John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We lost due to the away goals.

The worst goals in the tie, were their keeper's error v Aguero & Stones' pathetic, schoolboy, effort v Falcao. If he'd defended that as he will have been taught, when he was ten, we would still be in it. But he had to be clever & we are out. Actually scoring one of the ten easy chances he's had from a corner, is not a get out for not doing his job.

No, I completely agree that it doesn't let him off the hook but placing the blame for our exit squarely at his feet for his part in their third goal (out of six) is absolutely cat shit insane.

We went out because of attrocious marking from a set piece, that's exactly what happened.

With Peps fondness of trying players in various different positions ive always thought he might try Stones as DM he looks to have the attributes for that as im not sure he is going to make it as a top class CB

No, I completely agree that it doesn't let him off the hook but placing the blame for our exit squarely at his feet for his part in their third goal (out of six) is absolutely cat shit insane.

We went out because of attrocious marking from a set piece, that's exactly what happened.

Monaco knew, from our pathetic first leg defensive display, that if they went for us, they could quickly get back two goals & win on away goals. We knew it too.

Three, would have looked too many & Monaco would be playing in a bit of hope, rather than belief. Totally different game, which our wussy shitbag players might have had the balls to turn up for.

Our shite defending in he first leg, caused the 2nd leg.

But let's have a look at the 2nd leg. Striker runs past non existent Kolarov, no cover whatsoever from Stones, great save Willy. No 23 runs past crap attempt from Aguero & Sane, Stones reacts too late (Kolarov still sleeping behind him) throws himself on the floor Otamendi style to block a tame near post shot, & misses the follow up, whilst obscuring the keeper's view (Kolarov still having a nap) Goal.

Stones comes out to right back position, fails to anticipate that this really IS an Otamendi slide in moment where desperate block is needed & the fullback smashes in a cross unopposed. Pathetic defending in centre by Kolarov & Co, goal.

Third goal, ball is played into the centre of our penalty area. One centre back jumps to miss it, the other, is, for some reason, stranded at the far post. The 2nd favourite to win the header, if the first Monaco player doesn't head it, is another Monaco player.

All this on a night when Stones is apparently playing a blinder.

With Peps fondness of trying players in various different positions ive always thought he might try Stones as DM he looks to have the attributes for that as im not sure he is going to make it as a top class CB

Otamendi imo, produces more quality direct pases to the strikers than Stones does & I wouldn't mind seeing either of them tried there.

Pep doesn't like having 'defensive' mids, but it could win us a game especially in a big away leg against a tough attack. (I do think Stones will make it, incidentally but right now he isn't 'it')

Monaco knew, from our pathetic first leg defensive display, that if they went for us, they could quickly get back two goals & win on away goals. We knew it too.

Three, would have looked too many & Monaco would be playing in a bit of hope, rather than belief. Totally different game, which our wussy shitbag players might have had the balls to turn up for.

Our shite defending in he first leg, caused the 2nd leg.

But let's have a look at the 2nd leg. Striker runs past non existent Kolarov, no cover whatsoever from Stones, great save Willy. No 23 runs past crap attempt from Aguero & Sane, Stones reacts too late (Kolarov still sleeping behind him) throws himself on the floor Otamendi style to block a tame near post shot, & misses the follow up, whilst obscuring the keeper's view (Kolarov still having a nap) Goal.

Stones comes out to right back position, fails to anticipate that this really IS an Otamendi slide in moment where desperate block is needed & the fullback smashes in a cross unopposed. Pathetic defending in centre by Kolarov & Co, goal.

Third goal, ball is played into the centre of our penalty area. One centre back jumps to miss it, the other, is, for some reason, stranded at the far post. The 2nd favourite to win the header, if the first Monaco player doesn't head it, is another Monaco player.

All this on a night when Stones is apparently playing a blinder.

