John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands up, I wasn't keen on Stones when we signed him and despite a decent run of form earlier this season I'm still not keen on him now.

Aside from his mistakes,which can happen to anyone although Stonesy makes more than his fair share, I just think he isn't a defender. He doesn't think like one, he doesn't sense danger, doesn't see the bigger picture. He's no dog in him either, doesn't seem to take pride in dominating the opposing attacker, he has no real pace and no strength. If Pep wants a ball playing centre half he may as well sign a midfielder to play there

I also think he's a selfish player, he'll play awkward passes to teammates who aren't as good on the ball as him which results in them slightly miscontrolling it and playing a wayward pass so it looks like it's their fault we've lost possession. He did it a few times last night with Walker.

If this Laporte signs and he's as good as he's supposed to be then I foresee a summer exit for Stones and I won't shed any tears over it.

Agree fully about his passing, he hasn't been sharp enough and under hits them far to much. Not sure what is going on with him at the minute. We need to get him on the juice for a year and make him work the doors part time to toughen him up.

Hands up, I wasn't keen on Stones when we signed him and despite a decent run of form earlier this season I'm still not keen on him now.

Aside from his mistakes,which can happen to anyone although Stonesy makes more than his fair share, I just think he isn't a defender. He doesn't think like one, he doesn't sense danger, doesn't see the bigger picture. He's no dog in him either, doesn't seem to take pride in dominating the opposing attacker, he has no real pace and no strength. If Pep wants a ball playing centre half he may as well sign a midfielder to play there

I also think he's a selfish player, he'll play awkward passes to teammates who aren't as good on the ball as him which results in them slightly miscontrolling it and playing a wayward pass so it looks like it's their fault we've lost possession. He did it a few times last night with Walker.

If this Laporte signs and he's as good as he's supposed to be then I foresee a summer exit for Stones and I won't shed any tears over it.

Most of this is complete cobblers, he's excellent at sniffing danger one of the reasons why we had conceded so few goals in spite of committing to a high line and and attack.
He was dominating most attackers earlier they weren't getting a sniff against him.
We were successfully playing out from the back the vast majority of the time lead by Stones.
Laporte is left footed , Stones right they are here to complement each other not compete.
I foresee no summer exit and more bouquets than brickbats come the end of the season.

He doesn't look at ease with his movement. If you've ever done a hammy you are held back psychologically from going full pelt. It took me months to trust mine fully. Horrible injury

You genuinely think if Laporte plays well that we're going to sell Stones this summer?

are you actually being serious ? its absolute rubbish what you've put and you clearly haven't watched him play this season at all because hes proven that he is a good defender.

You genuinely think if Laporte plays well that we're going to sell Stones this summer?

I don't think he's trained on. It would be a surprise if we sold him but only because Pep has such faith in his potential. At some point if he doesn't improve sufficiently that faith may wane.

Nico's just signed a 4 year contract, he's going nowhere. If Laporte hits the ground running I don't think it's unthinkable that we'd sell stones.

I don't think he's trained on. It would be a surprise if we sold him but only because Pep has such faith in his potential. At some point if he doesn't improve sufficiently that faith may wane.

Nico's just signed a 4 year contract, he's going nowhere. If Laporte hits the ground running I don't think it's unthinkable that we'd sell stones.

Stones has been fantastic for 90% of his season and because he's in a run of bad form since his return you think we should sell him? Just seems far too extreme in my opinion.

Stones has been fantastic for 90% of his season and because he's in a run of bad form since his return you think we should sell him? Just seems far too extreme in my opinion.

No mate i'm not a kneejerk reactionist it's hard for me to judge if he's been fantastic earlier this season as we've been so fantastic that he hasn't been under pressure.

I accept that he's a part of the whole and has contributed in some part to us being fantastic but just because the whole is fantastic it doesn't automatically follow that each component part has also been fantastic.

I wasn't convinced when we signed him and i'm yet to be convinced now. I could be wrong but i just don't see much improvement.

This was on Page 1 of this thread" -All the criticism of the signing was accurate. Was very poor defensively his last season for Everton, and he hasn't shown much here. Looked boss the first 10 games or so of last season because teams hadn't started pressing us yet, but I don't really know what his standout defensive attributes are now."

He needs to get back on his game sharpish..come on John.

No mate i'm not a kneejerk reactionist it's hard for me to judge if he's been fantastic earlier this season as we've been so fantastic that he hasn't been under pressure.

I accept that he's a part of the whole and has contributed in some part to us being fantastic but just because the whole is fantastic it doesn't automatically follow that each component part has also been fantastic.

I wasn't convinced when we signed him and i'm yet to be convinced now. I could be wrong but i just don't see much improvement.
Stones has been arguably the best City player since September/October, his current struggles can be explained by recent injury. I wouldn't be surprised by such post in June (admittedly, I was holding the same opinion), right now it sounds almost insane, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.