Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Walker is prone to errors on the ball and lapses in concentration, but he is far more than an extremely fast but average right back. He has been a key part of our success over the last two years, show him some respect

He's certainly average relative to what we need. Most of the clubs that are looking to compete with us for the Champions League have better there- Carvajal, Cancelo, Kimmich, Alexander-Arnold, Roberto (in certain aspects). We play a game that relies on possession, every player being able to keep the ball and in that area he's our weak link. We need an upgrade- over the last two seasons almost every player in our squad has improved- if anything, Walker has been getting worse as he's now more error prone and seems to complete fewer crosses.

Walker's only weakness has been a dip in form and occasional brain fades. It can happen, he plays in a very demanding position. People should realise he will still start majority of games, and Cancelo will ease in, most likely. But he brings something different and advantageous for our side (well, soon hopefully, if it all goes well)

I can't agree that we're spending £30m plus Danilo for the starting right-back at Juventus- who was one of the best in the world last season, and stood out for two seasons before that- and we don't plan on starting him often. I think we want him for our starting XI this year.

I can't agree that we're spending £30m plus Danilo for the starting right-back at Juventus- who was one of the best in the world last season, and stood out for two seasons before that- and we don't plan on starting him often. I think we want him for our starting XI this year.

You could make the same argument for us buying Mahrez for a record fee at time when Sterling and Bernardo are already there. It's all about adding quality and competition.

Walker has been an integral part of all the trophies we've won in the last 2 years playing in one of the most demanding positions in Pep's side. If he makes a mistake it's really obvious because it's a high risk of letting someone through on goal. I should imagine that Cancelo will provide more chances for our forwards due to his better use of the ball and that's why Pep wants him.

I think some people are missing the point.

Yes, Walker is one of the fastest fullbacks in the world. He's also below what we need in almost every other area. He's weak in possession, offers very little going forward, makes too many errors and gives the ball away trying simple passes regularly. I'd rather have a very fast and well rounded right-back than an extremely fast but average one.

Also I don't know where the idea that Cancelo is slow is coming from- he's easily quicker than Mendy, Zinchenko and Danilo

With all those weaknesses, Walker must be the biggest blag artist on the planet.

Cancelo weak defensively? Better at passing/posession than Kyle Walher? Give over he played 25 league games for Juventus. At an average of 7.20 from who Scored stats. Kyle didn't have a great season last term but got 6.96 and had a pass completion stat of 90% 4% better than Cancelo.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/128967/Show/João-Cancelo
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69778/Show/Kyle-Walker
Personally I think both will complement each other in a position (full back) that requires more physical exertion than any other. Cancelo can also play left back and could play on the right wing or left/right midfield. A very versatile player and a great buy.

Last edited:
I don't know how the stats rate but from the eye test, Cancelo's skill set is different from Walker's. Walker is more physical, speedier, can track back better. Cancelo seems more assured in possession, seems to be a better dribbler, crosser and who offers a different dynamic in attack. If Pep wants to tinker with 3 at the back again, Cancelo is a perfect candidate to play in that role. At Juve and before that, at Inter, Cancelo showed elite dynamism in attack.

If we do get Cancelo, both he and Walker will get ample playing time because they offer a different skill set to the team.

Cancelo weak defensively? Better at passing/posession than Kyle Walher? Give over he played 25 league games for Juventus. At an average of 7.20 from who Scored stats. Kyle didn't have a great season last term but got 6.96 and had a pass completion stat of 90% 4% better than Cancelo.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/128967/Show/João-Cancelo
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69778/Show/Kyle-Walker
Personally I think both will complement each other in a position (full back) that requires more physical exertion than any other. Cancelo can also play left back and could play on the right wing or left/right midfield. A very versatile player and a great buy.
Can I just remind some posters about that bit....

I don't know how the stats rate but from the eye test, Cancelo's skill set is different from Walker's. Walker is more physical, speedier, can track back better. Cancelo seems more assured in possession, seems to be a better dribbler, crosser and who offers a different dynamic in attack. If Pep wants to tinker with 3 at the back again, Cancelo is a perfect candidate to play in that role. At Juve and before that, at Inter, Cancelo showed elite dynamism in attack.

If we do get Cancelo, both he and Walker will get ample playing time because they offer a different skill set to the team.

I also think there's something to be said for Walker at Centre back on some occasions given we've now got limited backup.

With all those weaknesses, Walker must be the biggest blag artist on the planet.

What Walker has that sets him apart is pace and physicality.

I know that sounds like an insult, but that's what he's got which makes him crucial to how we play and almost undroppable. We can leave Walker +1 other at the back on the halfway line or higher, and never worry about balls in behind or over the top.

If you cast your mind back to Pep's first season, we got fucked on the break so many times. We'd be dominating a game completely, and then a long ball over the top or 1 decent pass in behind and we'd be in serious trouble. Bringing Walker in and killing that immediately was worth about 10 points a season over Zabaleta/Sagna/Navas.

Running towards his own goal in space, I don't think there's a better defender out there, he's brilliant at getting between the ball and the forward, or just knocking them off the ball and mopping up.

The rest of his game is good enough but nothing special. He's rarely a threat going forwards and he's the weakest on the ball in the team, his defending in the box is usually decent but a bit nervy and Lineker wasn't a million miles off when he said he couldn't cross.

It doesn't really matter though, he's undroppable because of the way he allows us to play so high up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.