James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

Because he may soon have to make the same decision that faced Jadon Sancho...

Does he want to wait his turn?
Would he see a loan as a good option?
Would a permanent move be the way to go?

Waiting worked out for Phil Foden, and looks quite positive for Cole Palmer. However, it's a risk for any ambitious youngster.

Loans tend not to be a successful route for progress at City. They invariably lead to a move, usually to a lower level

A permanent move to a top club with almost guaranteed regular games would be very tempting for any young player. If a club like Dortmund come calling, players have to be interested.

It's possibly the most important decision of any young players career. Phil Foden and Jadon Sancho are benchmarks. That's why Sancho is in the McAtee discussion.

Funny players at the scum and the scousers there players make that decision when they are 22+ years old

The lad has plenty of time he is around the team learning of the best! Why move at that age! Like I said other clubs players stay around longer at a club to wait to get first team football! It’s not like he ain’t being entertained at all!

There is my “And”
Thanks for clarifying!

As I've said before, it's all about what motivates a player. Some are impatient for 'glory', others see the chance to make big money too tempting to ignore. Believe it or not, some players don't actually like football and see it purely as a job - possibly more think like that than we'd ever imagine.

Young players are highly influenced by those around them. Foden, Palmer, McAtee have all been brought up at City and will have 'bought into' the club much more than Jadon Sancho, who was already having his head turned in his early days at Watford, well before he arrived at City.

Once the agents start waving temptation before them, it's done!

I understand his dad is an ex professional player so I’m sure he will be a big influence.

Funny players at the scum and the scousers there players make that decision when they are 22+ years old

I think the reason for this difference between City and certain other clubs such as those you mention is that City get their youth players playing at a level above their age group to develop them.

Our U23’s is full of 19 and 18 year olds. So next years U18’s will be promoted to U23 next season and the players reaching 20 need to agree with City whether to continue at City, move on loan or release them to a new club permanently. If we want them to stay then we need to give them a clear path to the first team. Clear path = convincing plan.

Young players like Jesse Lingard, so full of potential are still waiting to make this decision.

In all seriousness I can't believe he didn't fuck them off and join West Ham and actually go and play and enjoy football again but there you go, the pull of the rags is something else.

Cunts to a man.

And he left in June 2021, 11 months later.
That was also 10 months after us signing Ake and Dias which was the whole point of this discussion. It was García refusing the contract in relation to our transfer plans regarding his future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.