Joey Barton calling Ian Cheeseman on GMR, 06/07

Mate I played for City and Sunderland as a kid , i promise you it’s as not as easy as you think , Barton was great for us end of and just my opinion he should be held in a higher regard by are/our fans , as I have said in previous posts him and Dunne , Distin and James kept us up 2 years on the spin and without them we would have been relegated and probably not been brought by the people now who we owe are success to .
And once James had fucked off to Pompey it was basically all Dunne/Distin and Barton keeping us up.

I rated Barton in the Pearce era, you could tell he was giving it absolutely everything for us. He got dragged through the tabloids because of his cousin(was it his cousin?) and from there on he was a marked man.

He did some completely shit things to other people and has done even worse since, but if we are judging the player, then at the time, we would have been absolutely fucked without him.

Reactions: kun
Ffs , another one
He was a liability and we were lucky to get any money for him considering the ABH charges against him, and the fact he had a 0% chance of rejoining our first team squad.
He was a better player than people give him credit for but we sold him at the right time and the money we got was solid, and more than we should have been expecting. Definitely a good sale IMO.

And once James had fucked off to Pompey it was basically all Dunne/Distin and Barton keeping us up.

Mate I pretty certain that jimharri went/goes to games it’s hard work , how anyone ( forget about the personally stuff ) does not understand how good he was for us , he dragged us through games , whilst the other 3 tried to keep a clean sheet

He was a liability and we were lucky to get any money for him considering the ABH charges against him, and the fact he had a 0% chance of rejoining our first team squad.
He was a better player than people give him credit for but we sold him at the right time and the money we got was solid, and more than we should have been expecting. Definitely a good sale IMO.

We sold Torres last season for 45 million , and that’s off the top of my head

We sold Torres last season for 45 million , and that’s off the top of my head

Yeah but that £45m meant less to us and was less (percentage-wise) above what we should have expected.

Put it this way:
Barton was a player who probably should have been fired. Was never going to play for the club again. And the club were dirt-poor. £5m for a player who was a net negative to keep around at the time is great business.

Ferran was, and to a degree still is, a high profile, high potential, international. He has 35 caps at the age of 22.
City are now so rich and profitable that Ferran's £45m transfer (which we've supposedly received very little of so far) made a smaller impact than Barton's £5m transfer. Ferran was considered to be sold at market value, and many were complaining we didn't get enough for the potential they saw in the player.

These aren't comparable, and I'm not even taking inflation into account. These deals were 15 years apart.

Yeah but that £45m meant less to us and was less (percentage-wise) above what we should have expected.

Put it this way:
Barton was a player who probably should have been fired. Was never going to play for the club again. And the club were dirt-poor. £5m for a player who was a net negative to keep around at the time is great business.

Ferran was, and to a degree still is, a high profile, high potential, international. He has 35 caps at the age of 22.
City are now so rich and profitable that Ferran's £45m transfer (which we've supposedly received very little of so far) made a smaller impact than Barton's £5m transfer. Ferran was considered to be sold at market value, and many were complaining we didn't get enough for the potential they saw in the player.

These aren't comparable, and I'm not even taking inflation into account. These deals were 15 years apart.

Point taken , decent post tbf

Reactions: kun

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.