Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
nothing wrong with that at all.

Yeah if you're James Milner. If you're Manchester City, with a shortage of homegrown players, with a shortage of transfer funds due to FFP, I daresay there's a lot wrong with it.

I wonder what the homegrown premium would be for James Milner if he was under contract and Liverpool/Arsenal wanted him. He's easily a 20 million pound player which is why this entire episode stinks.

That's our own fault mate, not the fault of James Milner

We could have looked at a couple of homegrown players in the last couple of summers, but we've chose to go down another route. I'm sure Milner knows how important he is to the club from a homegrown rule point of view, and he is a 20 million pound player that could go for nothing. But that isn't the fault of the player, if anything its just poor planning from the club

The reason Arsenal got rid of RVP and Nasri was that if they hadn't they would have walked away for nothing, if City even had a sniff that Milner wasn't going to sign then they should have looked to ship him out in the summer, or at least given him a deadline

City offered Milner a new contract last summer and made it clear to him how important he was to us. This comes after he played an integral part in our title run in. Milner quite publicly turned around and said that he didn't even want to look at the contract offer because he didn't feel he'd played enough. Understandable, so this season he has played more league games, more champions league games, and more big games. Why is the disrespectful motherfucker still not signing up? If he had decided last summer he was going to Liverpool why didn't he tell the club that and we'd have sold him to them?

Since he made a big song and dance about how he just wanted to play more games the club have done absolutely the right thing by ensuring he played more games, big and small. The manager has said repeatedly that he's a very important player and has backed this up by playing him regularly.

So now it's not about playing time for Milner but about something else. He can fuck himself if he walks on a free. I agree with Tolmie, send the twat to the stiffs until he either signs up or puts in a transfer request and we get some money for him this January. We should make a point so that the next twat who tries to take liberties as Milner has done knows that City won't stand for it. I realise it's never going to happen just as Tevez was always going to be welcomed back into the fold but we live in hope.

EDIT:

Here's the well informed Guardian piece on his contract from last summer.

In preliminary talks at the end of last season, City suggested that there was a four-year deal on the table and stressed that he was a valued member of the squad. The feeling is that Milner would have put pen to paper if that offer had been made 12 months earlier, when he had featured more frequently in the team, starting half of City’s Premier League games. But City delayed and Milner was not inclined to sign after a season when he was a bit-part player under Pellegrini.

It is understood that neither Milner nor his representatives asked to see what figures City had in mind when they proposed the new contract before the World Cup finals, such is the player’s desire to base his decision purely on football.

Milner will be 29 in January and, although he feels at home at City and loves playing for the club, the bottom line is that he wants to be sure that he spends the next few years of his career on the pitch. City are believed to be sympathetic to Milner’s position.

As things stand, City are not looking to offload him and the player has no intention of angling for a move. There is a queue of clubs ready to take Milner but he wants to have a crack at convincing Pellegrini that he is worth a place in the team. He is due to return to pre-season training on Thursday, after being given an extended break following his time away with England at the World Cup, and it is anticipated that he will hold talks with the manager during the coming weeks to discuss his situation and the new campaign.

At this stage all the indications are that Milner will use the first half of the season to see if he can play his way into the starting XI. If he succeeds in doing so, the midfielder is likely to sign a new contract with City. If nothing changes and opportunities remain limited, he will explore other options and is expected to leave at the end of the season, when he would be a particularly attractive free transfer.

That could've been written by Milner himself such are the lengths gone to to point out how this is just about how much he plays football and not about money.

He's entitled to run his contract down, but I do expect a bit of honesty from him. The only thing that is really pissing me off about Milner leaving on a Bosman, is the fact that whilst we are still suffering from FFP sanctions we are not in a position to just go out and replace him. It will certainly have an impact on our summer spending, and could fuck up our plans completely.

Aren't the whole squad in Abu Dhabi this week ? An ideal time to tie things up, if he hasn't signed by next weekend then I don't think he will be and we should start looking for offers.

Goal says "City insiders believe the England international may be deliberately stalling in contract negotiations to keep his options open."

well well , he can't possibly be getting more playing time ?? he is being very naughty and not very boring !!

stony said:
He's entitled to run his contract down, but I do expect a bit of honesty from him. The only thing that is really pissing me off about Milner leaving on a Bosman, is the fact that whilst we are still suffering from FFP sanctions we are not in a position to just go out and replace him. It will certainly have an impact on our summer spending, and could fuck up our plans completely.

Exactly. Since whenever you sign an English player there's a premium involved, someone is going to get a fucking bargain, and on top of that City are then going to be in the unenviably position of not having enough English players in the senior squad and having to drop huge amounts to get some which may not be available, or work with a smaller squad.

For me this is a really shitty situation for the club to find themselves in and a little bit of transparency from Milner wouldn't go amiss.

Mister Appointment said:
stony said:

Exactly. Since whenever you sign an English player there's a premium involved, someone is going to get a fucking bargain, and on top of that City are then going to be in the unenviably position of not having enough English players in the senior squad and having to drop huge amounts to get some which may not be available, or work with a smaller squad.

For me this is a really shitty situation for the club to find themselves in and a little bit of transparency from Milner wouldn't go amiss.

