Jack Grealish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker, first time poster here (probably because this is the first time I’ve had anything of interest to say).

I was told yesterday that it’s all a bit quiet atm because our fine chairman wants to announce both Kane and Grealish together. The source is high up at the club but not actively involved in transfers, so take it with a pinch of salt. Fingers crossed though!
Not another one

No, just that I don't think a top notch Grealish beats a top notch Berny. I don't see him as an improvement to the squad - yes, he'll give us depth if Berny stays, but, I just don't think he's a top player - or, a £90m player, which is what it seems from the media that we're likely to have to pay.
I can't help thinking that he'll be our 21st century Rodney Marsh - yes, I am that old - has a trick; no pace; likes to pose; doesn't work off the ball. Marsh split opinion big time amongst City fans. Grealish might well do the same, if he ever arrives.
I hope he proves me wrong if we do sign him.
No pace?!
Not another one
He's another death or glory merchant.

I think a reasonable degree of comparison (not identical in all points, obviously) of the situation for Villa and Spurs fans is us and Shaun Wright-Phillips. Obviously if you've got a very talented young player at your gaff you don't want them to leave for higher wages/a bigger club/more likelihood of trophies. You want them to stay with you and dream about them helping your club/team make a step up (not trophies immediately, of course — but it takes bricks to make a house). I would like people to hold up their hands, think back and say if they were enraged by it at the time. Personally, I can genuinely say I wasn't. Deeply sad, yes. But it was just in the order of things, by that point. It was the way football was. I was pretty philosophical. As it turned out, it didn't really amount to a career changing move for SWP. As I remember it, he spent a lot of time on the bench at Chelsea. Which seemed like a waste.
Actually, I say it's the way football was at that time. But thinking back, it's much older: I'd be curious to know what the feeling was of, say, a lifelong Watford supporter when Liverpool just rocked up and swooped for John Barnes, saying “I'll have that!”. Probably the best player Watford ever had, although it seems to have been airbrushed out of football history (not least by the player himself — you'd think he'd been born on Scotland Road).
Excellent analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.