James McAtee

I can’t see Pep playing the young players to give the established players more time off. Would be surprised if he did.
He’ll never start more than one per game against ‘weaker’ teams in the League, to be sure. However, this season was highly unusual in that it was plagued with injuries from game one ( de Bruyne at Burnley) and then the disruptive suspension of Rodri that knocked us for six (points). Between the thumping of Bournemouth and the defeat of a beleaguered Villa, the only team we put away comfortably was Huddersfield in the Cup. That meant there were around 20 games that became missed opportunities for youngsters, largely because of missed opportunities on the pitch. If Guardiola insists on being three clear before he can give youth a shot, then we need people to take their chances. Every miss has a game impact, but it also determines how soon youngsters can get on the pitch and that in turn influences how fit senior players are later in the season. If we look at our scoring patterns in recent weeks, we can see the effect of having key players back and players gelling/settling in new positions. I expect that pattern to continue into next season.

I’ve long said that this season would be the weakest we would be for the next three years, so we will be much stronger next season and youngsters such as McAtee will have the chance to shine.

He’ll never start more than one per game against ‘weaker’ teams in the League, to be sure. However, this season was highly unusual in that it was plagued with injuries from game one ( de Bruyne at Burnley) and then the disruptive suspension of Rodri that knocked us for six (points). Between the thumping of Bournemouth and the defeat of a beleaguered Villa, the only team we put away comfortably was Huddersfield in the Cup. That meant there were around 20 games that became missed opportunities for youngsters, largely because of missed opportunities on the pitch. If Guardiola insists on being three clear before he can give youth a shot, then we need people to take their chances. Every miss has a game impact, but it also determines how soon youngsters can get on the pitch and that in turn influences how fit senior players are later in the season. If we look at our scoring patterns in recent weeks, we can see the effect of having key players back and players gelling/settling in new positions. I expect that pattern to continue into next season.

I’ve long said that this season would be the weakest we would be for the next three years, so we will be much stronger next season and youngsters such as McAtee will have the chance to shine.
I agree with the influence injuries and profligacy in front of goal had on the youngsters.

Thankfully, I don’t manage City as I felt there missed opportunities even with good leads this season but with how close everything has been, I can understand the caution.

Even if you’re the creme de la creme, I doubt Pep would budge on how he introduces youngsters into his team. The only it’s possibly is if you’re Messi level talent and that’s something that comes around once in a 100 years or so.

I’m a believer in patience. It can be tough but if the ones talented enough can tough it out, I believe they’ll do well at the club in the end.

Just to add to my previous response, I’ll back whoever plays or dons the sky blue or whatever colour of the kit (on the day) of City.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve somewhat distanced myself from all things youth football. There’s no disappointment or such because of the decisions concerning the few talented ones in recent years. I think I’ll be able to objectively look at who is playing rather than have subconscious bias because a player if from the academy or when they don’t play over someone from the outside.

If McAtee somehow hangs around after this summer, I think it’s sink or swim. He’ll have to show some almighty effort as Bobb has given glimpses to Pep he’s ready despite the minutes.

I agree with the influence injuries and profligacy in front of goal had on the youngsters.

Thankfully, I don’t manage City as I felt there missed opportunities even with good leads this season but with how close everything has been, I can understand the caution.

Even if you’re the creme de la creme, I doubt Pep would budge on how he introduces youngsters into his team. The only it’s possibly is if you’re Messi level talent and that’s something that comes around once in a 100 years or so.

I’m a believer in patience. It can be tough but if the ones talented enough can tough it out, I believe they’ll do well at the club in the end.
We’ve not really had too many good leads, though, and because of the tightness at the top of the league, caution has understandably prevailed. That said, we saw away at Crystal Palace (Lewis/Bobb) and at home to Luton (Lewis/Nunes) that Guardiola is prepared to start two youngsters/unproven players. With the overall team much better next season, there will be more opportunities for Lewis/Bobb and, I hope McAtee. I’m not looking for them to start every game, but I’m looking for them to build up a bank of meaningful minutes.

I agree with your subsequent sink or swim comment, which is why I’d like to see him in the water first.

McAtee has been at our club for over a decade and already knows the system, how we play, and how we shift teams around. Those things he could learn. However, what it's like to play at Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, and their place, well those things can only be experienced and now he has that. He'd now be less fazed if we called upon him to play in these arenas.

I'm keen to keep McAtee, Lewis, and Bobb in and around the club for next season. There's a lot of football ahead.
I don't understand this argument.

Savio is coming in.

Bobb and Nunes barely played and will also need a serious increase in minutes next season.

How is there even ANY space for McAtee?

If your saying he should stay and get like 300 or 400 minutes, then what's the point for him at this point getting minutes like that?

He would need minimum 1000+ minutes for it to make sense, otherwise for his own sake, he needs to establish himself at a team and get his career going.

I don't understand this argument.

Savio is coming in.

Bobb and Nunes barely played and will also need a serious increase in minutes next season.

How is there even ANY space for McAtee?

If your saying he should stay and get like 300 or 400 minutes, then what's the point for him at this point getting minutes like that?

He would need minimum 1000+ minutes for it to make sense, otherwise for his own sake, he needs to establish himself at a team and get his career going.
His career is going. He's been instrumental in Sheffield United gaining promotion and now had nearly 2,000 minutes in the Premier League. Bobb is a year younger and managed 815 minutes this season, yet nobody is saying he needs to get his career going. They all have different strengths and trajectories. As I mentioned above, I expect us to be better as a team next season and that should see younger players get more minutes.

