Joao Cancelo

Discussion in 'Transfer forum' started by Mezrah, 1 Jun 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarsLlama

MarsLlama

I can't agree that we're spending £30m plus Danilo for the starting right-back at Juventus- who was one of the best in the world last season, and stood out for two seasons before that- and we don't plan on starting him often. I think we want him for our starting XI this year.

2. catalyst

catalyst

You could make the same argument for us buying Mahrez for a record fee at time when Sterling and Bernardo are already there. It's all about adding quality and competition.

Coatigan likes this.
  3. maurizio

maurizio

Walker has been an integral part of all the trophies we've won in the last 2 years playing in one of the most demanding positions in Pep's side. If he makes a mistake it's really obvious because it's a high risk of letting someone through on goal. I should imagine that Cancelo will provide more chances for our forwards due to his better use of the ball and that's why Pep wants him.

4. Stoned Rose

Stoned Rose

With all those weaknesses, Walker must be the biggest blag artist on the planet.

Coatigan likes this.
  5. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Cancelo weak defensively? Better at passing/posession than Kyle Walher? Give over he played 25 league games for Juventus. At an average of 7.20 from who Scored stats. Kyle didn't have a great season last term but got 6.96 and had a pass completion stat of 90% 4% better than Cancelo.
    https://www.whoscored.com/Players/128967/Show/João-Cancelo
    https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69778/Show/Kyle-Walker
    Personally I think both will complement each other in a position (full back) that requires more physical exertion than any other. Cancelo can also play left back and could play on the right wing or left/right midfield. A very versatile player and a great buy.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2019
  6. MCFCFanTX

MCFCFanTX

I don't know how the stats rate but from the eye test, Cancelo's skill set is different from Walker's. Walker is more physical, speedier, can track back better. Cancelo seems more assured in possession, seems to be a better dribbler, crosser and who offers a different dynamic in attack. If Pep wants to tinker with 3 at the back again, Cancelo is a perfect candidate to play in that role. At Juve and before that, at Inter, Cancelo showed elite dynamism in attack.

If we do get Cancelo, both he and Walker will get ample playing time because they offer a different skill set to the team.

7. George Hannah

George Hannah

Can I just remind some posters about that bit....

Scottish Cityzen likes this.
  8. Dobsy

Dobsy

I also think there's something to be said for Walker at Centre back on some occasions given we've now got limited backup.

9. domalino

domalino

What Walker has that sets him apart is pace and physicality.

I know that sounds like an insult, but that's what he's got which makes him crucial to how we play and almost undroppable. We can leave Walker +1 other at the back on the halfway line or higher, and never worry about balls in behind or over the top.

If you cast your mind back to Pep's first season, we got fucked on the break so many times. We'd be dominating a game completely, and then a long ball over the top or 1 decent pass in behind and we'd be in serious trouble. Bringing Walker in and killing that immediately was worth about 10 points a season over Zabaleta/Sagna/Navas.

Running towards his own goal in space, I don't think there's a better defender out there, he's brilliant at getting between the ball and the forward, or just knocking them off the ball and mopping up.

The rest of his game is good enough but nothing special. He's rarely a threat going forwards and he's the weakest on the ball in the team, his defending in the box is usually decent but a bit nervy and Lineker wasn't a million miles off when he said he couldn't cross.

It doesn't really matter though, he's undroppable because of the way he allows us to play so high up.

10. Kirkiep

Kirkiep

To be fair,Walker's pass completion rate probably improved under Pep as will Cancelo's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.