On a plus point...we may well have to go balls out for Barkley

IanBishopsHaircut said:
Mister Appointment said:
stony said:

On a plus point...we may well have to go balls out for Barkley

We might not be able to. We're still being restricted under the ffp ruling. The amount we will be allowed to spend could vary from between somewhere in the mid £60M range and as little as the mid 30s. It depends how the bent cunts at UEFA choose to interpret the restrictions they placed upon us.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
Yeah if you're James Milner. If you're Manchester City, with a shortage of homegrown players, with a shortage of transfer funds due to FFP, I daresay there's a lot wrong with it.

I wonder what the homegrown premium would be for James Milner if he was under contract and Liverpool/Arsenal wanted him. He's easily a 20 million pound player which is why this entire episode stinks.

That's our own fault mate, not the fault of James Milner

We could have looked at a couple of homegrown players in the last couple of summers, but we've chose to go down another route. I'm sure Milner knows how important he is to the club from a homegrown rule point of view, and he is a 20 million pound player that could go for nothing. But that isn't the fault of the player, if anything its just poor planning from the club

The reason Arsenal got rid of RVP and Nasri was that if they hadn't they would have walked away for nothing, if City even had a sniff that Milner wasn't going to sign then they should have looked to ship him out in the summer, or at least given him a deadline

City offered Milner a new contract last summer and made it clear to him how important he was to us. This comes after he played an integral part in our title run in. Milner quite publicly turned around and said that he didn't even want to look at the contract offer because he didn't feel he'd played enough. Understandable, so this season he has played more league games, more champions league games, and more big games. Why is the disrespectful motherfucker still not signing up? If he had decided last summer he was going to Liverpool why didn't he tell the club that and we'd have sold him to them?

Since he made a big song and dance about how he just wanted to play more games the club have done absolutely the right thing by ensuring he played more games, big and small. The manager has said repeatedly that he's a very important player and has backed this up by playing him regularly.

So now it's not about playing time for Milner but about something else. He can fuck himself if he walks on a free. I agree with Tolmie, send the twat to the stiffs until he either signs up or puts in a transfer request and we get some money for him this January. We should make a point so that the next twat who tries to take liberties as Milner has done knows that City won't stand for it. I realise it's never going to happen just as Tevez was always going to be welcomed back into the fold but we live in hope.

EDIT:

Here's the well informed Guardian piece on his contract from last summer.

In preliminary talks at the end of last season, City suggested that there was a four-year deal on the table and stressed that he was a valued member of the squad. The feeling is that Milner would have put pen to paper if that offer had been made 12 months earlier, when he had featured more frequently in the team, starting half of City’s Premier League games. But City delayed and Milner was not inclined to sign after a season when he was a bit-part player under Pellegrini.

It is understood that neither Milner nor his representatives asked to see what figures City had in mind when they proposed the new contract before the World Cup finals, such is the player’s desire to base his decision purely on football.

Milner will be 29 in January and, although he feels at home at City and loves playing for the club, the bottom line is that he wants to be sure that he spends the next few years of his career on the pitch. City are believed to be sympathetic to Milner’s position.

As things stand, City are not looking to offload him and the player has no intention of angling for a move. There is a queue of clubs ready to take Milner but he wants to have a crack at convincing Pellegrini that he is worth a place in the team. He is due to return to pre-season training on Thursday, after being given an extended break following his time away with England at the World Cup, and it is anticipated that he will hold talks with the manager during the coming weeks to discuss his situation and the new campaign.

At this stage all the indications are that Milner will use the first half of the season to see if he can play his way into the starting XI. If he succeeds in doing so, the midfielder is likely to sign a new contract with City. If nothing changes and opportunities remain limited, he will explore other options and is expected to leave at the end of the season, when he would be a particularly attractive free transfer.

That could've been written by Milner himself such are the lengths gone to to point out how this is just about how much he plays football and not about money.

Those two bits in bold are the main comments that stand out

If he signs a 3 year deal, will he still be playing regularly in a years time? Again thats something that he has to think about himself as he could find himself being left out in the cold at the age of 30 and in the same position again

I think we are just about half way through the season now and he has featured a hell of a lot, so that is something he can no longer complain about, and he has proved to be instrumental in our good run as of late. Perhaps the fact that Pellegrini has mentioned in his last couple of interviews that he hopes he signs the contract, is a bit of an indication that this will all be solved relatively soon

But as we know football is a cut-throat business, if City didn't want to take Milners word for it last summer then they should have looked to get rid. They could have even done what they have done with Nastasic and left him completely out in the cold, or labelled him 'injured', which would have meant he would have looked for a new club in January.

At the end of the day we held the cards last summer but we let it slip by taking Milners word, and by the fact we were so desperate for homegrown players, now all the cards are in his hands and we either offer him what he wants or he will leave for a free.

I just don't agree with the mercenary tag, its just business

Milner has always known his value, and will try and get the best deal for himself as possible. That's his right but we don't have to play the game.

I reckon he's got a good 6/7 years left in him at least, and think that we can offer more than anyone else - money, success, relationship with the supporters etc. I suspect he doesn't want to leave but will hold out until he gets what he wants.

I'd call his bluff, if he doesnt sign the deal we offer then look to sell him this window.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.