Joe Royle or Keggy Keegan?

lets have this right, royle had nowhere near the amount of money to spend as keegan did, which is why we werent able to stay up that season. we still gave it a really good go. royle did things with the clubs well being very much in mind while he was here. he brought the goat to city and brought a fantastic team spirit. the one problem he had is that he couldnt handle big egos (kinky, weah, wanchope).

keegan on the other hand played much more attacking football and it was amazing to watch. we had one really good season in the premiership and if he would have spent well we could have kicked on and become a force but instead he brought in old has beens with no pace. when keegan left us he left us over 60 million in debt with an old team in bad form.

royle helped us get back to where we are so for me its royle everytime.

I was furious when we sacked Joe Royle, he steadied a ship that seemed to sinking faster than a lead ship, yeah ok we didnt exactly set Division two as it was back then on fire, but we did eventually get promoted at the first attempt, something some of the other big clubs who have graced that level failed to do. Big Joe for me everytime. I wonder how we would have done if he had the money Keegan spunked on the likes of Vuoso, Negoiua, Mettomo, Fowler and Danny fckin Mills.

I will always think well of Joe Royle, as a player and a manager he did a fine job at City.
I respect Keegan but he doesn't mean the same to me

Joe Royle for me. The promotion under Keegan was possibly the best football I have ever seen City play but then the promotion to the Prem under Royle is probably actually my favourite ever season as it always felt like it was against the odds. But then I admit that I find it difficult to judge Keegan objectively. I was so pissed off with so much that he did from the falling out with Berkovic onwards that I find it difficult to even give him credit for the two excellent seasons he had previously.

While under KK it was the attacking football I've ever witnessed at City, if we hadn't got promoted from the 3rd when we did we would be A Coventry City right now. That would have been it. As a result the momentum propelled us into the Prem again and although we didn't stay there it gave us the umpf to appeal to the likes of KK to take us forward again, which lead intime to the takeover.

I know another manager could have got us promoted that year but it was still a tough job what with thousands of dispondant fans on your back and every team trying to beat the once great MCFC and rub it in.
JR was the right man at the right time. I love it when he's on TV now, I feel like saying to him that a lot of what we are now is down to him and Willie Donachie.

If there needs to be 3 statues of later day City Saints put up at Eastlands it should be of Royal, Dickov and Weaver, for nothing else but THAT day.

I still get shivers. We could be NOTHING right now.

Nothing.

Joe put us on a stable footing under difficult circumstances and took us to the premiership and when we got relegated under him I actually was shocked when we sacked him. Under Keegan that first season in the championship was one best and entertaining season I can remember

Soulboy said:
KK by an absolute mile.

Royle relegated us twice. His one year in the third division, the best he could get us was to the play-offs, and his first year in the Premiership we slid out embarrassingly.

One good season when we got promoted does not make him a better manager than Keegan... who also got us promoted (but with a far more entertaining style) and he kept us in the Premiership for a couple of seasons quite easily.

So KK for me is a no-brainer.

And where does this nonsense come that he almost bankrupted us? All he did was spend the money we generated in the Premiership.

had you not backed your answer up, i'd have completely disagreed with you.
it is posts like this that keep me coming back to bluemoon. my head is all over now while i try to decide between royle and keggy, when before your post, i would have said 100% royle.

Harsh to accredit the first relegation to Royle. We were a sinking ship long before he got there.

Would have been interesting to see Royle or even Pearce get the financial backing Keggy got (i know Samaras points to a Pearce failure but still...).
Then again, Keggy wouldnt go near any club without millions to spend/waste would he (ask Mike Ashley)?

Big Joe put abit of pride back into the Club.

Firthy said:
Harsh to accredit the first relegation to Royle. We were a sinking ship long before he got there.

Would have been interesting to see Royle or even Pearce get the financial backing Keggy got (i know Samaras points to a Pearce failure but still...).
Then again, Keggy wouldnt go near any club without millions to spend/waste would he (ask Mike Ashley)?

Big Joe put abit of pride back into the Club.

Harsh to blame Royle for the first relegation?

He took over in the December with half a season still to go... spent a relative small fortune on bringing new blood into the team... all he had to do was make up about 3 points on the teams above us... and failed miserably.

Dropped Kinkladze and we got worse!

In the third division, he had the most expensive squad, the best players, had half a season to prepare them... and we scrambled into the fucking play-offs after being in the bottom half of the table on Boxing Day.

While we all loved the time we had in the third division... the football was absolute shite. Never forget that.

Great following season. Won't deny that. But still not a patch on Keegan's promotion season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.