James McAtee

He's struggled in both his longer appearances tbh, this and Swindon. Looked best when he came on vs everton for 5 minutes weirdly enough. Nice pass at the end and should have got an assist there, but as Pep said didnt seem like he fully understood the position and got lost. Will be a big pre season for him I think, looks less impactful than palmer.

He's struggled in both his longer appearances tbh, this and Swindon. Looked best when he came on vs everton for 5 minutes weirdly enough. Nice pass at the end and should have got an assist there, but as Pep said didnt seem like he fully understood the position and got lost. Will be a big pre season for him I think, looks less impactful than palmer.
If he had Dave here to learn from, his development would be a lot quicker.

The key for me is he's involved. You can give him 2 years of not quite clicking because the underlying gain if it does click for a player of his nature far outweighs the cost.

Having watched a few of his last games, I think he’s getting to the point where he needs to be pushed. Feels like that spark is dimming a bit. Like @PannickAtTheDisco said, not being able to learn off the master that is David Silva is a shame.

I know there’s a process to the progression but last year, when he was on some ridiculous form (around the time he made the Everton cameo), he should’ve been making more 5-10 minute cameos. He hasn’t looked great for the EDS as of recent but he’s still getting goals. Feels like he’s stuck in some sort of limbo.

He could’ve had an assist tonight. Had some good link up play. Pulled off some moves that showed glimpses of his quality. Well, one can only exercise patience.

If he had Dave here to learn from, his development would be a lot quicker.

The key for me is he's involved. You can give him 2 years of not quite clicking because the underlying gain if it does click for a player of his nature far outweighs the cost.
Agree with your views. I recall Phil‘s earliest appearances and I never thought that they were particularly overwhelming. Clearly the incremental improvements since the early days have been brilliant. I am a great fan of McAtee and was most worried last year that his small stature would be his greatest obstacle.
He‘s signed a new contract, is growing into a decent sized unit and has fantastic potential.
Fingers crossed for the click.

He was good, I thought. Didn't have a lot of space to work in, like the others, which will have been good for his development. Kept the ball well, had a couple of moments of real quality : back heel to Jesus, a dink to sterling at the end which he should have scored from.

Above all, he looked calmer than he has done in the past when playing on the first team - a bit more patient. That was good.

A duck to water,the kid is a natural.

First team football suits his composure and ability,he responds to the step up and doesn't look out of place.

Much like Gundogan and D Silva,he can orchestrate and dictate.

He is a talented boy. Pep very rarely is too effusive with players from the Academy and his point about the press is just to keep feet on the ground, I feel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.