Joe Royle or Keggy Keegan?

Firthy

Who was more successfull?

Big Joe brought us back from the bring and back to the bigtime but left after relegation.
Keggy took us up and helped establish us in the Premiership (in record breaking style), despite nearly bankrupting the club in the process.

Who did a better job? Just wondered which one was remembered best by other Blues? Id say Big Joe.

KK didn't bankrupt us. The club just didn't have any money in the first place! Totally different managers whose management style reflected their own careers to a certain extent. Royle invoked his 'dogs of war' attitude to the club and made us a tougher team to beat and I'll always love him for bringing the Goat to City and taking us to Wembley. KK gave us Benarbia and more flair and the best football I've seen City play in my lifetime. I couldn't possibly decide between them.

inthenextlife said:
KK didn't bankrupt us. The club just didn't have any money in the first place! Totally different managers whose management style reflected their own careers to a certain extent. Royle invoked his 'dogs of war' attitude to the club and made us a tougher team to beat and I'll always love him for bringing the Goat to City and taking us to Wembley. KK gave us Benarbia and more flair and the best football I've seen City play in my lifetime. I couldn't possibly decide between them.

Couldnt agree more,my thoughts exactly covered here

KK by an absolute mile.

Royle relegated us twice. His one year in the third division, the best he could get us was to the play-offs, and his first year in the Premiership we slid out embarrassingly.

One good season when we got promoted does not make him a better manager than Keegan... who also got us promoted (but with a far more entertaining style) and he kept us in the Premiership for a couple of seasons quite easily.

So KK for me is a no-brainer.

And where does this nonsense come that he almost bankrupted us? All he did was spend the money we generated in the Premiership.

Shame Keggy didnt get a chance to manage Kinky eh? Imagine that midfield!
Kinky, Ali B and Berkovic!!! Big Jamie Pollock doing the tackling for 'em.

Firthy said:
Shame Keggy didnt get a chance to manage Kinky eh? Imagine that midfield!
Kinky, Ali B and Berkovic!!! Big Jamie Pollock doing the tackling for 'em.

Yeah, Jamie Pollock... that signing speaks volumes about the quality of the two managers!

Soulboy said:
KK by an absolute mile.

Royle relegated us twice. His one year in the third division, the best he could get us was to the play-offs, and his first year in the Premiership we slid out embarrassingly.

One good season when we got promoted does not make him a better manager than Keegan... who also got us promoted (but with a far more entertaining style) and he kept us in the Premiership for a couple of seasons quite easily.

So KK for me is a no-brainer.

And where does this nonsense come that he almost bankrupted us? All he did was spend the money we generated in the Premiership.
If he didnt leave the club skint then why didnt Pearce have any money to spend after him? He signed alot of ageing players on big contracts that left the club struggling didnt he? I could be wrong?

Two ways to look at Royle. When he joined we were in the second division and when he left we were.

However he masterminded that wonderful double promotion which it could be argued was the springboard for everything we are now.

Keegan blew it with some awful signings, which undid the great work he did in his first 2 years.

Royle took over a club that was on its arse. There were disputes in the boardroom, people falling out left right and centre and a huge squad full of rubbish. Just about the worst condition a club could be in when you take over. And he helped turn us round, put some pride back into the fans and team and saw us get back to the top flight (abeit we were relegated again).

Keegan took over a team that had performed poorly the previous year but the club was in a much happier place and now among the favourites for promotion. He spent a lot of money on wages and signings to get us back up and was rewarded with great football. Then crucially he kept us up before losing the plot and spending obscene amounts on long contracts for past it players. Everything got stale and he eventually left us.

For me, Royle had the harder job and though we were relegated twice he was the one that really put the pride back into Manchester City. Keegan was the perfect man to give us the swagger on top of the pride. I'd choose Royle for laying the foundations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.