Japan v Spain, Costa Rica v Germany - Thu 1st Dec, 19:00 | Group E | World Cup 2022

Who will qualify?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What the fuck has happened to German football?
They've been utter dogshit for ages now

Even in that case, it is still limited by the framerate of the camera (which is one of the big issues with VAR in general). That is, it may not actually be the furthest position of the ball, especially when you take in to account over angles that seem to indicate it went further before contact with the Japanese player's boot.

That is the issue: they were overturning the on field decision, not confirm it, which is meant to have a higher standard.

It is a limitation but I’m pretty sure the goal line tech camera has a significantly higher framerate than any camera for TV. It could be clear to the VAR because he has direct access to a camera with a higher framerate than we do.

The higher standard for overturning an on field decision is only for subjective things like penalties and red cards. Offsides and things like this are binary yes/no, the on the field decision has no bearing on the VAR decision.

I’m not saying that’s the way it should be by the way (in fact I’ve argued before that in instances like this there should be an umpire’s call thing, like in cricket). I’m just saying that’s the rule as it stands.

It is a limitation but I’m pretty sure the goal line tech camera has a significantly higher framerate than any camera for TV. It could be clear to the VAR because he has direct access to a camera with a higher framerate than we do.

The higher standard for overturning an on field decision is only for subjective things like penalties and red cards. Offsides and things like this are binary yes/no, the on the field decision has no bearing on the VAR decision.

I’m not saying that’s the way it should be by the way (in fact I’ve argued before that in instances like this there should be an umpire’s call thing, like in cricket). I’m just saying that’s the rule as it stands.
The problem is based on the limitations of the VAR-supporting technology (which, by-the-by, they will not officially disclose), even offside and ball in or out of play calls are still partially subjective because the tech has a margin of error like anything else but we don't know what it is and humans interpret the imagery, as was the case here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.