John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
only conceded once in two games after letting in 8 in our previous 3. Signs that we're tightening up?

Absolute bollocks. We spent £30m on Otamendi,

I'd question that decision too, don't get me wrong. Not the quickest, dives in and although not bad in the air he's fairly small for a centre back. With Otamendi in situ already tho, and question marks over Kompanys long term fitness, I said back in the summer Stones was the wrong move and not what we needed at the time (especially at 50 mil).

Last 11 games. 7 with Stones won 1. 4 without won all 4. Now I'm not saying it's all his fault obviously, and I'm no kolarov lover, but there's no doubt we're better with kolarov/Otamendi at centre half right now, despite their deficiencies .....

Last edited:
Young lad with huge potential - Who would you have signed if available ?

A great signing in my opinion and played very well at the start of the season but unfortunately our team has had a wobble & when we start losing the mistakes and finger pointing become more noticeable.

Good question. VVD most probably. I feared we were too small at centre half with Stones/Otamendi. And said so before the season started, so it's not just because of a recent wobble. I'd seen lots of him and just don't think he's a good enough defender who has a habit of regular brain farts!!

He has potential but for that price, it was ridiculous. For 50M, we should be talking about some of the most accomplished defenders. The likes of Van Dijk, Alderweirld, Marquinhos, Varane, Laporte, Gimenez etc are the type of playerd we should have looked at. Sure, not all would be ideal but all have shown a good ability on the ball as well as solid defending. Marquinhos, in particular, would be a player worth such as outlay.

Agree with you completely.

Young lad with huge potential - Who would you have signed if available ?

A great signing in my opinion and played very well at the start of the season but unfortunately our team has had a wobble & when we start losing the mistakes and finger pointing become more noticeable.

I have a feeling 50 million will be a bargain he could captain the club and play in that back line for 10 years plus as well as filling the English quota

I just wonder if his slight dip has anything to do with his GF troubles

He will be back stronger a quality player

Pep saw all the potential in the world,with the english and because it's city taxes the price is ok

Yeah but he was utter gash at Everton last year, and let's be honest, he's still making all the same mistakes.

Now in his defense, Pep hasn't helped him lately. He took him out and then switched to four, and stones probably would perform better in the 4. But he's made a dozen mistakes so far and he needs to improve. We can't leave him in the team at the expense of points.

I think Pep did the right thing taking him out of the firing line. He was making silly mistakes and the media were gagging for a chance to destroy him like they tried with Sterling. Gives him the chance to get his head right, work hard in training and win back his place.

Stones is class,his first few games for us were superb.He's dropped a couple of clangers recently but they werent down to a lack of ability but poor decision making.
Two quality full backs,a complimentary partner,the team understanding and implementing Peps methods......and he'll be a star for us,mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.