Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if its already been posted....wanted to copy it to the forum, incase some hadn't seen it! a great report on Denayer from city's official website.....

The rise and rise of Jason Denayer

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2015/June/The-rise-and-rise-of-Jason-Denayer/1433764987

It’s been a remarkable 24 months in the life of Jason Denayer.

Two years on from making his City bow for the u21s in the Hong Kong 7s, Jason made his first senior international start for Belgium against France in the Stade de France on Sunday night.

The 19-year old didn’t just feature but earned rave reviews for a performance which belied his modest years, earning praise from his international manager and his skipper for club and country, Vincent Kompany.

pX7ZF2tT_normal.jpg
Vincent Kompany
Special shoutout to one of our great talents @Jasondenayer . Great performance. Keep focused, keep working hard. #MCFC #Belgium
10:46 PM - 7 Jun 2015

Denayer, who has benefitted from a hugely impressive season-long loan at Celtic, shone against France’s seasoned attacking trident of Mathieu Valbuena, Olivier Giroud and Antoine Griezmann in Belgium’s 4-3 win in Paris.

Throughout, the youngster’s strength, decision-making and passing range were on full display, as well as his ability to bring the ball out from the back to launch Belgian attacks.

The Red Devils were 4-1 up when Jason was withdrawn with a slight ankle knock on 85 minutes – the fact that they conceded two in quick succession may tell its own story…

Reflecting on his first senior start, Denayer told journalists after the game: "It was very exciting - I was directly in the game and I gave 100%.

“I had to quickly win my challenges so the game could go better for us - I will remember this victory. It has been a wonderful experience for me.

“I have been told to play like I have with Celtic and with Celtic, I go forward so it’s what I did when I could find spaces.”

Typically understated words from a footballer who doesn’t seem to be fazed by any opponent or any stage despite his relative inexperience.

Following the Hong Kong 7s in 2013, Denayer earned a nomination for EDS Player of the Season for 2012/13 following 31 appearances for Patrick Vieira’s side across the u21 Premier League and the UEFA Youth League.

Those performances saw him go with the first-team on their pre-season tour to Scotland and the United States where once again he caught the eye with his classy, unfussy brand of defending against experienced strikeforces.

This indomitable, nonchalant attitude has been noted by his international manager Marc Wilmots, who compared the Jette-born defender to the man voted as the Premier League’s best player for last season.

“Jason is a lot like Eden Hazard,” Wilmots said. “Always calm. I’ve never seen him nervous; he has a lot of confidence and there will be someone with experience standing next to him.

“It is not too early for him. He has the qualities and if he does something wrong…that is my fault.”

Denayer made 44 appearances in all competitions for Celtic last season and it’s fair to say that Hoops supporters were sad to see him go after he claimed the SPL Young Player of the Year award, as well as the club’s own Young Player of the Year award.

It’s a ringing endorsement for City’s loan system that a player can go on to receive a full international debut on the strength of a season out at one of Europe’s top clubs.

Marcos Lopes has similarly benefitted from his term at Lille OSC in Ligue 1 and their progress has been keenly traced by the man who managed them at under-21 level for the previous season, Vieira.

“We have to give them the right development, and that means sending them on loan,” said the EDS boss earlier in the campaign.

“When I watch Jason playing for Celtic, or Marcos Lopes playing at Lille, it makes us really proud.

“The way they are performing let’s me know we are doing things the right stuff. We have to keep doing it. The object is to provide players for the first team, but we know the gap is massive from under-21 to the first team – but this is one way we can get them there.”

Jason’s excellent international debut has inevitably led to many City supporters banging the drum for the defender to be involved with the first-team setup at the Etihad Stadium next season.

Whether that happens or not remains to be seen but for now, the Belgian is just thinking about his next assignment – the all-important Euro 2016 qualifier against Wales on Friday night.

Both nations are locked on 11 points at the top of Group B ahead of this meeting in Cardiff and, with Kompany suspended, Jason is expected to start after his successful audition.

He declared: “If on Friday I have to face Wales? I am ready!”

This youngster looks ready to take on the world.

Its impossible to be too good to be a CB.

Its a typical British way of thinking where if a player is good on the ball and can pick out a pass then he should not be a defender. You compare that to Spain, Brazil and Argentina and they often move talented midfielders and wingers to defence.

The lad is making a name for himself at CB. You only have to look at some of the Belgian options at CB to see what he's up against. Vermaelen, Kompany, Alderwiereld, Van Buyten and even Fellaini and Witsel could do an emergency job there.

He needs time to adjust to the league and swapping his position every week will not help him one bit.

Put it this way, in recent seasons we have signed Savic and Nastasic and gave them game time at CB. Denayer has much more potential than them two and with Demichellis probably approaching his last season with us, there will be a regular squad place up for grabs next season. Surely it's in our and Denayer's best interests to slowly bleed him into the team at CB, similar to how Mourinho has with Zouma.

No evidence exists to suggest you are correct.

I've watched him scores of times & I'm not convinced cb will be his final position. I'm also 100% certain that it would be a fantastic thing for Denayer if he could hold down a job at fullback or def mid in the Premier League, & a huge help to his development as a player, not a bad thing.

All it would need is tor him to cone up against Crouch & Benteke in two games, get bitched on two headers, we lose a couple & he disappears for 6 months.

If he has other positions, he has more chance of pkaying regularly in the Premier League & learning to come to terms with it. That goes for all the young players.

He's obviously a great CB and I know plenty on here have already discussed this, but he's got all of the qualities to become a WC defensive mid. I mean as calm and confident as eden hazard, according to Wilmots. Praise like that for a 19 year old centre back just blows my mind... I'd honestly rather see him given a shot at cdm for us next season over song or fernando. Teach him the position and let him make his own

No surprise to me reading the praise he is receiving as its totally merited. Denayer is a rare breed and you will only see a few of his ilk surface a few times in a generation. I will be watching him against Wales and I hope he handles the occasion as it really is a massive game for him. I am confident he will show how good he is and it may cement a squad spot he deserves at City.

No surprise to me reading the praise he is receiving as its totally merited. Denayer is a rare breed and you will only see a few of his ilk surface a few times in a generation. I will be watching him against Wales and I hope he handles the occasion as it really is a massive game for him. I am confident he will show how good he is and it may cement a squad spot he deserves at City.

Be interesting to see how he copes against players fairly typical of some he will face in the Prem & a similar style of football.

He will cope fine with the players he faces , only the pressure of the occasion might be a bit daunting for him. EPL is digressing in terms of footballing quality , it is becoming slower and a much more technical and counter attacking style a far cry from the slick attacking over whelming style previous. Denayer will be very comfortable in the league because it is so slow now , he is also quick and good technically so he can afford to advance without fear as so many teams are deep with most players behind the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.