John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much of this team is reliant on Stones & Maguire, who are both have excellent tournaments

Would like to see Walker and Maguire bring the ball forward more. The team balance is not quite right. Too much of a gap between Henderson and the front 4 who all want to play in the no10 role. Sterling is doing the hold up work and trying to link with others, Alli is playing at a snails pace and Lingard isn't showing for the ball enough.

Too much of our possession is defence to Henderson amd back due to a lack of options dropping for the ball. Alli hasn't justified his selection. Get Delph in the side instead to provide more of a box to box player so Sterling Lingard and Kane can run into space and our full backs can push up. Rose for Young.

Stones is trying to get that to happen and clearly is frustrated. We looked best when Walker and Maguire brought the ball forward to suck in a Colombian player and then find a teammate in space. Otherwise it is too static and you can see Stones getting frustrated. Was a rock last night though. Strong against Falcao too which was good to see. When he is used to Silva, Ferny and De Bruyne all wanting the ball it must be frustrating to play in this England team at times.

Going by last night he's basically our midfield too. Henderson might be doing a lot of running around but he's never showing for the ball and all forward movement is completely reliant on Stones and Maguire!
Southgate actually seemed to move Dier into the back line and Stones into midfield for the second half of extra time and it worked, don't be surprised if you see more of it.

Going by last night he's basically our midfield too. Henderson might be doing a lot of running around but he's never showing for the ball and all forward movement is completely reliant on Stones and Maguire!

You're right, of course, but England's basic problem — and it is a huge weakness — is that they haven't got a midfield. Up front, we're actually as good as most of what's left, and at the back we're fairly sound. I think that Henderson entirely lacks vision, whether for Liverpool or England. Dele Alli should be making his presence felt more.
Interestingly, one of Belgium's great strengths, and why they will come good, I believe, is that that they have a central defender, Vinny, who can cut a beautiful through ball from behind the midfield (he did it several times against Japan) straight to their front men, and they've also got a class midfield to take over if he, Alderweireld and Vertonghen choose to play the short ball. I still have them as (strong) dark horses to win. Brazil, of course, is the great test. Now we will really see what those two teams are made of, and if one of them has been hyped.

Last edited:
He's been our best player at this tournament yet has barely featured when the praise is being dished out.

His form is fine,it has been for a long time,the injury doesn't need bringing up every time a comment is made - its history.

Yup, thus far he has been England's best player in terms of all round contribution. He is quite literally central to how England are trying to play.

What I also liked last night was that we saw some real edge from him.

Yup, thus far he has been England's best player in terms of all round contribution. He is quite literally central to how England are trying to play.

What I also liked last night was that we saw some real edge from him.
Edge,calmness,confidence and leadership.

He should be Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.