James McAtee

Without wanting to be sounding controversial, I have to say that I don’t rate the lad. Surely it’s the case that he doesn’t play at the moment because he isn’t good enough to play? All those who do think he’s brilliant please tell me what he does well. He has to be the stand-out player on the pitch at Championship level to stand a chance of getting into the City team and as is being proved, he isn’t. I hope I’m proved wrong but my guess is he will go the same way as other previously lauded academy players such as Vladimir Weis or Brandon Barker. Sorry.

Surely it’s the case that he doesn’t play at the moment because he isn’t good enough to play?

I mean this just isn’t how football works at all is it?

Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah couldn’t get a game at Chelsea, it wasn’t because they were bad and suddenly became good when they left, they were excellent young players who were great before they went to Chelsea, then found themselves in the wrong environment with the wrong coach.

Harry Kane couldn’t get off the bench at Leicester City in the Championship the season before he scored 21 goals in the PL. He didn’t become a great striker at some point between seasons, he just couldn’t win over Nigel Pearson.

He has to be the stand-out player on the pitch at Championship level to stand a chance of getting into the City team and as is being proved, he isn’t.

See Harry Kane example above. Went from unremarkable in the Championship to Young Player of the Year in 9 months.

Last edited:
Without wanting to be sounding controversial, I have to say that I don’t rate the lad. Surely it’s the case that he doesn’t play at the moment because he isn’t good enough to play? All those who do think he’s brilliant please tell me what he does well. He has to be the stand-out player on the pitch at Championship level to stand a chance of getting into the City team and as is being proved, he isn’t. I hope I’m proved wrong but my guess is he will go the same way as other previously lauded academy players such as Vladimir Weis or Brandon Barker. Sorry.

He plays the game like David Silva....he gets in the pockets,he orchestrates and schemes,he breaks the line and makes the pass few others can see.

Him not playing has nothing to do with his talent.....Sheffield do not play in a manner that allows him to flourish,their lack of intricacy and finesse doesn't suit his game or ability.

We need to get him away from that club ASAP.

I see the same thing. He can definitely play football, but there are hundreds of no names making a living in the lower leagues who will never be Premier League material for a top, top side.

Granted, he’s only had a fleeting chance at City in the First Team, but it’s the hours and hours of training, watching his attitude, comparing his technical ability, and assessing where he is today against where you think he might be in a few years.

Sadly, I think watching us not pick up the option on Douglas Luiz made it clear that our standards TODAY are just too high for 99.9999% of players, no matter where they come from.

I’m sure he’ll make a career of it in football, but sadly I don’t think it will be at City. Of all the loanees out there today, I feel like THB is the stand out hope for coming back and being a First Team squad regular.

I feel like we sold some big names this season for a good sized refresh, and I think we might be due for the same at the back next season, while hopefully also adding Bellingham to the squad.

I’m not sure Laporte and Stones will be at City in 2 seasons, although maybe it’ll be Ake that draws the bids. Not sure, but we are starting to have 5 and 6 to choose from at the CB position and cashing in before they get too old or not playing nearly enough seems prudent.

THB is a natural replacement for Stones, and Akanji has come in and done such a ridiculous job for pennies, that he’s a cert to stay.

If THB does come back next season, that’d leave us with THB, Akanji, Dias, Stones, Laporte and Ake. A few of them are right sided, a few are left sided and a couple can do either. We don’t need 6, and I think we could make upto £80-100M on two of the six. That’s real money, especially if you factor in the need for replacement and support elsewhere in the squad.

Against that backdrop, McAtee looks like a player who will join many others in being sold. He seems to REQUIRE a team that plays like City and gives him the luxury of being surrounded by world class players. He has touch, but too often at the top level it hasn’t come off and he’s not the kind of physical specimen that is ever going to win a battle in midfield.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
How many times have you seen him play?

I don't think Sheffield United suit his style, this reminds me when Jack Harrison was on loan at Middlesbrough who were managed by Pulis. McAtee would be much better off at Swansea, Sunderland or Burnley.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.