Joe Hart (joined Torino on season long loan - Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your totally missing the point of the discussion. You seem to be comparing them in a traditional goalkeeping role, and in that context, everyone would agree Joe is better. We have moved on, fans have to do the same
From what I've read over the two goalkeeping threads that seems to be the case with the majority of people up in arms at the thought of Hart being dropped. Of course Hart is the better keeper. The question is he the better fit? On preseason evidence you'd have to say no. The problem we have is Cabbalero isn't the answer either. If we are going down Peps usual route there can be no argument that we need another keeper before the window closes.

Who would you suggest is brought in that will be happy to get splinters who is better than Willy?
Well I have no idea but that's irrelevant really, I am not a scout who has the time and access to watch goal keepers from all over Europe or the world. Plus I don't know exactly what pep is looking for in a keeper anyway and I don't claim to be good enough at spotting players anyway. But I do know enough to see that Willy is not the answer to any of this. Barely any better with his feet than Joe and much worse at keeping goal. Bottom line, if Pep is fairly unconvinced by Joe (and it seems obvious rightly or wrongly that he isn't at all convinced) then he needs to get someone better in than Willy as an alternative. He wouldn't be "getting splinters" for long anyway would he, after all Joe can't kick can he?

From what I've read over the two goalkeeping threads that seems to be the case with the majority of people up in arms at the thought of Hart being dropped. Of course Hart is the better keeper. The question is he the better fit? On preseason evidence you'd have to say no. The problem we have is Cabbalero isn't the answer either. If we are going down Peps usual route there can be no argument that we need another keeper before the window closes.

Pep isn't stupid and if he has two keepers who are struggling with his style, he would (you would think, select the better keeper). Therefore, if he picks Willy today, that tells me that there is something more than footballing ability regarding Joe as to why he might be on his way.

Much as I love Joe for all he has done for us and think he is a consistently top notch and reliable keeper, the writing is on the wall.

If you have been at the games then you must have seen with your own eyes what the problem is (you don't get the same view from the telly!)

He is painfully slow in deciding what to do with the ball when it is played back to him, or when he has to take a goal kick.

So many times last season I watched the centre-backs split ready for a short goal kick only for Joe to deliberate over what to do and get in position to take a run up by which time the centre-backs had been closed down. So then we wait for them and the rest of the team to get down the pitch for the long hoof, from which we almost invariably lost the header from (unless Bony was playing). We would moan and boo and whistle at the oppo goalies wasting time and but Joe would take just as long with all these 'false starts'. He could have just booted it down the pitch immediately if that had been the plan rather than going through the charade every time, because that was what ended up happening. However, the plan was obviously not to do that and to pass it out short and play from the back except that Joe couldn't get his act together over the whole of last season to execute this basic goalkeeping set-piece.

Exactly the same when he had the ball in his hands after an opposition attack and Yaya dropped back between the centre-backs to receive it, but Joe was busy hugging the ball rather than being ready to release it at the point he was free.

We wanted Pep, we got Pep and now we have to support his decisions and the consequences of playing the way he wants to.
I did wonder how long it would be before we had the first experts on here doubting Pep's choices and thinking that they know better than the man who has won dozens of trophies.

If you want Joe to play then we need to keep and play Bony as you need him to win the ball from Joe's long kicks...so if you keep Bony then you need to drop/sell Aguero as he and Bony can't play together.

Well I have no idea but that's irrelevant really, I am not a scout who has the time and access to watch goal keepers from all over Europe or the world. Plus I don't know exactly what pep is looking for in a keeper anyway and I don't claim to be good enough at spotting players anyway. But I do know enough to see that Willy is not the answer to any of this. Barely any better with his feet than Joe and much worse at keeping goal. Bottom line, if Pep is fairly unconvinced by Joe (and it seems obvious rightly or wrongly that he isn't at all convinced) then he needs to get someone better in than Willy as an alternative. He wouldn't be "getting splinters" for long anyway would he, after all Joe can't kick can he?

No one would argue that Willy is the answer, but what he must have shown (and we dont know he is starting btw) is that he is adapting better than Joe at implementing Pep's style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.