James McAtee

Based on how things have been the last few years, if City really rate a player they want them sticking around as much as possible. Whether we agree with it or not, the path for the players the club is highest on seems to be slow integration into the first team, with exposure to Pep and the squad being the best course of training. Going on loan (or to another club with a buyback) is probably seen as less than optimal in the club's eyes. Being loaned out seems to be more a thing that's for players part of the academy 'farm' rather than potential first teamers (mostly).

The way McAtee has developed I'd guess the club think at this point in time it's best for him to follow the path of a potential first teamer, which the player himself by the sounds of it doesn't agree with, or maybe he just wants a faster route into the senior game.

As to why City didn't just 'cut their losses' and sell him to Brighton when they could have done, I'll assume they thought they could (and may still) get McAtee to stay.

Ideally the club wants to keep him (despite us seemingly being the only team adverse to the loan route) but in a situation where you're having a difficult negotiation with a young player that probably doesn't want the slow integration to first team football, it's ludicrous to let his deal run down while trying to persuade him. We're still in a strong position regarding his future with just less than 2 years left but City need to make a decision relatively quickly here so we don't end up with egg on our faces in a few years time.

Who is in McAtees position?

Gundogan - may or may not be getting an extension

KDB - long term contract

Bernard - who knows whether he's contempt here now

Probably looking at Mahrez and Sterling if they might move on in the next couple of years?
Think long term Palmer and Foden would also be seen as options in his position.

Yeah that's why I'm not buying this rumour unless the source is way more reputable than the fucking Sun.

He's a City fan, Gundogan and KdB are 30 years old (11 years older), the pathway is so clear here.

Palmer played as the false 9 in a recent game, and while Pep has played him in midfield, I think this is just for his education, I hope Pep see's Palmer as the natural Mahrez replacement.

Edozie replaces Sterling. Delap is a striker, any of the names Pep drops aren't in McAtee's position tbh.

He has to see where Foden is at, he will get increasing minutes over the next 2 years, and by 21 I can really see him explode. Gundogan and KdB are only going down from here and we are seeing the signs, age hits everyone, as it did Dinho.
Agree with that though from the very few bits I’ve seen of palmer I think he could end up more central.

Think long term Palmer and Foden would also be seen as options in his position.
I hope not atleast for Palmer.

I've never been impressed by Palmer by his "midfield" qualities, it is always his explosiveness and decision making in the final 3rd.

Pep has played him in midfield, but Palmer is WAY better on the RW doing damage, and can naturally replace Mahrez.

I hope the time as a false 9 is part of Pep giving Palmer more "forward" minutes from now on than "midfield" minutes.

Yeah that's why I'm not buying this rumour unless the source is way more reputable than the fucking Sun.

He's a City fan, Gundogan and KdB are 30 years old (11 years older), the pathway is so clear here.

Palmer played as the false 9 in a recent game, and while Pep has played him in midfield, I think this is just for his education, I hope Pep see's Palmer as the natural Mahrez replacement.

Edozie replaces Sterling. Delap is a striker, any of the names Pep drops aren't in McAtee's position tbh.

He has to see where Foden is at, he will get increasing minutes over the next 2 years, and by 21 I can really see him explode. Gundogan and KdB are only going down from here and we are seeing the signs, age hits everyone, as it did Dinho.

if gundogan or de Bruyne leave we will replace them with signings. I don’t see how he’s going to get increased minutes either, he’s not going to play this season and I doubt he makes the bench next season. So maybe the odd cup game.

he’d be better on loan or sold with a buy back. Being a city fan doesn’t matter if you want first team football now

if gundogan or de Bruyne leave we will replace them with signings. I don’t see how he’s going to get increased minutes either, he’s not going to play this season and I doubt he makes the bench next season. So maybe the odd cup game.

he’d be better on loan or sold with a buy back. Being a city fan doesn’t matter if you want first team football now
Gundogan and KdB aren't leaving right now, the point is that they likely have 3 or so more years at City but they will be on the decline during this time while McAtee is on the rise.

He will have to show, if he stays over the next 2 years, that he can adequately replace them in that time. Otherwise out you go and we replace them as you said.

And he can get minutes because those guys need rest and rotation, perfect opportunity.

He won't be loaned, he doesn't seem like a player who'd accept that, and I doubt any club accepts a buyback considering his potential, they'd wait to get him for free or have City accept a fee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.