James Milner Article

liamctid said:
It's funny how he says that Milner will play against the lesser teams when I would think of him playing in the bigger games.

I agree, look at the rags, every big game they have Park comes into the side. Not the greatest player in the world but reliable, will put a shift in and do a good job for the team.

Good read but the flaw is that he started with the standard Villa fan premise that we didn't need Milner and he fitted better for them... He was their Player of the Season after all.

So he saw what he was looking for. No surprises there.

But the reality is that Milner played the full game (OK most of it), played well and was instrumental in us playing well... How on earth can that mean "he doesn't fit"? If he'd been peripheral in the game I could understand it. But he wasn't.

Another person who still hasn't cottoned on to the fact that to be successful, both domestically and in the CL, you need a large squad with a good depth of Quality. Jimmy will get plenty of games again this season and therefore is staying put.

Dream on.

EDIT: And I don't know any City fans who "hate" him. He will, like everyone else, get 40+ games this season. It's called squad rotation and keeps everyone fresh and ready.

I really hope milner playes in the middle this year. Was impressed with him in the last few games of the season. His workrate and passing were superb.

In my view Milner should play along side De-yong in the center,this lets the more creative players do there thing.More so in tough away games.

The Goat 10 said:
I'd love to see Milner played in Barry's role next season, helping Nige support the defence and getting forward at times to help out the attack whilst keeping things steady, he's got the ability to do it and at the same time chip in with about 10 goals a season. Milner isn't a wide man, he doesn't have the flair or the ability to be a world-class winger, in fact I'd say the only reason he is played there is his energy and to help out his full-back more than going forward.

In short, give him a box to box role full time (Barry with more license) and he'll be a top player for City, play him out wide and he's wasted.

Huh? 10 goals a season? He only scored 11 in 73 appearances for Villa, where he was played in his preferred position and a few of those were penalties. I don't hate Milner but agree with the article's main point which is that Milner was a wasted purchase for City. People were under the impression that we were buying a top quality attacking midfielder but the reality of the situation is that he's rather average but English.

He is essentially a grafter who can score against weaker opposition. He had 1 goal against United at Villa and the rest came against the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Portsmouth, Hull, etc. You can see his stats and appearance info at ESPN stats here:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/26843/james-milner?cc=5901

To me he seems like a Marwood buy, basically, being English. He never looked like he would fit into Mancini's plans and I don't think Mancini rates him all that much, hence why he didn't play much last season. At best, he's a replacement for Barry's defensive role but will never be city's main box-to-box midfielder. A waste for a player who could get significantly more game time in one of the other top 8 teams.

To be fair, he was played mainly on the wing at Villa. In his last year he was played in a more central position and got 7 goals in the league.

I'm not sure he's got what it takes for us, I love his attitude and commitment (apart from his strop at Liverpool) but his lack of pace frustrates me and he often seems a level below his team mates.

Never want to see him on a wing again (despite the work he does defensively), am willing to see how he goes given a good run at the "Barry position".

macmanson said:
The Goat 10 said:
I'd love to see Milner played in Barry's role next season, helping Nige support the defence and getting forward at times to help out the attack whilst keeping things steady, he's got the ability to do it and at the same time chip in with about 10 goals a season. Milner isn't a wide man, he doesn't have the flair or the ability to be a world-class winger, in fact I'd say the only reason he is played there is his energy and to help out his full-back more than going forward.

In short, give him a box to box role full time (Barry with more license) and he'll be a top player for City, play him out wide and he's wasted.

Huh? 10 goals a season? He only scored 11 in 73 appearances for Villa, where he was played in his preferred position and a few of those were penalties. I don't hate Milner but agree with the article's main point which is that Milner was a wasted purchase for City. People were under the impression that we were buying a top quality attacking midfielder but the reality of the situation is that he's rather average but English.

He is essentially a grafter who can score against weaker opposition. He had 1 goal against United at Villa and the rest came against the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Portsmouth, Hull, etc. You can see his stats and appearance info at ESPN stats here:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/26843/james-milner?cc=5901

To me he seems like a Marwood buy, basically, being English. He never looked like he would fit into Mancini's plans and I don't think Mancini rates him all that much, hence why he didn't play much last season. At best, he's a replacement for Barry's defensive role but will never be city's main box-to-box midfielder. A waste for a player who could get significantly more game time in one of the other top 8 teams.

I concur with a lot of that.

He has tried hard but often looked like a square peg in a round hole. I like the burning desire that always come across in his comments, it's just a shame that it hasn't quite been harnessed. Yet.

I'm not sure how much Mancini doesn't rate him. I think he probably is beyond delighted that he has a hugely athletic multi-skilled player who can do a big job in several positions. He may well want a more technical central player but I strongly doubt he'd willingly sacrifice James.

If we tinkered with the midfield somewhat Milner could be a very positive force in the centre, a first pick. If he plays in the Barry role then the two players are so fundamentally different in approach and skillsets, it simply ceases to be the Barry role. But in a flatter, wider three, with Yaya on the right and either Barry or De Jong in the centre to my mind there is a natural balance, and it would be a very hard running, hugely physical, and pretty talented combination. Similar to Chelsea under Mourinho.

city were not half as effective without alan oakes, that is the way i look at jimmy milner, you need players like him who will dig in when the game needs it, do not underestimate the value of this guy, also his mate gaz baz?

Can't disagree with any of this. Especially

A lot of people saw this coming, and that's where the greatest source of frustration lies.

A lot of City fans saw it too, and were frustrated that we were pursuing a square peg for a round hole.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.