Jeremy Doku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than the Americanised team 'farming' (which generally refers to youth development, but is not the origin of the European term), the French league was originally referred to as 'the Farmers league' as many of the clubs were established by local farmers to give their communities a voice.

This extended to South American teams also.

A little like how lots of English teams were either church founded or railway founded.

In any case, I've lived in France for 23 years and the only 2 teams that have a soul are Lens & Saint Etienne.
But what's that got to do with leagues like Ligue Une and the Bundesliga being called farmer's leagues in reference to one team dominating the league year in and year out. Different "farmers" can't win the league, LOL? People have said the Bundesliga has become a farmer's league. It has nothing to do with actual farmers. It's because Bayern dominate the league and use all the other clubs to farm talent for them only to then take the talent for themselves so they can continue to dominate, and that includes Dortmund. That's what I know it to mean...

Feels like a player Napoli or Dortmund would sign this window and then sell for a massive fee next summer. The stats back up that he’s a quality young player , put him in an attacking team he’d look very good.
A lot better than Sancho or Anthony, look at their prices, not a straight line runner like Navas or Adama, what is the one thing Pep can not coach pace. Take the Brentford games they played man to man and the more skillful side lost to pace.

In any case, I've lived in France for 23 years and the only 2 teams that have a soul are Lens & Saint Etienne.
You need to get yourself to Roazhon Park, mon ami.

I take the term "Farmer's league" to be a Twitter-level insult used by people who basically only watch the Prem and buy into Sky Sports "Best league in the world" line so much that they just assume every other league except La Liga is shit and that all the teams below PSG/Monaco/Marseille are at the same level of Preston North End. Would bet my life 99% of the people who throw that term around haven't actually sat through a full 90 minutes of Ligue 1.

Don't get me wrong, the Prem is far and away the best league right now. That's obvious. It has by far the most money and competition, even with us winning 5 in 6. But that doesn't mean other leagues (especially Ligue 1 which is so often the target of derision) are shit. Let's not forget Lyon, who are barely even a force in Ligue 1 anymore, knocked us out of Europe not that long ago.

Anyway, that's all off-topic. I was just having a look at the Stade Rennais forum for some general thoughts. Most people there are hearing quotes around 50 million euros and saying it's far too good to turn down. General perception is that they're losing a good player who finally started to find some form towards the end of last season but has been pretty inconsistent and often injured, so it's not the biggest loss, which is kinda what I've said in the past, so won't repeat myself. A couple have even made jokes along the lines of "Come and get him City, but skip the medical."

French journos also appear to be saying that Doku is on our list but not necessarily at the top of it and we have worries about his injury record. Not saying that's true, but it's just what I've read.

You need to get yourself to Roazhon Park, mon ami.

I take the term "Farmer's league" to be a Twitter-level insult used by people who basically only watch the Prem and buy into Sky Sports "Best league in the world" line so much that they just assume every other league except La Liga is shit and that all the teams below PSG/Monaco/Marseille are at the same level of Preston North End. Would bet my life 99% of the people who throw that term around haven't actually sat through a full 90 minutes of Ligue 1.

Don't get me wrong, the Prem is far and away the best league right now. That's obvious. It has by far the most money and competition, even with us winning 5 in 6. But that doesn't mean other leagues (especially Ligue 1 which is so often the target of derision) are shit. Let's not forget Lyon, who are barely even a force in Ligue 1 anymore, knocked us out of Europe not that long ago.

Anyway, that's all off-topic. I was just having a look at the Stade Rennais forum for some general thoughts. Most people there are hearing quotes around 50 million euros and saying it's far too good to turn down. General perception is that they're losing a good player who finally started to find some form towards the end of last season but has been pretty inconsistent and often injured, so it's not the biggest loss, which is kinda what I've said in the past, so won't repeat myself. A couple have even made jokes along the lines of "Come and get him City, but skip the medical."

