Jim Tolmie

He was one of City's better players in the 80s, remember he scored against Shrewsbury away in 84 when we won 1 - 3 my first away game without Uncle with my mates.

I also used to like Jim Melrose remember him scoring a great goal against Notts County at Maine Road from more or less the half way line.

I remember going to Newcastle away when the clash was billed the Tolmie v Keegan show. They battered us 5-0. IIRC Peter Beardsley got a hat-trick that day. Another day where the 'It should have been ten' song would have been very apt.

Tolmie and Derek Parlane were fantastic together that season - I remember going to a League Cup game v. Torquay that season - we won 6-0 with Parlane and Tolmie getting 5 goals between them (Parlane hat-trick). (Jamie Hoyland got the other as I remember).

Sadly it only lasted for one season.

Given the millions we spend now, it's a little sobering to see the transfer fee ... we had to think long and hard about whether to shell-out £30,000 for him in those days - probably blew half our transfer budget ! How times have changed.

Impeccable said:
I remember going to Newcastle away when the clash was billed the Tolmie v Keegan show. They battered us 5-0. IIRC Peter Beardsley got a hat-trick that day. Another day where the 'It should have been ten' song would have been very apt.

Never forget that day, Karma Chameleon my arse we got battered on the pitch and a nightmare trying to get back to the coach after, windows put in and bottles flying out of the park behind the stand. The good old days...

I've never waited in such anticipation for a game as that one on 29th October 1983 when we played Newcastle. I've never felt so down either after that result. It was worse than the Luton game the season before and countless other defeats since.

The hype in the press and on TV that week was imense. The poster earlier was right about the Tolmie v Keegan showdown. But the our boys never turned up and it was the game that really brought Beardsley and waddle onto the national stage. I've never liked those chumps Newcastle since then.

Even though we were in the second division back then, MOTD was able to show second tier games and no wonder, as the biggest crowds were not in the first, but the second with City, Sheff Wed, Chelsea, Leeds and to a lesser extent Newcastle pulling in 25,000 plus per game. (City v Sheff Wed &Newcastle pulled in over 41,000 !!).

Back to Jim Tolmie, The Barnsley free kick into the Platt lane end was so immense, 3 of us tried to perfect the technique for months on end on some fields in South Reddish, with the trailing left foot dragging along the grass revealing the classic Adidas champions logo. No doubt the pre-pubescent Beckham saw & stole Jim Tolmies beautiful free kick technique and claimed it his own. Utterly disgusting.

Other memorable moments was his one off radio show with Neil Mcnab and Derek Parlane on new years eve 1983 on piccadilly radio. Really funny guy had us in stitches. (sounds of tinnies being openened while claiming to be teetotal andsong requests for Ray Ranson such as 'Please release me' by Engelbert.

Without doubt, an inspiring city player for me and my mates during that time. I'll never forget him. A real hero.

Please go and raise a toast to the enigma that is Jim Tolmie, A fine footballer, and to me at least, easily worth a top fifty greatest city players of all time for his creative footballing inspiration and not letting me lose the City faith in those darkest of times when all looked lost.

Always a favourite of mine. Remember him taking a nonchelant amount of time to score a tap in against Newcastle Platt Lane end.

Eggsy said:
He was one of City's better players in the 80s, remember he scored against Shrewsbury away in 84 when we won 1 - 3 my first away game without Uncle with my mates.

I also used to like Jim Melrose remember him scoring a great goal against Notts County at Maine Road from more or less the half way line.

Still remains my favourite City goal to this day. I was in the North Stand behind Jim McDonagh when that went in...amazing goal.

baildon blue said:
What happened to that cult hero of the 80s jim tolmie?I remember us buying him from lokeren in 1983

I heard that since he retired he spends his days searching for cryptic youtube vidz

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.