Joanna Yeates - Student murdered

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Skashion said:
Well, actually, what I really want is to stop this absurd and lazy Americanisation of political language. By referring to every thing you disagree with as 'liberal', along with 'liberal' having negative connotations attached to it for some reason increasingly in the mind of a section of right-wingers - though I understand that you may just be an old-fashioned British conservative or a fascist.

So, what I'd like is for you to explain, when you dismiss something as liberal, is why it is liberal or why the person is liberal or making a liberal statement via a reference to the political theory of liberalism. Deal?

Another equally irritating modern phenomenon is the pejorative use of the phrase 'do-gooder',often in conjunction with the word 'liberal'.
How the right managed to hijack a term which can only carry positive connotations,to use as a virtual insult is beyond me.
This doesn't happen in any other language or country I can think of,and it should never have been allowed to earn common (mis)usage here,either.

Someone calls you a do-gooder as an insult. You've got to laugh.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Skashion said:
So, what I'd like is for you to explain, when you dismiss something as liberal, is why it is liberal or why the person is liberal or making a liberal statement via a reference to the political theory of liberalism. Deal?

It's not a reference to the theory of liberalism it's a reference to the old Liberal party and the Lib Dems.

So if I refer to you as a liberal for wanting to let paedos out of prison after 5 years to be 'socially rehabilitated', it's because your thinking is along the same lines as the party who uses the word in their name.
You should capitalise then.

mcfcnorthstand said:
Bring back the death penalty.

You're walking through town alone. You witness a stabbing up a side alley. The attacker runs off. You run in to help. Your running alerts a CCTV operator who tracks you from his control room. You are kneeling over the victim and move his clothing getting blood on your gloved hand. The CCTV now zooms in on you. You run off to get help and are arrested running away round the corner covered in blood. You are charged with murder. Still want the death penalty?

manchester blue said:
mcfcnorthstand said:
Bring back the death penalty.

You're walking through town alone. You witness a stabbing up a side alley. The attacker runs off. You run in to help. Your running alerts a CCTV operator who tracks you from his control room. You are kneeling over the victim and move his clothing getting blood on your gloved hand. The CCTV now zooms in on you. You run off to get help and are arrested running away round the corner covered in blood. You are charged with murder. Still want the death penalty?

The evidence is circumstantial with enough reasonable doubt so a capital conviction would be highly unlikely.

KpxSte said:
manchester blue said:

The evidence is circumstantial with enough reasonable doubt so a capital conviction would be highly unlikely.

and what's the CCTV operator doing whilst the stabbing is taking place? having a cuppa? also isn't it recorded so the stabbing will be seen, or at least the timings of them walking in the alley will prove there was a different situation.

I reckon the boyfriend might have something to do with the murder, maybe not done it himself, but implicated.

Johnsonontheleft said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Another equally irritating modern phenomenon is the pejorative use of the phrase 'do-gooder',often in conjunction with the word 'liberal'.
How the right managed to hijack a term which can only carry positive connotations,to use as a virtual insult is beyond me.
This doesn't happen in any other language or country I can think of,and it should never have been allowed to earn common (mis)usage here,either.

What are you talking about?

Doing good is not always positive. Robin Hood 'did good' according to the left, but according to the right he was a thief - nothing more.

And the use of 'do-gooder' by the right is hardly as bad as the use of 'bigot' or 'racist' by the left when they disagree with someone's opinion in a sly attempt to get a forum member banned.

Language changes, get over it and move with the times. Not too long ago the word 'gay' meant happy before it was hijacked to mean homosexual (or queer as it was known at the time).

This is the last time I shall reply to anything you post,as you are,by popular consent,the biggest clown we have ever had on off-topic,and everything you post is complete and utter nonsense.
'Doing good is not always positive'.
A statement so lacking in anything resembling common sense that we can move swiftly on.
I used the term 'bigot' in reference to another forumite because that is precisely what they are.
There was no 'sly attempt' to get them banned - I suggested it on a thread,and so did half a dozen others,because they blatantly transgressed the code of conduct,and were warned as a consequence.
So the moderators,the site owner,and numerous posters were all in agreement - hardly a 'sly attempt' more an example of everyone,(other than you,seemingly),concurring.
Language does indeed change,but 'do gooder' cannot mean anything other than one who does good,so again you are talking drivel.
I shall leave tackling any future examples of your abject stupidity to other forumites with more patience than myself.
I somehow doubt they will be waiting long.

BimboBob said:
It will be the dad. He cried too much at the press conference.

ha ha ha.......Its not just me then, I'm always a touch suspicious when i see press conferences. The amount of times the murderer has made a point of getting on telly or overdoing it at the conference then eventually gets caught. It will end up being the Oddball Landlord. I should imagine after he thought he was being clever telling the police he saw her leave with 2 people (to throw them off his sent) the cops probably checked a CCTV in the area that will of picked her up at that time, after it turned out to be bollox they probably said mmmmmmmmmmm....thats strange..and wondered why the slightly odd landlord with weird hair who lived on his own decided to say that.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.