French journos also appear to be saying that Doku is on our list but not necessarily at the top of it and we have worries about his injury record. Not saying that's true, but it's just what I've read.
Rennes supporters turn out when they're doing well but, like Nice, are pretty much nowhere to be seen when they're at the bottom / mid-table.

Lens & Saint Etienne have a far larger core support (and this in spite of Rennes being 'the' team of one of tge proudest regions in France, identity wise).

I was asked regarding the origin of the term (which I correctly stated was originally to do with teams set up by agriculturalists with no particular winning ambition, just a desire to be a place on 'the map', rather than to do with the bastardisation that it has become to be interpreted as from the US term 'farming', in which case one might pose the question why they are known as 'farmers leagues' and not 'farming leagues', which would make more sense).

In any event, the PL is the strongest league, but as you say thats 'at the moment'. It's cyclical.

The French league has talent, but is generally pretty / extremelly raw.

Oh, and please don't call me 'mon ami'.... I was born in Wythenshawe Hospital and brought up in Benchill, Whalley Range, Moss Side, Crumpsall & Urmston....

I'm essentially Mançais...

are we waiting to see what happens with cole to make a bid for doku?

are we waiting to see what happens with cole to make a bid for doku?

We need just to get our business done while now crazy prices and deals are being done as things are only going to get more expensive the closer to the end of the window?

Rennes supporters turn out when they're doing well but, like Nice, are pretty much nowhere to be seen when they're at the bottom / mid-table.

Lens & Saint Etienne have a far larger core support (and this in spite of Rennes being 'the' team of one of tge proudest regions in France, identity wise).

I was asked regarding the origin of the term (which I correctly stated was originally to do with teams set up by agriculturalists with no particular winning ambition, just a desire to be a place on 'the map', rather than to do with the bastardisation that it has become to be interpreted as from the US term 'farming', in which case one might pose the question why they are known as 'farmers leagues' and not 'farming leagues', which would make more sense).

In any event, the PL is the strongest league, but as you say thats 'at the moment'. It's cyclical.

The French league has talent, but is generally pretty / extremelly raw.

Oh, and please don't call me 'mon ami'.... I was born in Wythenshawe Hospital and brought up in Benchill, Whalley Range, Moss Side, Crumpsall & Urmston....

I'm essentially Mançais...
Wow. Wasn't expecting such a tetchy response. Personally went to every Rennes game in 15/16 and quite a few in 13/14 and 14/15 too when the team was going through some tough times. Can assure you that even with the absolute dross that Philippe Montanier served up, the fans were still there singing loud and proud.

Rest of my post wasn't aimed at you or discrediting your interpretation of "farmer's league". I lived in Guingamp. I know all about farmer teams.

"Mon ami" was a bit of lighthearted banter from one formerly France-based expat to another. But guess someone woke up on the wrong side today.

Wow. Wasn't expecting such a tetchy response. Personally went to every Rennes game in 15/16 and quite a few in 13/14 and 14/15 too when the team was going through some tough times. Can assure you that even with the absolute dross that Philippe Montanier served up, the fans were still there singing loud and proud.

Rest of my post wasn't aimed at you or discrediting your interpretation of "farmer's league". I lived in Guingamp. I know all about farmer teams.

"Mon ami" was a bit of lighthearted banter from one formerly France-based expat to another. But guess someone woke up on the wrong side today.
My response was light-hearted (hence the emoji).

Not my intention to battle people of message boards (as it happens I'm on a train to Dax to battle bulls at the feria).

: )

Once again, and just for avoidance of any misunderstanding, my response was to playfully clarify that, even though I've lived in France for a long time, I'm Mancunian (and not being tetchy).

And this isnt to continue the debate, which I'm sure everyone is sick to the back teeth of (including me), but I was actually just stunned to find out that Stade Rennais have never sold out their stadium (which I found extremely surprising given their lack of Breton competition, and the fact that they only have a 29k capacity stadium).

Not sure how that compares to other teams though, tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.