As I've also said above, McAtee is at the stage where he can either take a step back in terms of minutes but play them at a higher level, including Champions League qualifiers, or he can call it quits and likely play out the rest of his career for clubs in the bottom half of the league.

His career is going. He's been instrumental in Sheffield United gaining promotion and now had nearly 2,000 minutes in the Premier League. Bobb is a year younger and managed 815 minutes this season, yet nobody is saying he needs to get his career going. They all have different strengths and trajectories. As I mentioned above, I expect us to be better as a team next season and that should see younger players get more minutes.

As I've also said above, McAtee is at the stage where he can either take a step back in terms of minutes but play them at a higher level, including Champions League qualifiers, or he can call it quits and likely play out the rest of his career for clubs in the bottom half of the league.
McAtee is a good prospect, was never in doubt. I don't rate him as high as Bobb (or Palmer).

But you fail to answer the main problem I mentioned, there is no minutes for him.

He is 21, turning 22 in like 5 months, at this age ALL football players just need minutes. Getting like 400 or so minutes is absolutely pointless for him, that argument works for players who are like 27-28 and have already played ALOT of football and just want to be part of a winning team (like Grealish). Case in point look at Sergio Gomez who has just wasted over a year at City.

You mentioned Bobb who is a whole year younger, but it is his 1st year of adult football getting part minutes. So the 800 or so he got isn't a huge deal, but like I mentioend in the Bobb thread, he himself needs to get ATLEAST 1500+ minutes next season for his development, and Bobb is talented enough that he has EARNED it next season.

McAtee has now had 2 full years of minutes, but chose the wrong club unfortunately to get them with. But he can't go backwards in term of minutes.

What you are suggesting for McAtee is absolutely insane advice for a player of his age and talent. Good advice would be to tell him to find a club that will play him. Calling it quits to play for a team that isn't City is a stupid thing to say.

McAtee is a good prospect, was never in doubt. I don't rate him as high as Bobb (or Palmer).

But you fail to answer the main problem I mentioned, there is no minutes for him.

He is 21, turning 22 in like 5 months, at this age ALL football players just need minutes. Getting like 400 or so minutes is absolutely pointless for him, that argument works for players who are like 27-28 and have already played ALOT of football and just want to be part of a winning team (like Grealish). Case in point look at Sergio Gomez who has just wasted over a year at City.

You mentioned Bobb who is a whole year younger, but it is his 1st year of adult football getting part minutes. So the 800 or so he got isn't a huge deal, but like I mentioend in the Bobb thread, he himself needs to get ATLEAST 1500+ minutes next season for his development, and Bobb is talented enough that he has EARNED it next season.

McAtee has now had 2 full years of minutes, but chose the wrong club unfortunately to get them with. But he can't go backwards in term of minutes.

What you are suggesting for McAtee is absolutely insane advice for a player of his age and talent. Good advice would be to tell him to find a club that will play him. Calling it quits to play for a team that isn't City is a stupid thing to say.
It's a different opinion but that does not make it a stupid one. Presumably, Guardiola urging Gomez to remain at the club and McAtee last season was equally insane advice. We can never tell how young players' careers will develop and how their experiences affect them.

Lewis managed to get more than the 400 minutes you've conjured up in the Champions League alone this season, another 800+ in the league and that was in the boiler room. As I have pointed out above, we're unlikely to have such a period like we faced in the middle of this season next, so there should be more minutes and we're also unlikely to fall out of the League Cup at the first hurdle.

McAtee only has two years left on his contract and I hope he chooses to stay at the club this season and fight for the role that Grealish plays on the left but on the right. If he chooses to go elsewhere again, however, then I wish him well but we might prefer to sell.

It's a different opinion but that does not make it a stupid one. Presumably, Guardiola urging Gomez to remain at the club and McAtee last season was equally insane advice. We can never tell how young players' careers will develop and how their experiences affect them.

Lewis managed to get more than the 400 minutes you've conjured up in the Champions League alone this season, another 800+ in the league and that was in the boiler room. As I have pointed out above, we're unlikely to have such a period like we faced in the middle of this season next, so there should be more minutes and we're also unlikely to fall out of the League Cup at the first hurdle.

McAtee only has two years left on his contract and I hope he chooses to stay at the club this season and fight for the role that Grealish plays on the left but on the right. If he chooses to go elsewhere again, however, then I wish him well but we might prefer to sell.
Lewis got 1600 minutes this season, because in the previous season, he got 1800 minutes and Pep knew he could be relied on in many situations.

He is getting low member squad minutes, but also, it's not a problem because he is only 19. I would expect Lewis to get about the same or slightly more minutes next season.

Your argument for there is minutes is just false, there simply isnt, you are conjuring up minutes out of thin air. You really should look at the players we have in our squad to remind yourself of the depth of midfield/attacking talent we have and realize players like Savio, Bruno/Pacqueta, Frimpong etc are likely coming in.

It's fine to say you would like him to stay and fight for it, sure, you can feel that way.

I'll make my feelings clear "I hope he goes for his own sake so his career gets on track, if he stays, whatever small amount of minutes he gets is taken away from Oscar Bobb or Rico Lewis, whose development I'd rather not see stall, they are definitely our future".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.