Jack Rodwell

Great business for us.

We should be strengthening Sunderland as much as possible.

They're going to get their annual three points at the Stadium of Light against us, so we might as well try and make them more capable of getting points of title rivals aswell.

For any lurking Sunderland fans, this is my opinion on Rodwell (from what little we've seen of him)

Other than his injury problems, Rodwell has 2 main weaknesses.
1) He tends to ball watch instead of making space to receive a pass, plenty of times Yaya would end up having to direct him about (he got a bollocking on at least 1 occasion that I remember) and
2) He's not a commanding presence, he doesn't use his size to his advantage. He should bulk up a bit as well imo.

Other than that he has a good engine, is tidy on the ball and has 2 good feet. He's quite Henderson-like but with more of a goal threat. With time and luck (with injuries) he can be better than Henderson.

You should look for a torrent of our 3-2 home loss to Norwich at the end of the 12/13 season to see probably his best game for us

ElanJo said:
For any lurking Sunderland fans, this is my opinion on Rodwell (from what little we've seen of him)

1) He tends to ball watch instead of making space to receive a pass, plenty of times Yaya would end up having to direct him about (he got a bollocking on at least 1 occasion that I remember) and
2) He's not a commanding presence, he doesn't use his size to his advantage. He should bulk up a bit as well imo.

Other than that he has a good engine, is tidy on the ball and has 2 good feet. He's quite Henderson-like but with more of a goal threat. With time and luck (with injuries) he can be better than Henderson.

You should look for a torrent of our 3-2 home loss to Norwich at the end of the 12/13 season to see probably his best game for us

I think his build is fine,plenty strong enough.

As for the Henderson comparison? not for me,Rodwell doesn't have the same tenacity or workrate,however,i think he is more elegant in his play.

Best wishes to him,a great pro with a great attitude,a shame it didn't work here.

whp.blue said:
LoveCity said:
Amazing what an English passport can do for a player's price tag!

Zuculini cost us £1.5m and looks a comparable if not superior talent. If Zuculini regularly showed what he did for us in preseason and was English, he would probably already have a £15m price tag attached to him.

If Txiki can get £15m combined for Micah, Sinclair and Guidetti now, he deserves a statue outside the ground.

if he gets that amount he will probably be arrested for extortion

he wont get a quarter of that
If we can get deals sorted it'll be a combined £18 million.

Personally I would have preferred to have loaned him out for the season as if he stays fit and has a solid season then his valuation will instantly double. On the other hand £10 million based on his form for us is a very good deal.

I don't think Rodwell will look back on his time here with us as anything negative. He will know by Khaldoon's interview last season that he was brought in to compete for a first team place and he has shown in brief glimpses that he could have been a star here. Unfortunately his inability to stay fit is the sole reason why he hasn't fulfilled his potential here. I remember he had a brief stint in the team where he was IMO MOTM against Chelsea and played well in the previous game but just when we thought we were seeing the proper Rodwell he went and got injured against Villa.

On a whole his time here will probably be the highlight of his career. No matter what he does now he will have a PL and COC winners medal and be financially set for life. Also he is still young enough to carve out a good career at a club like Sunderland. Personally I wish him all the best.

FantasyIreland said:
ElanJo said:

I think his build is fine,plenty strong enough.

As for the Henderson comparison? not for me,Rodwell doesn't have the same tenacity or workrate,however,i think he is more elegant in his play.

Best wishes to him,a great pro with a great attitude,a shame it didn't work here.

he does have the work rate, problem is when he uses it he normally goes round making 4 silly challenges in 10 minutes and getting himself booked, before giving the ball away and usually costing us a goal.

He can do well at Sunderland though, his level, may end up at a Spurs one day, and with 20/30 odd England caps in and around his injuries, but quickly buried away by the talent that emerges from the likes of our academy.

"As for the Henderson comparison? not for me,"

Likewise. He's more in the Fernandinho school of midfielders.
Nowhere near as good as the Brazilain yet and may never be but - if he stays fit - that is the mould he'll develop in.

58 starts in 7 years.

10 million quid.

partridge300.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.