John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be that we finally have a manager in this country who will change our attitude to how football should be played. The Stones video only shows that other players in the Everton team were not in a position to receive the ball from Stones once the defensive work was done. It then looks like Stones over playing and taking unnecessary risk.

The football from the back against West Ham was some of the most exhilarating I have seen in my forty years of watching City. Watching three defenders completely remove the pressing attackers from the game and create extra space for the attack was a joy to watch. Conversely, I hear coaches every week telling defenders to 'get rid' because they've put a big lad at the back and all the footballers further forward

Merson is just a product of the past where you take no risk at the back and rely totally on the attackers to create space. We have moved on but let's face it, many in the stands have gasped, game after game, as soon as a defender has passed the ball out to a deep midfielder or across the back. We all can learn and fortunately, it's us that will lay the foundations.
Great post.
I also share your enjoyment of watching City play the ball out from the back..and as you say the West ham game is a landmark in that respect.it really was.the movement of the ball was so smooth,it actually drained the aptitude of the forwards for such punishing pressing work,which of course is what you want..tIre the strikers out so they are less effective..the ball moves faster than any man ,and watching City play their way out of defence so smoothly is a definitive buzz for me this season,it's fantastic to see and it's been played down by the media cos it's us doing it not utd...The passing movements will get better and better I'm sure as the season goes on but already I have to say Stones has slotted in like he was made to play football for City under Pep. A young lad who has taken it upon himself to be the major ball player from the back ,taking responsibility with such confidence in his own ability..so far so smooth.

As well as being a good player, it is obvious the Stones knows the tactical side of the game. He presisted to play this way at Everton even under pressure from the fans. I have been over the moon with his play, as he fits well, like a piece of the jigsaw.
I wonder how he will perform in the England team though, playing the Alardyce way and now being a City player brings extra pressure from the media.

I really hope he can continue as he has started. Well done fella. Calm under pressure, athletic and strong, I bet VK can't wait to get back.

Don't have a problem with big Sam having a few words with Stones, he works his defenders hard on their position in games, you only had to look how he sorted that Sunderland defence out when he got there, they stopped leaking a lot of goals.

As well as being a good player, it is obvious the Stones knows the tactical side of the game. He presisted to play this way at Everton even under pressure from the fans. I have been over the moon with his play, as he fits well, like a piece of the jigsaw.
I wonder how he will perform in the England team though, playing the Alardyce way and now being a City player brings extra pressure from the media.
Nerves of steel, he has, and quiet confidence. It will serve him well when playing for England

Don't have a problem with big Sam having a few words with Stones, he works his defenders hard on their position in games, you only had to look how he sorted that Sunderland defence out when he got there, they stopped leaking a lot of goals.

Fair comment. Stones seems to have his head screwed on. He can listen to advice/experience from different sources and filter the best.

Can't see BFS doing him any harm. In fact he's already surpassed Woy by at least picking the lad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.