January defenders

As I said I'm not knocking his overall ability, but we shouldn't be constantly beating ourselves up with not signing the player either

I agree , I was responding to another poster regarding VVD .

Laporte is a great player and suits our style of play so am looking forward to his return.

Adrian isn't any better than an in his prime Bravo
We have never had Bravo in his prime though, Bravo is 36, (3 years older than Adrian).

I wonder if we would have won the CL last year if we had bought VVD? Laporte had a nightmare against Spurs. I like Laporte but wonder what will happen if Barca come calling? I was reading his agent and hero is Puyol.

We have never had Bravo in his prime though, Bravo is 36, (3 years older than Adrian).

I wonder if we would have won the CL last year if we had bought VVD? Laporte had a nightmare against Spurs. I like Laporte but wonder what will happen if Barca come calling? I was reading his agent and hero is Puyol.
City do not sell their best players

Hypothetical but if we had signed VVD , do you think he would have fitted into our setup ?
He’s an absolutely brilliant defender. Of course I’d love us to have him.

But I think his ability on the ball is vastly overrated. Yes, he’s great at playing the 40 / 50 yard switch. But so are Laporte and Stones.

But the difference on the ball is Laporte and Stones are much better in tight situations, under pressure, playing seemingly risky 10 yard passed and keeping possession when under intense pressure. That is absolutely paramount to the way we play.

I’m not saying Van Dijk couldn’t improve upon that, but he couldn’t just slot in to our team and instantly do that as well as Stones and Laporte. VVD’s first instinct is to get rid of danger, whereas Stones and Laporte’s first instinct is to keep possession.

I’m not saying one way is better than the other, it’s just different.

City do not sell their best players
Agreed as a club we don't normally, but Pep also wouldn't keep players that say they want to leave. We like a happy squad. Hopefully he stays, (and Pep stays), but I hope Puyol doesn't try to engineer a move to Barca, we'll see.

He’s an absolutely brilliant defender. Of course I’d love us to have him.

But I think his ability on the ball is vastly overrated. Yes, he’s great at playing the 40 / 50 yard switch. But so are Laporte and Stones.

But the difference on the ball is Laporte and Stones are much better in tight situations, under pressure, playing seemingly risky 10 yard passed and keeping possession when under intense pressure. That is absolutely paramount to the way we play.

I’m not saying Van Dijk couldn’t improve upon that, but he couldn’t just slot in to our team and instantly do that as well as Stones and Laporte. VVD’s first instinct is to get rid of danger, whereas Stones and Laporte’s first instinct is to keep possession.

I’m not saying one way is better than the other, it’s just different.
I agree Laporte is very composed but Stones has lost some self confidence and composure in the last 12 months. He's only got 18 months on his contract and there are stories that the club is not sure about renewing it?

I agree Laporte is very composed but Stones has lost some self confidence and composure in the last 12 months. He's only got 18 months on his contract and there are stories that the club is not sure about renewing it?
There seems to be something not quite right with Stones this season. But I think people forget just how good he was at the start of last season.

The narrative has been written that Kompany led us to the quadruple. But the reality is, we were having a phenomenal season while Stones was playing and Kompany was injured.

Even though Stones has had a dip, he’s still an incredibly talented player. Particularly on the ball his composure under pressure is incredible for a centre half. I’d definitely be giving him a new contract, alongside Laporte he was excellent.

There seems to be something not quite right with Stones this season. But I think people forget just how good he was at the start of last season.

The narrative has been written that Kompany led us to the quadruple. But the reality is, we were having a phenomenal season while Stones was playing and Kompany was injured.

Even though Stones has had a dip, he’s still an incredibly talented player. Particularly on the ball his composure under pressure is incredible for a centre half. I’d definitely be giving him a new contract, alongside Laporte he was excellent.
Stones has had some documented relationship issues, over the past 12 months that seem to have impacted his on-field performances. He shares Arteta's agent and reports have linked him with a potential future move to Arsenal?

He needs to get his head sorted out and find his form, (ideally before the summer Euros), or his football career will be damaged.

I agree he can be a quality footballer if his mind is fully focussed.

Has anyone seen much of Ben White, on loan at Leeds from Brighton?

Homegrown and I've heard very good things.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.