James McAtee

The problem we have is Palmer’s success might encourage McAtee to try elsewhere. I think that would be a mistake for both parties.

Bernardo can play some games on the right but he’s better when floating and rotating. He also has only two years left, at which point we could have McAtee developed to hold that role. I see Bobb as floating and he’s so good that he’ll ultimately play in the middle closer to Haaland, with Foden just slightly deeper.
That’s my hope re Bobb. Not many watched Bobb transition to the middle in the EDS. Those weighted passes…phew.

Nonetheless, Palmer’s success will set a precedent for the talented ones. Before, could still use the patient Foden angle but with Palmer blowing up, it’ll be tough now. Not that it wasn’t before but the be patient angle is less likely to work now.

Bobb, from the tidbits I’ve seen is just happy to play. He hasn’t spoken of minutes. He seems to understand how it is, for now. I’m unsure McAtee feels that way. As talented as the latter is, I can’t see him getting many minutes if he does return.

Pep really doesn’t sub how we expect. Even the token minutes have reduced. With Arsenal pushing City two season in a row, it’s become harder for the young lads to get a sniff. If McAtee is sold, I’m hoping it’s for a premium. Regardless of what these lads do after, I’ll be happy for them.

I used to be big on any type of youth football. If it was on, I’m watching but I stepped away this season. Not even going to city youth games. I somewhat feel like it was time to detach myself from it. Will always be happy for anyone making from the academy but I don’t have the same fervour for it.

He’d already done that at Sheffield United the season before, so the only difference would have been the shirt colour and a new manager. We also don’t know if the club had an ulterior motive in wanting McAtee at Leicester with Doyle.

There’s a huge gulf between the divisions and he’s now played against/at every top flight side other than Everton, Newcastle, and ourselves. He’ll have the bruises to show for it, expanded lung power, too, so if he knuckles down and chooses wisely, he could come back and excel.

What Leicester did in the Championship and what Sheff United did in the Championship are two different things.

Playing for a side that dominates possession and plays against packed defences would have been best for his City career. Going to the Prem with Sheff U could have been good for a career outside of City, as it promoted his name. However, they were so shit that he wasn't all that much use to them. It's been a waste of a year and has probably dropped his sale value also. Even if he'd been great there, by playing on the counter in a poor team who hardly seen the ball wouldn't have meant anything towards how well he could do for us.

Think he saw the bright lights of the Prem and got a bit too excited when being a bit more patient would have been better in the long run.

Last edited:
That’s my hope re Bobb. Not many watched Bobb transition to the middle in the EDS. Those weighted passes…phew.

Nonetheless, Palmer’s success will set a precedent for the talented ones. Before, could still use the patient Foden angle but with Palmer blowing up, it’ll be tough now. Not that it wasn’t before but the be patient angle is less likely to work now.

Bobb, from the tidbits I’ve seen is just happy to play. He hasn’t spoken of minutes. He seems to understand how it is, for now. I’m unsure McAtee feels that way. As talented as the latter is, I can’t see him getting many minutes if he does return.

Pep really doesn’t sub how we expect. Even the token minutes have reduced. With Arsenal pushing City two season in a row, it’s become harder for the young lads to get a sniff. If McAtee is sold, I’m hoping it’s for a premium. Regardless of what these lads do after, I’ll be happy for them.

I used to be big on any type of youth football. If it was on, I’m watching but I stepped away this season. Not even going to city youth games. I somewhat feel like it was time to detach myself from it. Will always be happy for anyone making from the academy but I don’t have the same fervour for it.
Another way to look at it is that the fact that McAtee hasn’t won accolades at Sheffield United might work in our favour. I’m sure the promoted teams and prospectors like Brighton will fancy their chances, but he’s less likely to attract interest from a top 7 club. A year with us and he’ll still have the attention of the former regardless, but if he does well…

I’m not championing the academy, but I think we’re now at the stage where the football education we’re providing is creating players that are generally ahead of what can be bought on the market.

