Joao Neves

We shipped out Cole Palmer and Riyad Mahrez and replaced them with Kalvin Phillips, Matheus Nunes, and Kovacic. Our midfield transfers the last two years have been completely awful - it's just been covered up by the brilliance of guys like Rodri, Foden, and Bernardo.
We've bought Phillips,Nunes & Kova but really the only midfielders we've lost in that period were Fernandinho who Phillips replaced and Gundo.
Palmer and Mahrez were more forward wide players replaced by Doku and Bobb.
Mind last really successful midfielder we bought was Rodri and he wasn't initially a roaring success.
Kova has been decent, personally I think the jury is still out on Nunes. I'm certainly more optimistic on him than I ever was on Phillips who was very clearly not going to work by the stage Nunes is at.

He isn’t far better than Kovacic in a number 8 role. I think Kova is a good squad player but we need more attacking creativity from the player alongside Rodri, Kimmich is not that guy.

Kimmich reminds me a lot of a slightly more nimble John Stones in the middle of the park. I understand what you’re saying re kimmich but on his day (and to be fair his best days do seem to be behind him as he’s been hit hard by injuries) he’s exactly what we need next to Rodri for the big games.

OMG. This boy is a monster. I weep. I am sorry Bruno G, but Neves is the truth!
In fairness, how many players have Benfica produced lately that are supposed to be monsters but flopped? Not saying this is the case necessarily with Neves, but I would be cautious of getting rinsed by Benfica. The Portuguese league has a tendency to make players look better than they really are.

In fairness, how many players have Benfica produced lately that are supposed to be monsters but flopped? Not saying this is the case necessarily with Neves, but I would be cautious of getting rinsed by Benfica. The Portuguese league has a tendency to make players look better than they really are.
dias
ederson
bernardo

may all disagree with you

He isn’t far better than Kovacic in a number 8 role. I think Kova is a good squad player but we need more attacking creativity from the player alongside Rodri, Kimmich is not that guy.
We need to buy players for starting 11 who are improvement on current starting 11, no more second rate purchases who were never going to improve the first team like Philipps, Kovacic and Nunes

In fairness, how many players have Benfica produced lately that are supposed to be monsters but flopped?
True, thats a good point and I have addressed it in my previous posts. Benfica has overpriced their players, in hindsight they have been overpriced because, more times than not lately, their batch has underwhelmed. With a few exceptions. Now, does that mean we do not go for what we are seeing and what our scouts are seeing, because of their underwhelming past batch of players?

Not saying this is the case necessarily with Neves, but I would be cautious of getting rinsed by Benfica. The Portuguese league has a tendency to make players look better than they really are.
Do we only target what, premier league proven players? Philips was a good lad at Leeds, he was even nicknamed "Yorkshire Pirlo", which I still can not wrap my head around. He did very well in the EUROs, he did well for Leeds and yet, we can not wait to offload.

Is Grealish worth the £100M price tag? I do not see it and I do not think so. Whether people use the TREBLE as an excuse to justify it. He is not a £100M player, never was and never will be. Obviously the club thought he was, hence he is our player.

Is Bruno worth the £100M? Based on what I am seeing at Newcastle, then No!
Would Bruno fit our system better than Neves, because his prem experienced? I do not know. He might kill it for Newcastle and KILL IT more for us and become a destroyer or he might flop. We are yet to see!
If he becomes a destroyer for us, and our midfield is no longer ran through and water tight, would the £100M price tag been justified? Yes!!!

Do I prefer Neves over Bruno? Yes.
Do I rate Bruno? Definitely Yes. He has that dog in him, which we lack. Pairing him with Rodri excites me. Our midfield wont be ran through!

Nontheless, I get your point, its a valid and a normal concern. £100M is a lot of money to burn, if the player does not translate well!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.