John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vardy sees Stones move a yard towards the runner and peels a yard back off him creating the space ( for what was a great cross ) to give himself the room required to punish him. Stones realises quickly he's out of position and tries to back in tighter but by then it is too late , his job there is to cut any cross out but he gets caught cold. Stones cant go chasing a runner - why?? because if he does he leaves space in behind him for Vardy to attack , yet he did and what happened. Stones wrongly tries to anticipate a pass to the runner , if he was a good defender he would hold his position and not commit until the ball was played.

It's not BS analysis it is an honest assessment of what actually happened.
So tell me then, had the ball been passed to the front post Runner, what would you suggest Stones do? Attempt to cover the 10 yards after the pass is received? He wouldnt make it. Not to mention the front post Runner was the easier pass and the greater danger. Vardy made a great play, but that was a harder play.

Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest you were BSing. Simply stating that the analysis is clouded by the narrative that Stones is error prone. He really isn't. Not anymore than any defender.

Totally agree, the right back has got to think that the danger is Vardy and get closer to him. Stones has done well to see that someone was about to make that run towards the front post.

So tell me then, had the ball been passed to the front post Runner, what would you suggest Stones do? Attempt to cover the 10 yards after the pass is received? He wouldnt make it. Not to mention the front post Runner was the easier pass and the greater danger. Vardy made a great play, but that was a harder play.

Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest you were BSing. Simply stating that the analysis is clouded by the narrative that Stones is error prone. He really isn't. Not anymore than any defender.

He shouldn't commit until the ball is actually played , worst case scenario he makes a poor decision ( tries to anticipate a pass to the runner ) and costs a goal.

If the ball was played to the runner ( who was heading away from goal ) then Stones must narrow the angle whilst closing down the runner , which would've been easy enough considering the runner probably needs at least one touch to control and then turn to face goal.

Vardy made a basic play in simply peeling a yard off Stones when he committed but it clearly showed Vardy's football intelligence.

" Not to mention the front post runner was the easier pass and the greater danger." Who scored??? therefor who was the "greater danger".

The problem isn't Stones, it's Martinez and his coaching team. Players have said that they don't bother training the defensive side of the game.

Give him a month under another manager (Mourinho, Big Sam, Pellegrini, whoever) and the papers will be calling him the best defender in the world again.

Just heard from someone claiming to be ITK that we're in for both Stones and Barklay for a combined £70m. Would help our home grown but really not sure

Efcblue, I don't think a month of defensive coaching under pellers would help his prowess. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.