James Milner

Shaelumstash said:
A... said:
He should be playing the same role as Henderson at Liverpool; central with the freedom to bomb forward, in a midfield 3 with Toure the most advanced and Fernandinho sitting.

It's naïve and moronic to suggest he'd find himself at Stoke should he leave us; Chelsea would love him, especially with Obi and Lampard set to go. A proper manager like Mourinho would love the chance to have him. Spurs, Liverpool and Everton would certainly take and utilise him properly.

His performance against Fulham was superb, as he has been on numerous occasions this season. I think we just have to accept that some people will never give Milner the credit he deserves; when he put in some very competent performances central earlier in the season, doing the exact same things Fernandinho does, passing the ball well, closing down, he was deemed not up to the job.

I'm not sure if many people on here actually watch games that don't involve City, but in the 2009-10 season when he played regularly in central midfield for Villa, he was as good as anyone else in the League. Like Fernandinho, but stronger, a better passing range and a bigger goal threat. Believe it or not, we didn't spend £26m on him because of his ability to put a shift in on the wing.... Fabio Capello even played him there in the 2010 World Cup.

This is the kind of ridiculous hyperbolic nonsense I'm talking about. Chelsea would love him? Are you on drugs?!

Liverpool and Everton?! Have you seen the way they play? Technical, intricate, short sharp passing game. Not exactly suited to the way Milner plays.

You're suggesting he's better than Fernandinho. Now the guy saying he's better than Muller you can put down to not seeing much of Muller, so it might be an honest mistake. But you've probably seen lots of Fernandinho and Milner so to think Milner is as good or better just shows a complete lack of understanding of football at the elite level.

At that level, reading the game, quick decision making and immaculate technique are worth a whole lot more than running around a lot aimlessly and "dying for the shirt".

I like Milner as a squad man, but don't compare him with Muller and Fernandinho. They are two of the best players in Europe. Milner is back up to the first team for a top 6 side, or a starter in a mid table team.

Better comparisons for him are Darren Fletcher, Leon Osman, Chris Brunt, Steven Nzonzi. That's Milner's level. I like him as a character, he always tries his best but the fact people mention him in the same breath as some of the best midfielders in Europe just proves my point that among City fans he's the most overrated player since the takeover.

I'm shocked it took you 5/6 paragraphs to make the point that the guy is deluded, my god, as soon as i saw the fern comparison it was exit strategy 101!!!

Shaelumstash said:
A... said:
He should be playing the same role as Henderson at Liverpool; central with the freedom to bomb forward, in a midfield 3 with Toure the most advanced and Fernandinho sitting.

It's naïve and moronic to suggest he'd find himself at Stoke should he leave us; Chelsea would love him, especially with Obi and Lampard set to go. A proper manager like Mourinho would love the chance to have him. Spurs, Liverpool and Everton would certainly take and utilise him properly.

His performance against Fulham was superb, as he has been on numerous occasions this season. I think we just have to accept that some people will never give Milner the credit he deserves; when he put in some very competent performances central earlier in the season, doing the exact same things Fernandinho does, passing the ball well, closing down, he was deemed not up to the job.

I'm not sure if many people on here actually watch games that don't involve City, but in the 2009-10 season when he played regularly in central midfield for Villa, he was as good as anyone else in the League. Like Fernandinho, but stronger, a better passing range and a bigger goal threat. Believe it or not, we didn't spend £26m on him because of his ability to put a shift in on the wing.... Fabio Capello even played him there in the 2010 World Cup.

This is the kind of ridiculous hyperbolic nonsense I'm talking about. Chelsea would love him? Are you on drugs?!

Liverpool and Everton?! Have you seen the way they play? Technical, intricate, short sharp passing game. Not exactly suited to the way Milner plays.

You're suggesting he's better than Fernandinho. Now the guy saying he's better than Muller you can put down to not seeing much of Muller, so it might be an honest mistake. But you've probably seen lots of Fernandinho and Milner so to think Milner is as good or better just shows a complete lack of understanding of football at the elite level.

At that level, reading the game, quick decision making and immaculate technique are worth a whole lot more than running around a lot aimlessly and "dying for the shirt".

I like Milner as a squad man, but don't compare him with Muller and Fernandinho. They are two of the best players in Europe. Milner is back up to the first team for a top 6 side, or a starter in a mid table team.

