Joey Barton calling Ian Cheeseman on GMR, 06/07

Ah, those were the days! I suppose it was nice that Barton "cared", but it was a bit rich, him calling others shit. The likes of Zidane weren't having nightmares about the possibility of facing Barton one day, were they?
Not really he was probably our best player at the time. Most of his team-mates were much weaker players and workers than Barton.

Barton was a fucking nutjob with a violent streak and an inflated ego but he was a decent footballer (maybe not by our standards today but certainly of the time). He would have had more than the solitary cap for England if he wasn't such a loose cannon.

He was probably a league average midfielder (possibly even slightly above average) from the mid 2000s to the early 2010s.

Jeez I remember this. I was at that Watford game and it was just some abysmal football. Didn’t he say something along the lines of if we are getting players from the Belgian league we are in trouble.

Weirdly I actually enjoyed the whole match day experience a lot more back then.

Not really he was probably our best player at the time. Most of his team-mates were much weaker players and workers than Barton.

Barton was a fucking nutjob with a violent streak and an inflated ego but he was a decent footballer (maybe not by our standards today but certainly of the time). He would have had more than the solitary cap for England if he wasn't such a loose cannon.

He was probably a league average midfielder (possibly even slightly above average) from the mid 2000s to the early 2010s.
But being the best of that bunch doesn't make you a decent player, surely? Or am I being harsh?

Not judging him by today's standards, by the way. I'm not THAT cruel,

Jeez I remember this. I was at that Watford game and it was just some abysmal football. Didn’t he say something along the lines of if we are getting players from the Belgian league we are in trouble.

Weirdly I actually enjoyed the whole match day experience a lot more back then.
That Watford game was awful. We scored due to a complete balls up in their defence yet couldn't really create against a relegated side. They equalised and came close to winning at the end.

But being the best of that bunch doesn't make you a decent player, surely? Or am I being harsh?

Not judging him by today's standards, by the way. I'm not THAT cruel,
I mean, it doesn't but he happens to be. Burnley fans swear he was a great player. I thought he did a decent job at Newcastle and QPR, at least when he wasn't being a fucking idiot and getting sent off. Even had a half decent spell at Marseille.

We were shite beyond belief and, as our best player at the time and a hard worker, I think it's understandable that he thought his team mates were sub-par.

Despite all of his baggage, PL teams kept signing him, England even called him up despite the abundance of talent they had at the time (Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Hargreaves, Barry, Carrick etc.).
I think that shows he wasn't completely shite.

Being picked for England is no guarantee of quality. I'd guess that any number of posters on here, given 10 minutes, could come up with a dozen average (at best) players who won England caps.

Mate I played for City and Sunderland as a kid , i promise you it’s as not as easy as you think , Barton was great for us end of and just my opinion he should be held in a higher regard by are/our fans , as I have said in previous posts him and Dunne , Distin and James kept us up 2 years on the spin and without them we would have been relegated and probably not been brought by the people now who we owe are success to .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.