Jimmy Greaves

Greaves is the best English striker our game has seen. A brilliant player who scored all sorts of goals and I feel privileged to have seen the tail end of his career. He also scored his goals at a time when English football was much more defensive and physical than it is these days. God knows how many he would have score in the current City team. Assuming modern fitness regimes I think he would be a 40 to 50 goals a season player. Certainly at Ronaldo levels. He has been largely ignored by the media, probably because he didn't play for any of the Cartel clubs.

Jimmy Greaves debut for West Ham at Maine Road was the first City game I attended.

We lost 5-1 in a mudbath, Greaves scored and big Joe had a drop kick volleyed straight back in to the net from the half way line

I was hooked.
IIRC Joe whacked it upfield,turned his back and chassé-ed back to his goal line and had the ball lifted over his head. He must have been somewhat surprised.

I know but I am not sure the cartel even existed then! And I'm not even sure Milan are in the cartel any more after being wiped out by Juve the cartel kings! Milan's heyday was the 80s.

But they are still part of the historical UEFA CL family, and will have an invitation/wild card to join in any future variation of the European/Uefa Cup/CL that Uefa might dream up to maintain and increase the revenue stream.

I was on the Kippax that afternoon,Greaves got the goal after just 6 minutes when they took the lead,we won 4-1 36.000 crowd.
Mrs Vienna was there too.

Our goals were scored by Buzzer, The King, Nellie and TC, though not necessarily in that order.

A great pundit too. Totally unbiased and just having a laugh. When TV had no agenda to speak of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.