That first attempt was in no way Stones' fault, Dinho gets caught napping, Kolarov jumps out of Mbappe's way and John simply can't make up the ground in time to cover his brain fart of a centre back partner. Should we now slag him off for not being as fast as Mbappe?

The first goal he did well to block the cross ("tame cross" is bullshit revisionism seeing as it had to be blocked because it was fizzed at four Monaco player waiting) , takes a while to get back up as Mendy lands on him, doesn't recover in time and the marking in the middle let's us down.

Second goal he gets left to deal with two players and Raheem doesn't even bother staying goal side of Fabinho.

Third goal is just an absolute shambles from everyone involved.

Fair enough if you expect better, I'm not sure anyone would disagree, but the disproportionate blame laid at his feet by you is rather unfortunate.

That first attempt was in no way Stones' fault, Dinho gets caught napping, Kolarov jumps out of Mbappe's way and John simply can't make up the ground in time to cover his brain fart of a centre back partner. Should we now slag him off for not being as fast as Mbappe?

The first goal he did well to block the cross ("tame cross" is bullshit revisionism seeing as it had to be blocked because it was fizzed at four Monaco player waiting) , takes a while to get back up as Mendy lands on him, doesn't recover in time and the marking in the middle let's us down.

Second goal he gets left to deal with two players and Raheem doesn't even bother staying goal side of Fabinho.

Third goal is just an absolute shambles from everyone involved.

Fair enough if you expect better, I'm not sure anyone would disagree, but the disproportionate blame laid at his feet by you is rather unfortunate.

People in this thread, are saying that game is an example of Stones 'stepping up'.

He was shite, same as the rest, is my point. And he was shite in the first leg as well.

And imo, that first attempt, where nobody is covering shitty Kolarov after a mid gets caught napping, is precisely why we are shit at defending. 1: nobdy expects it. 2: nobody can do anything, even if they do expect it as we don't have a single defender with genuine pace.

Otamendi imo, produces more quality direct pases to the strikers than Stones does & I wouldn't mind seeing either of them tried there.

Pep doesn't like having 'defensive' mids, but it could win us a game especially in a big away leg against a tough attack. (I do think Stones will make it, incidentally but right now he isn't 'it')
Agree. Ota is a fwd thinking defender and is more than comfortable bringing it out than Stones. For me, atm, Stones is too risk averse and inevitably always looks for the back or sideways pass.

Agree. Ota is a fwd thinking defender and is more than comfortable bringing it out than Stones. For me, atm, Stones is too risk averse and inevitably always looks for the back or sideways pass.

Absolutely. He wants to live up to his rep of being a great passer/breaking the lines etc, but half the time he can't see a pass or pick the moment to go, so he plays it safe & when he overthinks it, he underhits one back at he keeper, sidways or just passes to the oppo.

When the game is going well, his confidence grows & he starts to show more quality.

People in this thread, are saying that game is an example of Stones 'stepping up'.

He was shite, same as the rest, is my point. And he was shite in the first leg as well.

And imo, that first attempt, where nobody is covering shitty Kolarov after a mid gets caught napping, is precisely why we are shit at defending. 1: nobdy expects it. 2: nobody can do anything, even if they do expect it as we don't have a single defender with genuine pace.

Imo he did step up in that he was our best player and the only one who looked willing to fight. Like I said, not the best performance (not even his best for us) but at least he showed a bit of bottle.

The second point I agree with to an extent but you can't expect us to be able to stop every chance for the opposition we bring on ourselves by making two absolutely amateur mistakes in the centre of our own defensive third. Sometimes you can get away with it but at CL level it usually takes one such error to concede a goal.

Ideally we can make up for every single mistake made but we're talking about the best teams in Europe who punish single mistakes, not playing in the Premier League, having our captain fall over on the halfway line and allowing Demba Ba to do his best Moses impression.

What happened to that theory we only let in goals with a back 3 by the way ?

But I'm sure Robbie Savage said it was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.