Better comparisons for him are Darren Fletcher, Leon Osman, Chris Brunt, Steven Nzonzi. That's Milner's level. I like him as a character, he always tries his best but the fact people mention him in the same breath as some of the best midfielders in Europe just proves my point that among City fans he's the most overrated player since the takeover.

And here I was thinking I had seen it all before. What a load of utter drivel. If anything he is underrated rather than overrated.

Which of those players has scored the winning goal against the Champions League holders?

Which of those players can play in pretty much any position on the pitch and do it exceptionally?

I think it is criminal that Milner hasn't been played more in central midfield. He has all of the attributes to be a quality centre mid and showed this at Villa.

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Shaelumstash said:
A... said:

I'm shocked it took you 5/6 paragraphs to make the point that the guy is deluded, my god, as soon as i saw the fern comparison it was exit strategy 101!!!

Yeh you're right, there's probably no saving that one.

In my opinion, he should continue to be one of our key players next season. There are very few, very good footballers who focus on the team as much as Jimmy even if this means he will not be a first choice pick to start if everyone else is available. He will still play lots of matches and, if not starting, should always be on the bench because of his flexible gameplay.

Shaelumstash said:
A... said:

I agreed with you up until here.

Milner is a very good player but doesn't have the quality to play at the top level.

Comparing him to Chris Brunt and Nzonzi is doing him a massive injustice. I think every club in the PL would have Milner in their squad, he wouldn't play week in week out for Chelsea Arsenal or Liverpool, maybe not even at United but I guarantee that all of those clubs would love him in their squad because he offers you so much especially in the big games, mainly because he does exactly what the manager asks of him.

Shaelumstash said:
A... said:

"Better comparisons for him are Darren Fletcher, Leon Osman, Chris Brunt, Steven Nzonzi. "
This is the kind of ridiculous litotic nonsense I'm talking about. Chelsea would love him! Are you on drugs?
Edited for accuracy .
Very funny WUM !!!
CTID

sboroMCFC said:
Shaelumstash said:
A... said:

I think it is criminal that Milner hasn't been played more in central midfield. He has all of the attributes to be a quality centre mid and showed this at Villa.

And yet Mancini, pellegrini, capello, hodgson all fail to play him there........ Interesting....

You see, a central midfield player has to be able to (1) have spacial awareness, (2) a good short game and (3) not panic under pressure, unfortunately jimmy has none of the above, he's a top lad, great 'squad' player but a top player he is not!!!

chris85mcfc said:
Shaelumstash said:
A... said:

I agreed with you up until here.

Milner is a very good player but doesn't have the quality to play at the top level.

Comparing him to Chris Brunt and Nzonzi is doing him a massive injustice. I think every club in the PL would have Milner in their squad, he wouldn't play week in week out for Chelsea Arsenal or Liverpool, maybe not even at United but I guarantee that all of those clubs would love him in their squad because he offers you so much especially in the big games, mainly because he does exactly what the manager asks of him.

I agree that he would make the squad of the top 6 clubs, but I don't think he would start for any of them, certainly not in central midfield.

It's fair enough if you think he's better than Brunt and Nzonzi, but I personally think they are both quite underrated. Brunt has got a great left foot, and I've been impressed every time I've seen him. Nzonzi has the ability to be back up defensive midfielder for a top 6 club, he's just not got the temperament.

Milner is probably better than both of them, but he's certainly closer to their level than he is Muller and Fernandinho.

James Milner is a decent squad player but when all our players are fit he gets nowhere near our first 11 for me.

His final ball is poor and the unfortunately he just isn't on the same wavelength as our better players.

Having said that I'd keep him - definitely useful off the bench or if needed to do a specific job for the team.

We all have our opinions and as such they are all equally as valid and on occasion just as funny. That's why I love Blue Moon , all nutters welcome !

IMO I wouldn't say Milner is world class in any position that he can play so he isn't going to displace any world class player who is on his game.

However, Milner has the ability to be very good in a number of positions and that's his value to the team.

Whatever area needs support Milner can step in and do a very good job. There isn't any other player at City who has that versatility and I'm really struggling to find any other PL player who has that ability. Maybe Gerrard, although he isn't as quick as Milner.

We have seen how much we miss Barry and the difference he makes to Everton. I wouldn't want Milner in any other top 6 PL side.
And on the day after a City defeat we always have Boring boring Milner tweets to cheer us up.

There's only one Jimmy (Grimble) Milner
CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.