Joe Mercer Biography By Gary James

Gary, is the April release date still on?

Where can I get it apart from the publishers websites?

How much will it be in the shops?

Very much looking forward to this book, can't wait to pick it up. Any chance that the club would put it in their shop or on their site?

Damocles said:
Gary, is the April release date still on?

Where can I get it apart from the publishers websites?

How much will it be in the shops?

Very much looking forward to this book, can't wait to pick it up. Any chance that the club would put it in their shop or on their site?

April is still on. It'll be late April. Hopefully it'll tie in with the anniversary of the 1970 ECWC success.

When it's published it will be on sale in most bookshops. Waterstones are usually very supportive.

I am certain City will have some in the City Store, though they've not ordered any yet (that's understandable, they haven't seen it yet).

It can be ordered now via Amazon, but if you do want to get it at time of publication order it now from the publishers - there's a saving of £4.95 off the RRP and I doubt even Amazon will match that discount when it comes out. It's full price will be £19.95 (and it's now available to order for £15). It will also be posted out before it appears in the shops and I'll even sign it!

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I haven't seen it. A couple of weeks ago, Gary gave an interview on Joe Mercer to this Everton fan podcast: http://podcasts.footballfancast.com/player/?p=5230&e=296919.

Obviously, given the focus of that site, it centres mostly on his time at and relationship with Everton, but there's some discussion of his time at City too. The guy starts his intro to Gary's interview around 27:10 and it finishes just before the end of the podcast, so runs for approximately 26 minutes. For anyone interested in Joe's whole life and not just the City bit, I'd recommend it as a little taster ahead of the book coming out.

Dyed Petya said:
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I haven't seen it. A couple of weeks ago, Gary gave an interview on Joe Mercer to this Everton fan podcast: http://podcasts.footballfancast.com/player/?p=5230&e=296919.

Obviously, given the focus of that site, it centres mostly on his time at and relationship with Everton, but there's some discussion of his time at City too. The guy starts his intro to Gary's interview around 27:10 and it finishes just before the end of the podcast, so runs for approximately 26 minutes. For anyone interested in Joe's whole life and not just the City bit, I'd recommend it as a little taster ahead of the book coming out.

Thanks. There's also a very long interview with me on EPL Talk: http://www.epltalk.com/interview-with-gary-james-football-historian-and-author/13357. If you've got a hour to spare....

Gary James said:
Thanks. There's also a very long interview with me on EPL Talk: http://www.epltalk.com/interview-with-gary-james-football-historian-and-author/13357. If you've got a hour to spare....

I personally listened to that one sometime before Xmas, but would recommend it without hesitation to anyone who hasn't heard it and is interested in their City history and Manchester football history generally.

Incidentally, the part of the interview on the Everton site where you talk about how Joe was treated when leaving City and then afterwards through the 1980s when he was ignored by the club really does show up the people in the City boardroom for what they were. No news there, of course, but I'm curious to know what you think of Malcolm's role. (Obviously it will be covered in the book, so I'm not asking for much detail). There have been a couple of 'faction' Damned United-style books about the era of the break up of the partnership recently, which I haven't read - but the title of Colin Shindler's certainly suggests that his charts an acrimonious parting. I think that's the impression most people seem to have had down the years.

Someone posted recently that interview with Joe not that long before his death in which, I noted with interest, he says he never had a cross word with Mal and talks fondly about him. Presumably, then, there was no lasting resentment on Joe's side. Was that because he'd put any acrimony against Allison behind him by that stage, or because it was never realy there? And could Malcolm have done more to stop the board treating Joe as they did?

Incidentally, Shankly won six major trophies in his career, including one UEFA Cup, plus one promotion. Joe had five if you include the League Cup at Villa and the one promotion, so I reckon he can definitely be spoken of in the same breath. Shankly is so important at Liverpool because he set them up for an era in which they prospered to an even greater degree than under him - but had he not been there first, the later era would never have been possible. With us, things obviously took a different turn, but it should really be something along similar lines.

Towards the end of the seventies, we were attracting comfortably the third biggest gates in the country behind United and Liverpool, had a stadium regularly chosen above Old Trafford for FA Cup semi finals, one of the best squads in the country and had a successful youth policy too. We'd never have been there without the achievements of Joe and Malcolm, who took a club on its uppers and turned it round completely. It still infuriates me to this day when I think of the inane self-destruction through which we simply pissed that away.

Incidentally - to put Joe's four major trophies at City in perspective. When we won the League Cup in 1976, it was our ninth, almost half of them gained on Joe's watch. Up to the summer of 1976, in each club's entire history, Spurs and Everton had won ten, United eleven and Liverpool thirteen. Villa had four (one under Mercer) since the end of WW1 and one of those had been in 1920.

In other words, Mercer's period of management put us on a level where for trophies, we were more or less on a par with even the biggest clubs. It's what happened in the eighties and since that allows these goons to come on here and claim we have no history. But then the fact that a man, in Peter Swales, who played a major factor in the disgraceful shoddiness of Mercer's departure should be the man who comprehensively managed to damage the great man's legacy is perhaps unsurprising.

Gary James said:
BTH - I guess I do owe you a pint. If I ever get paid any royalties from Empire and At Heart (neither of which have ever paid me a penny for the books I wrote for them!) then I'll get you a pint.

Gary, how can this happen? How can publishers pay you jack s**t for your books? Can you not get legal?

Phuk Tifano said:
Gary James said:
BTH - I guess I do owe you a pint. If I ever get paid any royalties from Empire and At Heart (neither of which have ever paid me a penny for the books I wrote for them!) then I'll get you a pint.

Gary, how can this happen? How can publishers pay you jack s**t for your books? Can you not get legal?

I second that! How did that happen?
And i'd love there to be an updated edition of "Manchester the greatest city" one day too :) I never used to realise how limited a print run many sports books are, how many of the greatest city were done? And your Maine Road book? I didn't realise your original Joe biog was so short a run (i have one of the original hardbacks so never twigged they were rare!). I have that maine men to banana citizens book of yours from way back too (cos i'm old!)

Btw Gary.. you won't realise it but you know me! ;) I'm shy, as you may remember (if you remember me?!), so i don't say my name on here... (not that i get on here much anyway)
But my photography shown on this page has my initials <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=130853&p=2906036#p2906036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=130853&p=2906036#p2906036</a> though pictures of Maine Road were what you knew me for..
As Lloyd Grossman used to say "all the clues are there"!!!

Good luck with your new book Gary, take care. (And thanks again for the book in Dec, i appreciate it)

Didn't Bill Shankley once say that Joe Mercer was the best player in the world when he played for Arsenal and captained England!?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.