John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangala had very very few good games for us. Funnily enough it's always "the Chelsea game" that gets brought up. Not the countless times he lost his man in the box, the countless times he switched off, the countless times the ball bounced off him like his feet were made of concrete, the countless times he put us under pressure with a shit pass. Absence really does make some people on here think players are better than they are.

I'm not agreeing with Neville here, Stones played a blinder last night.

But he's 100% right on Mangala.

Here's a few "alternative facts" that City fans like to forget when rating Mangala.

1. He played most of his games in between an awful Martin Demichelis and even worse left back last year.
2. He played blinders in several games. We all laughed about Ibra signing for the rags, and sold Mangala's performances against him short in doing so.
3. The entire team was dross last year. Perhaps Fernandinho actually isn't all that good, as we're witnessing lately. Otamendi was forgiven for being a headless chicken, because it was of course, all Mangala's fault. Yaya was on leave last year and Silva played while injured for the year. De Bruyne played well in patches. But it was all Mangala's fault.

I've always maintained he was a far better player than we gave him credit for, but harshly ended up as the boo boy due to 2 bad games, vs Hull and Dippers.

But as for Stones, he played out of his skin last night. The only player we had on the pitch defensively that actually stepped up to the challenge. I've criticised him all year long, but last night the penny seemed to drop for him. I honestly hope he builds on it.

Never rated him before we signed him, but when he signed I hoped he'd prove me wrong, but so far has done little to do that. He's confident on the ball, but not especially good with it, while his defending is average at very best. Doesn't get tight enough to people, reacts to things instead of reading play and his marking and decision making leaves a lot to be desired. At the moment he looks like an average midfield player filling in at CB more than he looks like a proper defender

Needs to seriously improve if he's ever going to make that price tag look anything short of ridiculous.
Yep, think all the praise he gets is people fighting against opposing fans view of how shit he is rather than judging his actual performances. He's neither great or shit, just completely average and we got conned.

Yep, think all the praise he gets is people fighting against opposing fans view of how shit he is rather than judging his actual performances. He's neither great or shit, just completely average and we got conned.

Pull your head out of your arse. I have a lot more time for people like Thaksin who can come on here and say he had a good game despite not rating him than you who just invents stories to explain why so many people say he had a good game.

I still think he has a lot of improving to do defensively but the second half last night was probably the best I've seen him play. Ultimately though the defensive performance in the first leg is what ended up costing the team and he played a role in that

I still think he has a lot of improving to do defensively but the second half last night was probably the best I've seen him play. Ultimately though the defensive performance in the first leg is what ended up costing the team and he played a role in that

Ultimately what cost us was not showing up for the first 45 minutes last night, not the first leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.