Jacob Rees-Mogg

Quick question: Do people think Rees-Mogg, Johnson and various other public school educated gerbils actually hate the working class, or do they just not care about them?

Just don't care - to hate something requires thought and effort - things they dislike so the working class and poor people in general are just treated with disdain

Quick question: Do people think Rees-Mogg, Johnson and various other public school educated gerbils actually hate the working class, or do they just not care about them?
The simple answer is: it depends which one.

Taking the examples you’ve cited:

For all his many manifest faults, Johnson has charisma and well developed social skills which I expect he enjoys exercising with people from all sorts of social backgrounds. I think if he despised working class people per se he would not be able to do that to such effect. I also think his narcissism is such that he views his man of the people skills as being central to his appeal and he will therefore take particular gratification from connecting with working class people. So I don’t think he hates them, no.

Rees-Mogg will despise the working class, or at very least view them with complete contempt, which surely amounts to the same thing.

Also, there will be plenty of public school educated politicians who will view everyone the same. Tony Benn certainly didn’t look down his nose at the working classes. Nor did Tony Blair.

The simple answer is: it depends which one.

Taking the examples you’ve cited:

For all his many manifest faults, Johnson has charisma and well developed social skills which I expect he enjoys exercising with people from all sorts of social backgrounds. I think if he despised working class people per se he would not be able to do that to such effect. I also think his narcissism is such that he views his man of the people skills as being central to his appeal and he will therefore take particular gratification from connecting with working class people. So I don’t think he hates them, no.

Rees-Mogg will despise the working class, or at very least view them with complete contempt, which surely amounts to the same thing.

Also, there will be plenty of public school educated politicians who will view everyone the same. Tony Benn certainly didn’t look down his nose at the working classes. Nor did Tony Blair.
I wasn't considering public school educated Labour MPs or ministers as I doubt they could rise to prominence in the party while looking down on the working class.
I agree with your comments about JRM as he exudes an aura of superiority which is less evident from other senior Tories. Plenty have an "I know better" attitude, but Mogg seems to have an "I AM better" attitude".

Rees-Mogg's mother was from a working class family. Her father was a lorry driver.
It wouldn't surprise me. He's so performatively upper class that you can't help but think he's compensating for something. Probably was the least posh boy in his class and got bullied for it, or something.

Rees-Mogg's mother was from a working class family. Her father was a lorry driver.
I’ll hazard she wasn’t raised as working class, though. He dad may have started as a lorry driver, but later became a Tory councillor, Mayor of St Pancras and was a Magistrate. Seems to have made himsmoney from flogging cars (not that there’s anything wrong with that). I’ll lay a pound to a pinch of shit that she was raised as middle class, even if her father had working class roots.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.