Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't watch the game but it sounds like he's just played his way into the starting lineup for the wales game. Wales have nothing upfront that should test him but i look forward to seeing him in a competitive game for Belgium.

Didn't watch the game but it sounds like he's just played his way into the starting lineup for the wales game. Wales have nothing upfront that should test him but i look forward to seeing him in a competitive game for Belgium.

Bale tends to be given a free role in attack in the more difficult Wales matches along with one main striker. I suspect Denayer will be seeing quite a bit of Bale, also Ramsey makes good runs into the box and is a serious scoring threat so Denayer will also need to be alert to that.

He has to be in our first team squad. I hope he is tested as a defensive midfielder in pre season because that would allow him to get more game time and wouldn't harm his development at all. Kompany saw himself as a dm when we signed him. He has a lot of pace and is composed on the ball, he can do a better job than Fernando in my opinion.

This all day. This could be the perfect situation in which to offer Denayer more game time. I am sure that the main conversation with Jason will be his desire to play regular football. He looks to me like his has a perfect skillset for a DM, with his clever reading of a game, mobility, and strong tackling - all qualities that Fernando doesn't appear to possess.

So to me it's a win/win. Denayer gets to play more, and we derive the benefit of him getting more regular play time.

This all day. This could be the perfect situation in which to offer Denayer more game time. I am sure that the main conversation with Jason will be his desire to play regular football. He looks to me like his has a perfect skillset for a DM, with his clever reading of a game, mobility, and strong tackling - all qualities that Fernando doesn't appear to possess.

So to me it's a win/win. Denayer gets to play more, and we derive the benefit of him getting more regular play time.
He has 3 chances imo, cb, rb, c def mid. I would like to see him tried in all 3. I love Zaba, but on last season's level, I think Denayer could do better with one foot in plaster.

He has to be in our first team squad. I hope he is tested as a defensive midfielder in pre season because that would allow him to get more game time and wouldn't harm his development at all. Kompany saw himself as a dm when we signed him. He has a lot of pace and is composed on the ball, he can do a better job than Fernando in my opinion.

There is a hell of a difference between being a very promising young centre back and playing defensive midfield for a very attacking premiership team . A friend of mine who has seen a lot of him this season and is a pretty good judge of a player is not sure if he is ready for a top premiership team yet. If he plays, playing him in his regular position with an experienced centre back beside him is the way forward.

There is a hell of a difference between being a very promising young centre back and playing defensive midfield for a very attacking premiership team . A friend of mine who has seen a lot of him this season and is a pretty good judge of a player is not sure if he is ready for a top premiership team yet. If he plays, playing him in his regular position with an experienced centre back beside him is the way forward.

There's clearly a difference but as I say, if he's competing with three other centre backs he isn't going to get a lot of game time. He'll get some because of injuries and rotations but if we try him at DM in pre-season then depending on how he does it's another potential position he can perform a role in. I've seen a lot of him as well and I feel as though I'm a decent judge of a player - he's very very good in possession and he isn't afraid to pass the ball forwards either. Combine that with his composure and excellent ability to read the game (albeit as a centre back) and it's worth trying him out as a DM considering our other option in that role is hardly setting the world alight.

If he can get a few games more by being able to play in that position then I think it's a good thing. As I said, when Kompany arrived and was played at DM he was often sloppy in possession and if someone had have told me he'd go on to be one of the best centre backs in the world I'd have laughed. Denayer has so much composure and intelligence for a young player and I want him to get as much time on the pitch as possible. I'm not talking about using him like the rags use Jones and playing him everywhere and anywhere, but it's worth trying him in pre-season if it means more game time. I don't think playing as a DM does any harm to a player who wants to play CB, it gives him an opportunity to get used to the pace of the league without being left in the firing line - you can get away with the odd poor positioning etc at DM more than you can at CB.

You don't play youth players out of position so soon. They need familiarity, there's no need to convert him into a utility player.

He's clearly highly rated by both the Belgian & Celtic setup as a centre half so either play him in his natural position or sell/loan him.

Who does he play ahead of when everyone's fit? The club captain or the £32m player bought just last season?

Personally I believe he could perform a role similar to that of Zouma at Chelsea. A smattering of premier league starts to cover for injuries suspension and form and then coming on in the latter stages of games when we're looking to grind out a result. The Problem for me is Demichelis, Now I'll accept that he's been arguably our best defender over the past season but I feel that it was a crazy decision to give Him a new contract even if only for a year he's 34 and I wouldn't expect him to accept being our fourth choice centre back. this must be the season where we consider Mangala and Kompany as our first choice partnership and with Boyata gone that leaves us with a quartet of Kompany Mangala Demichelis and Denayer and Denayer is far Too good to simply slot into Boyatas place as a "cup games only" choice. I'm struggling to see how all four can be kept happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.