Jihadi John Song

Attention hungry accounts?
Why else are you on Twitter, if not for attention?
Isn't your Twitter account's sole purpose to gain attention?

Are you saying everyone with a Twitter account has one for attention? All 1 billion?

I started my account in summer 2011. I was in a very bad place at the time and also quite ill. I posted a lot of news on here and there was nothing of the sort on Twitter. So I started it, not really expecting it to last, but people really liked it and more people followed so I kept it going.

Anyone who knows me personally knows I'm someone who hates excessive attention, and I've always been a slightly reluctant owner of a very popular account. I really, genuinely don't give a shit how popular or well known I am - do you know my name? How many do? Have you heard me on a podcast or seen me on TV (and I have had offers)? Have you ever seen me use the account as a personal soapbox to try and big up myself or opinions? Wouldn't someone in it for the attention use the popularity to become personally well known?

Anyway, this is off topic and if anyone has a problem with me or wants to question my integrity for posting a fucking song, as bad as it may be one that is relevant to City fan culture in Jan 2016 (and that's the whole point of the account, staying on top of things without the North Korean controlled spin - a bit like why this thread exists, cos we discuss these things), send me a private message.

But the numerous songs referering to WW2 arent? How about the songs celebrating the bombing of the swamp. There are still Mancunians around who lost people to bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe, there are certainly people who lost people to the Irish.....yet only now when we are facing a bigger threat than was posed to our existence by either Germany or the IRA do we suddenly have people making a fuss over a rude song.

With some bleating how the nasty ISIS people might come and bomb the Etihad or worrying lest the song may offend a muslim. God help this country!
I'm not a Muslim and it offends me BECAUSE its at my football club by fans who support our club. If you want a voice organise a protest march and leave the fans to get on watching the football.

Oh and by the way, our owner is Muslim so to apply a 'one-size-fits-all' to all Muslim's just shows how far out some people's judgements are.

Last edited:
Some things you joke about some you dont .im sure alans ? Brother will be thrilled to hear it being sung .
If i was sagna and i heard it idwalk over and ask them to stop or maybe issue a statement distance himself from it

I thought we'd heard the last of that name and was happy the world was rid. My Dad (Alan's brother) is a season ticket holder in the South Stand. We have no right to tell people what to sing about but I truly hope he doesn't encounter this at City - the one place that he uses as an escape.

My heart goes out to you and your family mate, and I totally agree that irrespective of people's feelings on the matter we go to The Etihad for football not politics. Not wanting to hear and talk about outside shit isn't being scared of terrorists, it's about enjoying 2-3 hours of football before we return to reality of our existences.

If people want to make noise about such things, they should go out and organise a protest so they can be heard (that's if anyone's interested), not use the medium of a football match.

I know I'm getting old, (well all right I am old) but these two posts sum up the whole 'argument'/discussion to me. If that song is going to upset Citykev28's dad then it definitely should be stopped. There's freedom of speech and there's upsetting decent people.

As Dribble says, if you want to make a noise about it then organise a proper protest not disturb people who just go to football to support the team. Plus politics is outside of football. I'm not scared of the terrorists or of saying so, but I go to football matches to enjoy the game.

As for the Munich chants: A (definitely drunken) man fell almost on top of me at Everton, said sorry love I just wanted to shout at the Munich *swear word* and I told him straight that I did not want to hear that word applied in that context because one of our own died. To his credit he did apologise and said that ex-United *swear word*!! And I would do it (& have done it) to anyone.

Disagree with some of this.
Again, putting the chant to one side - we can't keep running scared of terrorism and not mention it for fear of reprisals - but that's just my view. I can understand others wanting to avoid drawing attention. The thing I'd say though is that ultimately it's something we all have to stand up to one way or another, otherwise they WILL win. But I'm talking about a much wider principle here, not the chant.

The vast majority of us sang the French National Anthem in support of Paris - either we are in solidarity with them, or we're not. If we ARE in solidarity with them, then we are already targets. Unless of course we just 'say' we are, whilst secretly we don't want to stand up and be counted and daren't say another about terrorism lest we provoke them.

I do agree with you on the 'no real need to bring it into football' part though. Most of us just want to watch football match when all is said and done.

@aguero93:20
It's not them winning though is it? They win when they successfully do the damage they intend to do. Provoking them and drawing attention to our fan base is a totally different matter to not living in fear. That song/video is naive and in my view, plainly unintelligent bravado which doesn't just concern the fans singing it but a whole group of people - i.e. at least around 55,000 others - which is why I and many other of our fans' take issue with it. It's one easy mindset now and a totally different one if hypothetically there was a backlash.

The country is already a target, we've been on a severe terror alert for months (going back to at least summer) - what's their best target to get the reaction they want? Football stadiums. Which grounds would they be best targeting? The biggest teams in the league with the biggest TV audiences? How about the ones mocking the death of their men?

@LoveCity What you do with your account is obviously up to you but your the biggest/main City fan account on Twitter and with that, you represent our fanbase to others across the world. Sharing any football related songs, in bad taste or not is all well and good but political songs is a totally different matter that I would have thought would be obvious to swerve when it has the potential to affect the lives of tens of thousands of people - Yes 'potential' but when it affects that many others I wouldn't go near it. Hindsight is a woman. Nobody can predict whether there is worse to come yet - it's like sharing political statements that would provoke the IRA at the height of the troubles - I think too many people have it in the back of their minds that ISIS are some organisation on the other side of the world - they almost definitely have people over here willing to sacrifice themselves for it.

It's not them winning though is it? They win when they successfully do the damage they intend to do. Provoking them and drawing attention to our fan base is a totally different matter to not living in fear. That song/video is naive and in my view, plainly unintelligent bravado which doesn't just concern the fans singing it but a whole group of people - i.e. at least around 55,000 others - which is mine and many other of our fans' problem with it.

Their target is psychological damage and a fear culture though, that's why they call it terrorism.

The vast majority of us have made made mistakes, cracked jokes in poor taste and felt peer pressure to join in something less that savoury and I see this as a prime example of such.
I really don't think it should warrant a ban, and certainly not a lifetime ban. There's no malicious intent behind it (in my opinion). It's just a bit daft, and again, in my opinion, does really paint the best picture of City fans.
There's far worse out there (see Villa fans tantrum yesterday), but that doesn't mean we can't keep striving to be classier fans.

Our club has moved on a long way recently, and I like to think it would be good if our fan base could also progress from the antics of yesteryear. We are who we are, and we shouldn't pretend to be particularly upmarket connoisseurs of football or overly highbrow supporters, but I think (and hope) we can rise above this sort of thing.

It's unrealistic to expect ever City fan to behave to some undefined set of standards, but I'd like to think the chant is well below the majority's standard!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.