January transfer/its quiet Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delph is far better than average as the inability to name many other Premier league left backs who are superior would prove.

As for Zinchenko,he's best playing in a KDB type role.
I think we should somehow exclude the 'Pep factor' while assessing City players. United fans are already saying that their squad is far, far worse and City 'have bought the league' which is not true. Guardiola seems to improve players' performance at unbelievable rate, hiding their weak points behind the system.

Delph is not a good attacking fullback as he doesn't even have the athleticism to attack the flank and defend large spaces behind. Let's face it - he's a temporary solution, a reliable squad player that can fill multiple positions when needed.

On the other hand, a player like PM would be a serious competitor to Mendy.

I think we should somehow exclude the 'Pep factor' while assessing City players. United fans are already saying that their squad is far, far worse and City 'have bought the league' which is not true. Guardiola seems to improve players' performance at unbelievable rate, hiding their weak points behind the system.

Delph is not a good attacking fullback as he doesn't even have the athleticism to attack the flank and defend large spaces behind. Let's face it - he's a temporary solution, a reliable squad player that can fill multiple positions when needed.

On the other hand, a player like PM would be a serious competitor to Mendy.

I think Delph not being a good attacking full back is a bit different from him not being a good full back.
He can't rip it up down the wings I would agree but his passing and build up are excellent.

FB combos of Mendy/Phillip Max (left) and Walker/Maffeo (right) do sound pretty good to me.

I think Delph not being a good attacking full back is a bit different from him not being a good full back.
He can't rip it up down the wings I would agree but his passing and build up are excellent.
Exactly.

@Andrew___K conveniently moved the goalposts to suit his point.

Delph is a very good left back,thats it.

Delph is far better than average as the inability to name many other Premier league left backs who are superior would prove.

As for Zinchenko,he's best playing in a KDB type role.

Delph and Sane deserve huge credit. Sane for playing as a winger with two defenders on him everygame but still causing issues and Delph for playing a position that is new to him and for playing so many games despite previous issues. We have played the top 5 teams in the league and won and Delph has not cost us... he has made errors and so have others. The one at united was due to being unsighted and failing to react when Otamendi missed the ball. Harsh to critocose too much for that. Otherwise he has been more than solid and he is still learning the position.

Against Huddersfield he made an error chasing the ball rather than marking the man but he has improved from then. Think back to Kolarov and Clichy... neither of them would get in ahead of Delph and both were good left backs for different reasons. Delph has been excellent and Mendy could be world class.

I think Delph has most certainly played above expectations.

What I think he offers which I don’t necessarily think Mendy would have done is coming into midfield and offering support in the build-up and overall possession play.

I just think going into those knockout rounds of the Champions League Pep may want that extra option of an overlapping fullback on the left and someone who could play as a wing-back giving us that option of playing a back-three with Sergio and Jesus up top.

Looking at how the season is potentially setting up, especially in the Champions League - which for me is the most open it has been in years - I don’t think we have had a better opportunity to go all in during January to give us the best possible opportunity to win multiple silverware this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.