James McAtee

Evening, Sheffield United season ticket holder here who's made it to ten or so City games a season for years.

Last year, McAtee genuinely struggled at first. He was very lightweight, lost the ball repeatedly because of that and defensively was a liability. He got stronger, learnt and adapted and by the end of the season was our best player, genuine class.

We went up £100m in debt....if we hadn't gone up, we'd be bottom of the Championship playing our kids and in administration. So no, we weren't ever going to be able to invest having somehow found the only Saudi Prince who's skint.

We lost our best players (Ndiaye and Berge) just before the season kicked off, reinvested a bit and yes, McAtee wanted to come back.

I totally understand you thinking we're wank (we do too, mainly because we are) but surely having been promoted with us last season, he'd have nowt to gain by doing the same again? He's toughening up and learning by the game, and having responsibility put on him to be a leader and best player in a side in the Premier League....and seeing plenty of the ball (when we get the f***er!!).

It can only benefit City, he's playing against the best, growing up and toughening up- he'll be ready for you next season.
Very insightful, thank you. I do hope Sheffield United stays up too but seeming like mission impossible now ey?

I'm sure McAtee loves the club anyway, it seems like he's playing great football there. Lovely to see him play regular minutes. Just hope he gets a chance to prove himself in a City shirt before we end up shipping him off to a non-promoted Watford in the summer...

If he was one of our top players as you put it, he would be playing on a regular basis for us, but couldn`t be arsed working his way to the top like Foden and Lewis.

I see both points. I think @Lavinda Past was talking in the general sense about fans, not highlighting McAtee on his own.

However I, also, agree that he doesn't seem like a fighter that wants to knuckle down at City. Perhaps he's waiting for Guardiola to leave as he's so demanding?

Who knows? I'm just surprised that a player like Lewis can beat him into the team when McAtee has this 'alleged' talent almost equal to David Silva as many claim on here...

If he'd done well at Sheffield United and then chosen to go on loan to another Championship club rather than playing for a Premier League team, everyone would be slagging off his lack of ambition. Like when Patrick Roberts opted to stay in Scotland when there were English clubs in for him. He'll learn more playing against Premier League players than he will tearing up the Championship again. And if he doesn't make himself stand out in a struggling team, that's on him. Plenty of players have played for relegation-threatened teams and still done well individually.

Evening, Sheffield United season ticket holder here who's made it to ten or so City games a season for years.

Last year, McAtee genuinely struggled at first. He was very lightweight, lost the ball repeatedly because of that and defensively was a liability. He got stronger, learnt and adapted and by the end of the season was our best player, genuine class.

We went up £100m in debt....if we hadn't gone up, we'd be bottom of the Championship playing our kids and in administration. So no, we weren't ever going to be able to invest having somehow found the only Saudi Prince who's skint.

We lost our best players (Ndiaye and Berge) just before the season kicked off, reinvested a bit and yes, McAtee wanted to come back.

I totally understand you thinking we're wank (we do too, mainly because we are) but surely having been promoted with us last season, he'd have nowt to gain by doing the same again? He's toughening up and learning by the game, and having responsibility put on him to be a leader and best player in a side in the Premier League....and seeing plenty of the ball (when we get the f***er!!).

It can only benefit City, he's playing against the best, growing up and toughening up- he'll be ready for you next season.
I hope to god no City fan has that entitled opinion, I certainly don't. I think your a team trying to survive in the hardest league in the world and you deserve your chance having got out of a really tough league last season.
We were in your position not so very long ago and I hope no blues have forgotten how tough it is trying to compete with the best.

Who knows? I'm just surprised that a player like Lewis can beat him into the team when McAtee has this 'alleged' talent almost equal to David Silva as many claim on here...
Cheers all for your good wishes.... yesterday was almost comically awful so well needed!!

Having seen 18 month's worth of McAtee then and plenty of City too, I think he's definitely good enough to have a future with you. I get the point above and about 'knuckling down', but I can't stress enough the amount of abuse he was getting on our Forum at first and Twitter, and the character he showed to bulk up a bit (relatively speaking anyway!) and adapt to the physicality of the Championship. That's not someone lacking mettle.

You could easily argue to that staying at City to fight for his place with perfect training facilities and world class players everywhere is the easy option. It's a gamble to go elsewhere and learn and again looks to me like someone willing to make choices to improve, be seen and maximise his chances at City.

We use him wider in midfield or in a bit of a free role, basically because he's so much better than anything we've got we have him running at and beating players. For City though I'd absolutely see him in the middle of the park, keeping things ticking over and ghosting past players opening things up. Probably more Bernardo Silva than David Silva but he'll definitely fit in nicely for you.

Anyway, see you on Saturday, I bet you're quaking....

It seems the club don’t think he’s ready and maybe willing to cash in for a decent fee to fund say Neves?

For what it's worth, I think him playing 90 minutes every week in the Prem is better than easily carving teams up in the Championship.

He's learning discipline, work rate and having to become a creative force in tough games. He's learning the importance of taking your chances and making the most of every opportunity.

That's valuable stuff and physically the Prem in on another level to the Championship.

He's another £40m player and could become useful next season if Pep deems him worthy.

I’d like him back & I think he’d have played with the injuries we’ve had. I think he’s been influenced by his brothers career & advice that he needs to be playing mens football & get as many games in him.

He wouldn’t have played a minute at City this season so it’s nonsense to suggest it was better for him to stay or blaming agents.

It’s also ridiculous to suggest a season in the Championship is more beneficial than a season in the premier league.

He’s 21 and his chance at City like with Delap has passed.

The best thing for him is to look after his own career but unfortunately that won’t be at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.