Joe Hart to retire at the end of 2023-24 season

Hart was a superb goalkeeper. I was disappointed when he went out on loan to Birmingham for Shay Given as I was concerned he'd never come back. He was excellent at Birmingham and should have been England's goalkeeper instead of Rob Green at the 2010 World Cup. Always remember the Barcelona game where Messi couldn't seem to comprehend how hard it was to score past him.

Unfortunately, as is always the case, after a poor Euros by his standards that is what he is remembered for. De Gea was far worse for Spain at that tournament by the way, but the British press understandably focused on Joe. Don't think Pep handled him too well and replacing him with Bravo (who was fucking awful) seemed to completely shatter his confidence and it never really recovered.

Love Joe and will always be a legend in my eyes. Wish him all the best.

Last edited:
Hart was a superb goalkeeper. I was disappointed when he went out on loan to Birmingham for Shay Given as I was concerned he'd never come back. He was excellent at Birmingham and should have been England's goalkeeper instead of Rob Green at the 2010 World Cup. Always remember the Barcelona game where Messi couldn't seem to comprehend how hard it was to score past him.

Unfortunately, as is always is the case, after a poor Euros by his standards that is what he is remembered for. De Gea was far worse for Spain at that tournament by the way, but the British press understandably focused on Joe. Don't think Pep handled him too well and replacing him with Bravo (who was fucking awful) seemed to completely shatter his confidence and it never really recovered.

Love Joe and will always be a legend in my eyes. Wish him all the best.
Tbf to Pep, when we were supposed to be practising our new play it short from the back tactic, Joe inexplicably kicked every ball long. Pep was not amused.
Joe developed a weakness on his left side which was his downfall. So glad he found his form again in Scotland for he was a very good keeper.
Despite falling out with Pep, Joe has never slagged City off since he left.

Tbf to Pep, when we were supposed to be practising our new play it short from the back tactic, Joe inexplicably kicked every ball long. Pep was not amused.
Joe developed a weakness on his left side which was his downfall. So glad he found his form again in Scotland for he was a very good keeper.
Despite falling out with Pep, Joe has never slagged City off since he left.

Certainly Joe wasn't suited to playing it out from the back and may never have been. He was a first class shot stopper though, good at one on ones and I was always confident when he came for crosses and corners. Same couldn't be said about Bravo- who didn't do anything well. Pep soon saw this too and realised the Premier League was a completely different ball game to La Liga where in reality Bravo had fuck all to do.

I'd rather he stuck with Joe for the full season than have Bravo in goal and at least afforded him a real opportunity to try and develop. I think he'd more than earnt that. Off the back of the Euros and with his confidence hit a bit I imagine the last thing he'd have wanted to do was start playing out from the back and was more concerned in building his confidence back up.

Joe's class and kept his thoughts to himself in order not to rock the boat. When Pep eventually leaves we may hear a bit more about what went on.

Certainly Joe wasn't suited to playing it out from the back and may never have been. He was a first class shot stopper though, good at one on ones and I was always confident when he came for crosses and corners. Same couldn't be said about Bravo- who didn't do anything well. Pep soon saw this too and realised the Premier League was a completely different ball game to La Liga where in reality Bravo had fuck all to do.

I'd rather he stuck with Joe for the full season than have Bravo in goal and at least afforded him a real opportunity to try and develop. I think he'd more than earnt that. Off the back of the Euros and with his confidence hit a bit I imagine the last thing he'd have wanted to do was start playing out from the back and was more concerned in building his confidence back up.

Joe's class and kept his thoughts to himself in order not to rock the boat. When Pep eventually leaves we may hear a bit more about what went on.
He’s spoken about it before in interviews, nothing scathing but seemed pretty honest on how how he felt at the time

Edit: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/man-city-joe-hart-guardiola-26659039.amp

Sadly Joe's career stalled until he signed with Celtic.
Pep made the right decision with Joe.

Joe was the best I’ve ever seen at one on ones; he won many a lost cause that way.

I highly doubt Guardiola would have wanted him even if he was still in his prime.

But his downward spiral was already in full swing by then. Remember Pellegrini felt the need to drop him for several games during his time.

Love Joe. Always will. But mystifying how he peaked so young by goalkeeping standards and could never get even close to that form again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.