John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is worth us buying a defender because I think a lot of our issues at the back lie with how we set up as a team. I think when Kompany plays we just about manage to hold it together at the back in spite of this. We also execute the offside trap with better accuracy and we have a centre back who is comfortable on the ball. Given the fine margins in football, we just about get away with it with Kompany but I'd be reluctant to bring in somebody else purely because he is playing well in and an entirely different system at a different club. That's what we did with Bony.

We are his most obvious destination. He put a transfer request to try and force a move to Chelsea so there's every chance of him doing the same again for us. The deal could be done at the end of January for £40m, it depends how much we want him.
I think the bidding will start at £50 million.

Everton concede goals for fun, Stones has looked pretty dodgy every time I've watched him this season.

It's clear that Stones is great on the ball, but he's not a very good defender. I don't think Martinez is the manager to make him become a great defender either.

Stones just doesn't seem right as a January buy. He's too inexperienced to come straight into a shaky defence and settle in immediately. He's not going to be an automatic choice ahead of Kompany (when fit) and Otamendi. With Kompany out, he would end up playing some games alongside Otamendi, others alongside Mangala. He's a summer buy if at all.

Stones just doesn't seem right as a January buy. He's too inexperienced to come straight into a shaky defence and settle in immediately. He's not going to be an automatic choice ahead of Kompany (when fit) and Otamendi. With Kompany out, he would end up playing some games alongside Otamendi, others alongside Mangala. He's a summer buy if at all.
Every top club will be chasing him in the summer. If he's available now then sign him up.

Every top club will be chasing him in the summer. If he's available now then sign him up.

I agree.

I think with Demichelis likely to leave in January, Mangala not 100% convincing and Kompany having a tough time with injuries I think going for Stones should be something we should be considering.

If we are to get Guardiola then for me Stones could be his Piqué equivalent and for me he is perfect as a long term solution to Kompany as I think he looks a captain in the making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.