January window

I wasn’t suggesting they were the same in character, simply that they are going to be difficult to shift on a permanent basis. If he was unwilling to leave in the summer, I’m not convinced that anything has changed to make him wish to leave now. If anything, with a new baby, he might feel even less inclined to leave his environs.
I think he's more likely quite keen to leave now, he's given it a second season shot and will want to restart he career. There will be a few clubs wanting him in the summer somebody will pay a decent fee.

I wasn’t suggesting they were the same in character, simply that they are going to be difficult to shift on a permanent basis. If he was unwilling to leave in the summer, I’m not convinced that anything has changed to make him wish to leave now. If anything, with a new baby, he might feel even less inclined to leave his environs.
Not playing when Rodri was out and then behind Lewis, Kovacic and Stones will have given him the message loud and clear.
With the Euros looming he'll go, but my guess is on loan to Newcastle.

If he were available, perhaps, but I just don’t see him playing in the same way as Rodri. He’s also out with a torn knee ligament so any discussion is purely academic.
Yes it's academic, but if he was fit, available & money was no object, of all the CDM's I can think of, Camavinga would be my first pick.

If you could pick any two CDM's, who would you opt for?

That would be ‘at best’ in my opinion. The lad has hardly played and clubs know our predicament and will probably seek to take him on loan with no obligation to buy. With a new baby he may have no inclination to move, so we might just have to accept that he’ll be around until the summer.
It's been evident since the summer that City want to part company with Philips. He wanted to stay & fight for his place, but even when Rodri was suspended, & we've played dead rubber matches, he's failed to start or even get on.

The difference with this window to last summer is Kalvin's been told he needs to be playing to secure his England spot. Pep's even come out & said he can't find a place for him, as he doesn't suit our style.

However, he's just turned 28, he's had 18 months under Guardiola, & he's an England International who'll help fulfil UEFA quotas. He'll perfectly suit Newcastle or Spuds & make them stronger imho.

Yes it's academic, but if he was fit, available & money was no object, of all the CDM's I can think of, Camavinga would be my first pick.

If you could pick any two CDM's, who would you opt for?
Declan Rice and Douglas Luiz. Not suggesting either is better than Rodri,nor necessarily the two you favour, but they are league tested. I still think we might have to find a system that we can revert to when Rodri is unavailable.

Declan Rice and Douglas Luiz. Not suggesting either is better than Rodri,nor necessarily the two you favour, but they are league tested. I still think we might have to find a system that we can revert to when Rodri is unavailable.
I’ve seen long winded attempts to explain it, but I’ll never understand how we couldn’t get a work permit for Douglas Luiz but Villa could. Very frustrating.

Rodri is Rodri. Before him Fernandinho was Fernandinho & before him Yaya was Yaya. All very different players, but all equally as effective.

I rated Rice when many didn't, & I've always loved Luiz. In terms of a Philips replacement, I wouldn't say no to any of them in truth, but I'd probably place Camavinga & Tchouameni ahead of Rice & Luiz if a Genie gave me a wish.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.