Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelo weak defensively? Better at passing than Kyle Walher? Give over he played 25 league games for Juventus. At an average of 7.20 from who Scored stats. Kyle didn't have a great season last term but got 6.96 and had a pass completion stat of 90% 4% better than Cancelo.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/128967/Show/João-Cancelo
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69778/Show/Kyle-Walker
Personally I think both will complement each other in a position (full back) that requires more physical exertion than any other. Cancelo can also play left back and could play on the right wing or left/right midfield. A very versatile player and a great buy.
To be fair,Walker's pass completion rate probably improved under Pep as will Cancelo's.

To be fair,Walker's pass completion rate probably improved under Pep as will Cancelo's.
To be fair all of the stats he posted were a complete load of shite and no one over the age of 6 should care about Who Scored Player Ratings.

Cancelo also won't play left back. Reason 1, he's only played it about 5 times in his career. Reason 2, we've got 3 LB's already.

Danilo "could play LB" too...

What Walker has that sets him apart is pace and physicality.

I know that sounds like an insult, but that's what he's got which makes him crucial to how we play and almost undroppable. We can leave Walker +1 other at the back on the halfway line or higher, and never worry about balls in behind or over the top.

If you cast your mind back to Pep's first season, we got fucked on the break so many times. We'd be dominating a game completely, and then a long ball over the top or 1 decent pass in behind and we'd be in serious trouble. Bringing Walker in and killing that immediately was worth about 10 points a season over Zabaleta/Sagna/Navas.

Running towards his own goal in space, I don't think there's a better defender out there, he's brilliant at getting between the ball and the forward, or just knocking them off the ball and mopping up.

The rest of his game is good enough but nothing special. He's rarely a threat going forwards and he's the weakest on the ball in the team, his defending in the box is usually decent but a bit nervy and Lineker wasn't a million miles off when he said he couldn't cross.

It doesn't really matter though, he's undroppable because of the way he allows us to play so high up.

Pace and physicality.

We should have signed Adama Traore and saved ourselves 45m then.

But someone said earlier that Walker is weak and gives lots of easy passes away.
In my experience the only ones where Kyle Walker loses posession is when he's trying to set a winger or an AM away with a pass down a channel and we often get the ball back very quickly with our press.

Pace and physicality.

We should have signed Adama Traore and saved ourselves 45m then.

Yeah, pace and physicality is what sets Walker apart from other RB's, like Danilo.

I don't know why you're incapable of seeing weaknesses in our players without taking it as some sort of personal attack. If Walker was the perfect RB you think he is, Pep would likely not be spending €65m on another one.

To be fair all of the stats he posted were a complete load of shite and no one over the age of 6 should care about Who Scored Player Ratings. Cancelo also won't play left back. Reason 1, he's only played it about 5 times in his career. Reason 2, we've got 3 LB's already. Danilo "could play LB" too...
1) wrong, 2) wrong, 3) wrong

Walker imo isn’t guilty of giving away the ball too much, he’s guilty of holding onto it too long and telegraphing his intentions when he has the ball. He is utterly predictable and hurts our attack.

By the way while I’m bashing ... the other telegraph-extraordinares is Stones. Looks up. Sees a pass. Looks down. Takes a touch. Looks up. Positions his body to where he is (eventually) going to pass. Looks down. Looks up. Might give an old point or nod to ensure that the intended recipient is fully prepared. Looks down to get the ball ready. Looks up, yes he is still ready. Ok, Ready. Steady. Oh Jezuz better look down and up and down again just to be sure. Boot. Ball. Pass. Smile. Happy days as a footballing center back.

By the way while I’m bashing ... the other telegraph-extraordinares is Stones. Looks up. Sees a pass. Looks down. Takes a touch. Looks up. Positions his body to where he is (eventually) going to pass. Looks down. Looks up. Might give an old point or nod to ensure that the intended recipient is fully prepared. Looks down to get the ball ready. Looks up, yes he is still ready. Ok, Ready. Steady. Oh Jezuz better look down and up and down again just to be sure. Boot. Ball. Pass. Smile. Happy days as a footballing center back.
Loooool :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.