Joey Barton

Joey Barton is an idiot, of that there is no doubt. But I suspect that, however ill-advised his comment was, it was ignorance and stupidity that led him to use the word "holocaust". The BBC chose to capitalise it, which, of course, gives it a definitive meaning, one which I doubt he meant.

The distinction was drawn that he said "a holocaust" not "the holocaust" for the city game, but it was 20 odd years ago.

It is the same in this case, a player having a holocaust, he is trying to be clever but it doesn't really make sense, he just meant a disaster.

Pretty sure Holocaust was a word before the 40s. did he specifically refer to The Holocaust?

Growing up in the 80s i thought it meant total annihilation. Didn't know the nuclear holocaust i was scared shitless of was only a danger if you were Jewish
I believe that is true, a holocaust is a disaster wiping out everything. As apposed to The Holocaust.

Barton has plenty of form for being a balloon and the use of this word is ill advised. And a bit pathetic.

However, there are hundreds of similar idiots in English football who have routinely used the word in the same context, going back decades.

Probably not as many now but I can't imagine there's a British footballer over the last 50 years who hasn't heard the term used in a similar (stupid) context fairly regularly.

Barton is just daft enough to use it in the media in 2021.

I think he's an idiot for doing so but he's done far worse in the past.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.