for one might not work for another. Everyone's wired differently (excuse the pun). Which is why I disagreed with the original comment that ''it's easy to not drink, you just have to not drink''.
I think we're in agreement there's a physical addiction and you can die from just stopping but it's more deep routed, I was in a coma with complete organ failure a few years ago, the Docs gave me about 1% chance, still drink but try to be sensible

andyhinch said:
citysquire said:
andyhinch said:

I think we're in agreement there's a physical addiction and you can die from just stopping but it's more deep routed, I was in a coma with complete organ failure a few years ago, the Docs gave me about 1% chance, still drink but try to be sensible

Bloody hell.

Well I hope you're well now, mate. Phenomenal recovery.

Ducado said:
Kun Aguero said:
Ducado said:

Why would you be banned for disagreeing with me, your allowed to you know!

The problem is the story is self perpetuating, it's difficult when you don't want to stop doing something sure because you are splitting yourself in two, the trick is wanting to do something, if the desire is there a problem drinker will stop drinking, I can show you millions of sober alcoholics around the world to prove my point, I can also show you ex smokers, ex drug addicts and ex lots of other social ills, it's all about the desire

I recently did some work in contact with drug and alcohol abusers. I was amazed at the problems alcohol causes and it is much harder to come off than the harder drugs.

Seems that it is both physical and mental but what was explained to me was that stopping heroin will not kill you. Stopping alcohol could kill you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.