James Maddison or Jack Grealish? Who is the better young English talent?

All part of the game to be fair. Them free kicks results in goals and wins. Plus he’s way more than that.
Personally think he's a very overrated player in a terrible side.

Put him in a top class team with discipline and he would be utterly out of his depth. Mid table team player at best.

I’ve watched Phil Foden on the same pitch as Jack Grealish three times this season, in the flesh, and it wasn’t even close in terms of who was the better player!

Phil Foden was better on every level!

And take away the players around them: Phil’s first touch, dribbling ability, speed, skill, passing, defensive work, determination to stay on his feet and ride tackles to be able to set up a forward move... was all on another level to Grealish, and Phil is five years younger!

Last edited by a moderator:
All part of the game to be fair. Them free kicks results in goals and wins. Plus he’s way more than that.
Like my point above, if you can be bothered (I know I probably wouldn’t if someone told me to watch a full game back of another club); watch this season’s EFL Cup final back and take a look at Phil Foden on numerous occasions work hard to ride tickles and be determined to stay on his feet and run into the space off the back of that to set up an attacking move... and watch Grealish just fall over and dive over at every opportunity. Grealish didn’t even fool the ref on most of them and he just lost the ball and we got it back.

The difference in attitude was stark. Watching Foden is like watching a player from another era. I’ve not seen a young player with the determination to stay on his feet like Foden for a long time. Then watching Grealish even after a blatant dive punch the floor with terrible acting like he was appalled that the officials didn’t fall for his theatrics.

It’s refreshing!

And it shows that all this “all part of the game” argument doesn’t hold water when you see the positive play that comes off the back of Foden staying on his feet when he could easily go down.

And this isn’t a “just because he plays for City” thing, because when Gabriel Jesus first came to us, he was on the deck more than he was stood on his feet and it used to drive me up the wall and no matter how good he was, every comment I ever made about him ended with “but he needs to stop diving”... and he has stopped diving!

Grealish takes the easy way out, even if it’s cheating, he gets upset too easily, he gets too angry to easily, he’s as interested in getting under the officials’ skin as he is playing the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like my point above, if you can be bothered (I know I probably wouldn’t if someone told me to watch a full game back of another club); watch this season’s EFL Cup final back and take a look at Phil Foden on numerous occasions work hard to ride tickles and be determined to stay on his feet and run into the space off the back of that to set up an attacking move... and watch Grealish just fall over and dive over at every opportunity. Grealish didn’t even fool the ref on most of them and he just lost the ball and we got it back.

True, but would he need to resort to that if he played for City ?

I've seen Grealish go down like a sack of spuds on numerous occasions but he's doing that because he has very little options around him, or he's slowing the game down as Villa are tiring etc, it's not great to watch but if he's on your team, that is very much appreciated.

Under City and Pep coaching him, i reckon you would see that far less and with the skill and composure he has, he could be some player for you.

Grealish is massively overrated drifts in and out games only produces a couple of moments in a season, not sure he knows his best position himself. Maddison is much more consistent in a better team mind

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.