James McAtee

It's got nothing to do with whether you think Pep is a genius or not, it was a chance to let young players prove what they can do, in a match against good opposition where the outcome doesn't matter, and we didnt give them that chance, and that's crap.
Or maybe the sports science department told Pep that some senior players needed minutes in order to try and get themselves match fit for the business end of the season that’s coming soon?
Maybe Pep thought it was far more important to get players back on the pitch that will be needed going forward when Injuries and fatigue kick in.
He’s done the same thing season after season, always trying to keep as many fringe players happy as he can whilst maintaining a balance which benefits us later on.

Or he might just think they aren’t quite as good as some others do right now.

The main reason people are making such a big deal about it is because we lost.

Or maybe the sports science department told Pep that some senior players needed minutes in order to try and get themselves match fit for the business end of the season that’s coming soon?
Maybe Pep thought it was far more important to get players back on the pitch that will be needed going forward when Injuries and fatigue kick in.
He’s done the same thing season after season, always trying to keep as many fringe players happy as he can whilst maintaining a balance which benefits us later on.

I don’t agree with your last point. Most people didn’t care about the result. From my own perspective it was disappointing to not see Palmer or Mcatee get meaningful minutes in a game that didn’t really mean anything.

I don’t agree with your last point. Most people didn’t care about the result. From my own perspective it was disappointing to not see Palmer or Mcatee get meaningful minutes in a game that didn’t really mean anything.
But my overall point was we don’t know the reasons Pep chose the team he did and there are several things to take into account before we rush to the idea he doesn’t trust the kids or rate them.

You can get your senior players up to speed with some intense training sessions at the training ground, playing the seniors players in a dead rubber made no sense, not only did we missed the chance to give the EDS boys some experience at the biggest stage we also lost one of our top performers this season and it could have been worse if Gundo or Mahrez had picked up a knock.

You can get your senior players up to speed with some intense training sessions at the training ground, playing the seniors players in a dead rubber made no sense, not only did we missed the chance to give the EDS boys some experience at the biggest stage we also lost one of our top performers this season and it could have been worse if Gundo or Mahrez had picked up a knock.
Only Walker is responsible for his "loss". Gundo or Mahrez could pick up a knock at home, in "intense training sessions" or in the warm up just the same as any other squad member, they didn't, nor did Cole or James. A senior player may not prefer getting up to speed at the training ground, playing in the CL is what most want, even if it is a "dead rubber".

Spot on.

It had fuck all to do with a loss,that just happened to exacerbate the hollowness of the event.

Pep got it wrong,but hopefully that's this seasons lot.

I've said this before, i love Pep, i would give him a 10 year contract today. He's the best there is but he should have gave the academy lads some meaningful minutes, end of. It's neglectful of him not to imo. At our level you will only get a couple of chances to do it with no risk. Tuesday was one of them.
Pretty much my view this. That was a gimme game for some of our younger players and all we saw was players who thought that they should not be playing in a dead rubber whilst the younger players would have got some great experience. Not a criticism of Pep, just an alternative layman, supporter's view.

Even more of a crazy decision for Gundogan to start and play the full 90 against Leipzig now we know he’s been struggling with a bad back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.