Joe Royle or Keggy Keegan?

Soulboy said:
Firthy said:
Harsh to accredit the first relegation to Royle. We were a sinking ship long before he got there.

Would have been interesting to see Royle or even Pearce get the financial backing Keggy got (i know Samaras points to a Pearce failure but still...).
Then again, Keggy wouldnt go near any club without millions to spend/waste would he (ask Mike Ashley)?

Big Joe put abit of pride back into the Club.

Harsh to blame Royle for the first relegation?

He took over in the December with half a season still to go... spent a relative small fortune on bringing new blood into the team... all he had to do was make up about 3 points on the teams above us... and failed miserably.

Dropped Kinkladze and we got worse!

In the third division, he had the most expensive squad, the best players, had half a season to prepare them... and we scrambled into the fucking play-offs after being in the bottom half of the table on Boxing Day.

While we all loved the time we had in the third division... the football was absolute shite. Never forget that.

Great following season. Won't deny that. But still not a patch on Keegan's promotion season.
he took over with 2 and half months left with a team that had been failing and wasnt getting any better. there is no way in hell he can be blamed for the relegation!!

davymcfc said:
Soulboy said:

He took over in the December with half a season still to go... spent a relative small fortune on bringing new blood into the team... all he had to do was make up about 3 points on the teams above us... and failed miserably.

In the third division, he had the most expensive squad, the best players, had half a season to prepare them... and we scrambled into the fucking play-offs after being in the bottom half of the table on Boxing Day.

While we all loved the time we had in the third division... the football was absolute shite. Never forget that.

Great following season. Won't deny that. But still not a patch on Keegan's promotion season.
he took over with 2 and half months left with a team that had been failing and wasnt getting any better. there is no way in hell he can be blamed for the relegation!!

I think he is talking about our relegation from the Premier League the second time not when we went into League One.

Royle - steadied the ship. Inspirational signings (Morrison & Cooke) Won THE most important game in our history. Back to back promotions, but had a crap season back in the top flight. Signing Weah & not playing him!

Keegan - gave us our belief back. Utterly contagious enthusiasm & some inspirational football. The number of times we went down to 10 men & just carried on - no subs - & won 4-1!! Blew it at the end with abysmal signings & lost us David Bernstein.

Both immense in their own ways, both flawed.

but KK for me - Spurs away in the cup - down to 10 men, just equalised at the death & he's screaming at the players to push on for the winner. Sums KK up.

Soulboy said:
Firthy said:
Harsh to accredit the first relegation to Royle. We were a sinking ship long before he got there.

Would have been interesting to see Royle or even Pearce get the financial backing Keggy got (i know Samaras points to a Pearce failure but still...).
Then again, Keggy wouldnt go near any club without millions to spend/waste would he (ask Mike Ashley)?

Big Joe put abit of pride back into the Club.

Pretty sure it was later than December but i take your point.
Terry Cooke and Peter Beardsley werent small fortunes... Shaun Goater wasnt either.
Keggy signed a few shockers aswell. What Keggy spent/wasted on Matias Vuoso wasnt far off Royle's net spend for his entire reign.

Firthy said:
Soulboy said:

Terry Cooke and Peter Beardsley werent small fortunes... Shaun Goater wasnt either.
Keggy signed a few shockers aswell. What Keggy spent/wasted on Matias Vuoso wasnt far off Royle's net spend for his entire reign.

Both were loan deals with Terry Cooke signing permanently (our only direct signing from the rags)

Firthy said:
Soulboy said:

To be fair mate, the question was who was the better manager... I thought Keegan, you think Royle.

No biggie. It's all about opinions.

Firthy said:
Just looking through Pearce's signings. Can anybody remember Geert De Vlieger? Me neither.

Unfortunate signing because he sustained an Achilles injury in pre-season against Wolves and never played for us again.

Good knowledge.
I though Trabelsi was another decent Pearce signing who didnt really get going thanks to injury. I could be on my own with that one like...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.