James McAtee

How did he get on on Sat?
Wouldn’t say bad but wouldn’t say great. Against Fulham his cameo performance was close to great but yesterday was a bit more shaky. Misplaced one or two passes that he will know himself he should’ve made, gave away 2 fouls. But great little through ball for Delap to win the penalty and then another thing I noticed, across both cameos actually, is how good his sense of positioning and space is. He would cover in RW, CF, etc while the other player had moved out of position. Something pep will be impressed with

Wouldn’t say bad but wouldn’t say great. Against Fulham his cameo performance was close to great but yesterday was a bit more shaky. Misplaced one or two passes that he will know himself he should’ve made, gave away 2 fouls. But great little through ball for Delap to win the penalty and then another thing I noticed, across both cameos actually, is how good his sense of positioning and space is. He would cover in RW, CF, etc while the other player had moved out of position. Something pep will be impressed with
Just to add to this, there was one pass in particular he’d probably be really annoyed about. Towards the very end he got the ball in that usual left 8 area, waited well (pausa) and didn’t play the pass rushed. Sterling had broken away and had lots of space in front of him and Delap was making a run in the middle and James sort of got caught in two minds of who to pass to and ended up playing it straight to the Norwich defender. It’s his bread and butter pass which we’ve all seen him play to Edozie or bobb or Wilson Esbrand on the left to open up a defence and it was unexpected to see him mess it up.

I think the eagerness to impress will have affected his usual game. He didn’t get that ball for quite a lot time when he came on. Must’ve been frustrating. I’m sure if he gets a start, it’d be slightly better and he’d settle. We all know he has talent he just needs more minutes and needs to stick to his usual game.

Best thing you can say about him is he doesnt look out of place and is trusted to go play as an 8. Which is massive in a Pep system and team where possesion, position and passing is key in the middle. We didnt even see Foden there this early. Alot of trust given, his confidence will grow.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.