What Leicester did in the Championship and what Sheff United did in the Championship are two different things.

Playing for a side that dominates possession and plays against packed defences would have been best for his City career. Going to the Prem with Sheff U could have been good for a career outside of City, as it promoted his name. However, they were so shit that he wasn't all that much use to them. It's been a waste of a year and has probably dropped his same value also. Even if he'd been great there, by playing on the counter in a poor team who hardly seen the ball wouldn't have meant anything towards how well he could do for us.

Think he saw the bright lights of the Prem and got a bit too excited when being a but more patient would have been better in the long run.
The bulk of games would have been against the same opponents, the same defenders, and in the same circumstances. Teams at that level also don’t defend in anything like the way they do against us. They have neither the mental discipline nor fitness.
Going to Leicester would have been much like Roberts returning to Celtic to tread the same water. At least with Sheffield United he knew the regime and probably thought he’d get game time. I’ve posted above the minutes McAtee’s played in the top flight and he can now come back with two years still on his contract, tougher and hopefully wiser.

The bulk of games would have been against the same opponents, the same defenders, and in the same circumstances. Teams at that level also don’t defend in anything like the way they do against us. They have neither the mental discipline nor fitness.
Going to Leicester would have been much like Roberts returning to Celtic to tread the same water. At least with Sheffield United he knew the regime and probably thought he’d get game time. I’ve posted above the minutes McAtee’s played in the top flight and he can now come back with two years still on his contract, tougher and hopefully wiser.

Well, I do hope you're right. I just fear that loans are difficult for us, because no other teams face what we face game in game out. The closest match really is a division below, and admittedly a lower standard. I'd just prefer our players playing our style while out, against lesser players, rather than playing a different way against better players.

Very unlikely to get a loan in the Prem for a team who play like we do. I'd suggest there'd be a very outside chance of him going to Spurs as a backup for Maddison, which could work well for him, but I can't see them wanting him as a loan. If we could get a buyback clause and first option inserted though, I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Well, I do hope you're right. I just fear that loans are difficult for us, because no other teams face what we face game in game out. The closest match really is a division below, and admittedly a lower standard. I'd just prefer our players playing our style while out, against lesser players, rather than playing a different way against better players.

Very unlikely to get a loan in the Prem for a team who play like we do. I'd suggest there'd be a very outside chance of him going to Spurs as a backup for Maddison, which could work well for him, but I can't see them wanting him as a loan. If we could get a buyback clause and first option inserted though, I wouldn't mind seeing that.
McAtee has been at our club for over a decade and already knows the system, how we play, and how we shift teams around. Those things he could learn. However, what it's like to play at Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, and their place, well those things can only be experienced and now he has that. He'd now be less fazed if we called upon him to play in these arenas.

I'm keen to keep McAtee, Lewis, and Bobb in and around the club for next season. There's a lot of football ahead.

Another way to look at it is that the fact that McAtee hasn’t won accolades at Sheffield United might work in our favour. I’m sure the promoted teams and prospectors like Brighton will fancy their chances, but he’s less likely to attract interest from a top 7 club. A year with us and he’ll still have the attention of the former regardless, but if he does well…

I’m not championing the academy, but I think we’re now at the stage where the football education we’re providing is creating players that are generally ahead of what can be bought on the market.
Agree with you on that he’ll possibly get a look in at mid-table clubs or the likes of Villa et al who seem to be playing a different type of football…a team to take the gamble. Having seen what Rogers can do at Villa, they wouldn’t turn down an opportunity to sign a McAtee type player.

However, a year with us and it could do more wonders for him. Whichever way it happens, will be interesting to see how things pan out this summer. Gosh the players in general are going to be knackered. Can only find solace in the fact that there’s no UCL. Hopefully, the lads can have some sort of rest.

I can’t see Pep playing the young players to give the established players more time off. Would be surprised if he did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.