John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are curable of course but nobody chooses to have a lapse in concentration.

This is a rather long analogy but I think it fits so humour me -

Do you drive? Remember when you learned to drive? You made hundreds of mistakes in every lesson, and I bet your driving instructor stopped you from crashing almost constantly - despite the fact you were concentrating as hard as you possibly could.

And now I bet you drive around with 50% concentration, chatting away to passengers or listening to the radio, looking at the sat nav and thinking about other things - and you almost never make a mistake and hopefully don't crash.

That's just where Stones is at the moment. He's the learner driver who's trying so hard but still making mistakes.

And while he's learning, he's swapping between right hand drive and left hand drive every lesson (3 at the back or 4).

The big problem is that the guy in the passenger seat isn't an experienced instructor, its Otamendi, who can drive an automatic but not this car.

So Stones makes mistakes and sometimes he gets bailed out, but sometimes they both make mistakes or Stones makes a huge mistake and there's a car crash.

However, in 6 months time they'll both have passed their test and got some experience under their belts and the mistakes will dry up.

He just needs time.

Cheers for a thoughtful answer. I happen to like both players and, despite the present avalanche of criticism, share your view that they will turn things round big time.

Had a couple or four pints with an Everton fan tonight. He says he's glad they got rid and that Stones is making exactly the same mistakes as last year. That doesn't alter my view and I hope to be having the last laugh.

Last edited:
I honestly think he'd be dynamite as the holding midfielder. He isnt a very good central defender but IMO has all the attributes to be the conductor at the base of the midfield. I think we bought well but his potential is in a different position to the one we bought him for.
He's too slow on the ball to play in midfield.

He's too slow on the ball to play in midfield.

where are you getting this from ? he's easily one of the quicker defenders, he's not slow at all. he takes his time passing some times, but dont see how thats a bad thing. he's quicker/just as fast as say barry, de jong, carrick, xabi alonso....

Last edited:
The lad was the second coming of Franz Beckenbauer on here a few months ago ffs, now hes getting the good old bluemoon treatment.

Still a quality player and if Pep lets the lad play his game (I would say he's clearly been coached to do the stupid fuck about with it at the back stuff (i.e. for Leicesters 4th)), he will be a star for us I have no doubt.

Every confidence that he will cut out the mistakes in time , the only worry is the character assassination the lad is enduring at the moment the media and opposition tried to finish Sterling last year , its just Stones's turn in the barrel , Pep helped Sterling to overcome his problems so Stones will be OK , he could even be the next Phil Jones :)

2 wins on the bounce without stones in team.

coincidental?

Edited - just thinking about this and we won 7-8 on bounce with him in team so forget that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.